+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

ashraf09

Oct 4, 2015
Hi Guys,

So I applied for my PR on June 2017 and got my PR on 26th March 2019. Before that I was in Canada as a student and work permit.

So I am planning to apply for citizenship soon. So I visited my home country for around 8 months (240 days) from November 2017 to August 2018 before my PR was accepted. As I was away for more than 183 days during last 4 years, do I need to provide with the police certificate? Or is it because I was in the country of origin, I don't have to provide the police certificate? I am really confused, please if anyone can help me that will be great.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi Guys,

So I applied for my PR on June 2017 and got my PR on 26th March 2019. Before that I was in Canada as a student and work permit.

So I am planning to apply for citizenship soon. So I visited my home country for around 8 months (240 days) from November 2017 to August 2018 before my PR was accepted. As I was away for more than 183 days during last 4 years, do I need to provide with the police certificate? Or is it because I was in the country of origin, I don't have to provide the police certificate? I am really confused, please if anyone can help me that will be great.
If the country you were in was your "country of origin" (the country were you were residing/living) immediately before establishing Permanent Residence in Canada, then no, you don't have to provide a police certificate (as long as you provided a police certificate for that country for your PR application).

ashraf09

Oct 4, 2015
If the country you were in was your "country of origin" (the country were you were residing/living) immediately before establishing Permanent Residence in Canada, then no, you don't have to provide a police certificate (as long as you provided a police certificate for that country for your PR application).
So I was actually residing in Canada before I got my PR. However, I went in for a holiday which got extended and I ended up staying for 8 months. Then I returned back to Canada, stayed for another 5-6 months in Canada after which I got my PR. So not really sure if my home country counts as the country of origin immediately before my PR or it should be Canada as I have been staying in here for 2 years before I got my PR for study and work?

Dutta1503

Jun 16, 2021
PART - 1

WARNING: LONG POST

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all doing good and staying safe in these uncertain times.

Its about time – A few people have been requesting me for a detailed post for citizenship (like my post on Express Entry / OINP HCPS). Also, it is almost my time to apply for citizenship (I’ll be applying later this year). Like always, I will do my best to be as correct and accurate as possible, if you find something to be incorrect, PLEASE let me know.

Since (unfortunately) I can't make this as a single post, I'll split it into 6 parts.

IMPORTANT:

This post covers the information required for adults to apply for regular citizenship. There are other processes like fast-track process for Armed Forces personnel and the like but they are out of the scope of this post.

If you are applying as a family and have a minor child, please follow the procedure to apply for citizenship for minor children IN ADDITION to the steps in this post.

Use this guide as a reference - I will provide links where necessary - It is important to actually open and read the links on the IRCC website. I cannot stress this enough.

Use this guide as a supplement to the IRCC's Instruction Guide . Like I did for my Express Entry post, I will split my post into phases.
  • Pre-Application Phase -> Getting ready to apply / Pre-requisites for submitting a citizenship application
  • Application Phase -> Filling out your application / Gathering Documents / Submitting your application package / Tips
  • Post-Application Phase -> AOR / Additional Document Requests / Test / Oath and next steps
Pre-Application Phase

Irrespective of how we first moved to Canada (student / work / PR / refugee) most of us who moved here have had a goal – applying for Canadian Citizenship. The time is nearing and it is important to understand the process in detail and try not to make any mistakes. The process is a little time consuming – do it once and do it right.

Let’s get to the basics.

Minimum requirements to be able to apply for citizenship:

1. Be a Permanent Resident of Canada

• Your PR status must be in good standing (You should not have a fraud investigation / removal order or the like against you). In other words, your PR status should not be in question.
    • Note: If your PR card has expired, you can still apply. Your PR status is NOT affected if your PR card expires.
  • Naturally, you should have maintained your PR status by being physically present in Canada for at least 2 years in a 5-year period.
2. Time spent in Canada
  • Most people should have spent at least 3 years (1095 days) in a 5-year period (physically present in Canada) immediately preceding the date you are signing the citizenship application.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Permanent Resident counts as one day towards physical presence.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Temporary Resident (Student / Work Visa, for instance) can be calculated as half a day towards physical presence up to a maximum of 365 days only.
  • For instance:
    • Arthur came in on a work visa on Jan 02 2014.
    • He got his PR on Jan 03 2016. He never left the country.
    • The number of days as a temporary resident is 730 days.
    • He spends 2 years (730 days) in Canada as a permanent resident.
    • Arthur can sign and submit his citizenship application on Jan 04 2018.
    • He counts each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident as half a day (which amounts to 365 days) and he counts each day spent as a permanent resident as one day (which amounts to 730 days).
  • The physical presence calculator is a very handy tool to keep track of your travels and calculate physical presence. It is also mandatory that you keep a track of your travels here so that when it is your time to apply, you can print it and submit it with your application.
  • Note 1: If you crossed an international border and returned to Canada the same day, it counts as being physically present in Canada.
    • For instance, traveling to US in the morning for shopping and returning to Canada the same evening – this day does count towards physical presence.
    • It is important to note that you MUST STILL DISCLOSE these trips in your physical presence calculator.
  • Note 2: Similarly, while traveling internationally, the day you leave Canada and the day you return to Canada also counts towards your physical presence.
    • For instance, if you left Canada on September 14th and returned on October 5th, September 14th and October 5th will count towards your physical presence.
  • Stating the obvious but any day spent outside Canada does NOT count towards physical presence. However, as usual, there are some exceptions (doesn’t apply to the majority of us though).
  • Generally, time spent serving a sentence or probation DOES NOT count towards physical presence with some exceptions.
  • Do NOT apply with exactly 1095 days. That is the minimum requirement but it is recommended to apply with more days. I’ll explain why later in the post.
3. Filing income taxes in Canada

Here it comes – something that no one escapes!
  • You must have filed at least 3 tax returns in the last 5 years from the date you sign your citizenship application. Exceptions apply for very few people.
  • The large majority of us WILL NOT be exempt from this.
4. Language Skills
  • Applicants who are of ages 18 – 54 MUST submit proof to substantiate that they can listen and speak at least one of Canada’s 2 official languages English or French.
  • More about this later in the post.
Dear Mr rajkamalohanram,
Really nice and concise information.
I have one query. Considering I receive my PR for 5 years and I stay for two years in that period . Now as per rule my PR would be extended for another 5 years. Now with this new PR i continue to stay another year and complete total 3 years of stay .
For getting citizenship , do I have to stay one year with the new PR or three years out of the 5 years to apply for citenzenship. .
rgds

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Dear Mr rajkamalohanram,
Really nice and concise information.
I have one query. Considering I receive my PR for 5 years and I stay for two years in that period . Now as per rule my PR would be extended for another 5 years. Now with this new PR i continue to stay another year and complete total 3 years of stay .
For getting citizenship , do I have to stay one year with the new PR or three years out of the 5 years to apply for citenzenship. .
rgds
I think you are confusing yourself.

To maintain your PR status => You will have spend at least 2 years in Canada in any 5 year period. The PR card validity is different from your actual PR status. A person can have a valid PR card and be in breach of the residency obligation.

So, again, to maintain PR status, you will have to be physically present in Canada for 2 years in any 5 year period. This 5 year period begins on the day you become a Permanent Resident.

To be eligible for citizenship, you will have to be physically present in Canada for at least 3 years in the last 5 years from the date of your application AND your PR status should be in good standing.

Example :

Your PR Journey starts on New Years day in 2015.

• You landed as a PR in Canada on Jan 1, 2015.
  • You stayed in Canada till Jan 1, 2017 (2 years of physical presence)
  • You then left Canada on Jan 1st, 2017 and are NOT physically present in Canada until Dec 31, 2019.
  • You came back to Canada on Jan 1, 2020.
  • You spend another year in Canada from Jan 1, 2020 to Jan 1, 2021.
Case 1: You are planning to apply for Citizenship on Jan 2, 2021.

• In this case, your eligibility period for citizenship is from Jan 1, 2016 to Jan 1, 2021.
  • Between Jan 1, 2016 and Jan 1, 2021, you have only been physically present in Canada for 2 years (1 Year from Jan 1, 2016 to Jan 1, 2017 + 1 year from Jan 1, 2020 to Jan 01, 2021).
  • In this case, you are NOT ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP.
  • You need 3 years of physical presence in Canada and you have only 2 years.

Case 2: You are planning to apply for Citizenship on Jan 2, 2022.

• You have been physically present in Canada for 1 more year (from Jan 1, 2021 to Jan 1, 2022) and are now planning to apply for citizenship on Jan 2, 2022.
  • Your eligibility period for citizenship is from Jan 1, 2017 to Jan 1, 2022.
  • You have only been physically present in Canada for 2 years and 1 day here as well (1 Day on Jan 1, 2017 + 2 Years from Jan 1, 2020 to Jan 1, 2022).
  • In this case, you are STILL NOT ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP.
  • You need 3 years of physical presence in Canada but you have only 2 years and one day.

Case 3: You are planning to apply for Citizenship on Jan 2, 2023.

• You have been physically present in Canada for 1 more year (from Jan 1, 2022 to Jan 1, 2023) and are now planning to apply for citizenship on Jan 2, 2023.
  • Your eligibility period for citizenship is from Jan 1, 2018 to Jan 1, 2023.
  • You have now been physically present in Canada for 3 years (3 Years from Jan 1, 2020 to Jan 1, 2023). In this case, you are ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP.
You should use the physical presence calculator to see if you are eligible. Key in the information asked there and it will tell you whether you are eligible or not.

Reactions: Dutta1503

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
So I was actually residing in Canada before I got my PR. However, I went in for a holiday which got extended and I ended up staying for 8 months. Then I returned back to Canada, stayed for another 5-6 months in Canada after which I got my PR. So not really sure if my home country counts as the country of origin immediately before my PR or it should be Canada as I have been staying in here for 2 years before I got my PR for study and work?
Yeah this is not a common case and I am no longer sure if my previous answer is valid. You did not provide me with this information in your previous post.

Question : Did you submit a PCC for the country you were 'staying' in for your PR application?

Either way, I think it is safe to answer 'Yes' to that question AND submit a PCC in this particular scenario. Better safe than sorry.

ashraf09

Oct 4, 2015
Yeah this is not a common case and I am no longer sure if my previous answer is valid. You did not provide me with this information in your previous post.

Question : Did you submit a PCC for the country you were 'staying' in for your PR application?

Either way, I think it is safe to answer 'Yes' to that question AND submit a PCC in this particular scenario. Better safe than sorry.
Sorry, I skipped that part. Yes I did provide the PCC during my PR application for my home country.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Dutta1503

Jun 16, 2021
I think you are confusing yourself.

To maintain your PR status => You will have spend at least 2 years in Canada in any 5 year period. The PR card validity is different from your actual PR status. A person can have a valid PR card and be in breach of the residency obligation.

So, again, to maintain PR status, you will have to be physically present in Canada for 2 years in any 5 year period. This 5 year period begins on the day you become a Permanent Resident.

To be eligible for citizenship, you will have to be physically present in Canada for at least 3 years in the last 5 years from the date of your application AND your PR status should be in good standing.

Example :

Your PR Journey starts on New Years day in 2015.

• You landed as a PR in Canada on Jan 1, 2015.
  • You stayed in Canada till Jan 1, 2017 (2 years of physical presence)
  • You then left Canada on Jan 1st, 2017 and are NOT physically present in Canada until Dec 31, 2019.
  • You came back to Canada on Jan 1, 2020.
  • You spend another year in Canada from Jan 1, 2020 to Jan 1, 2021.
Case 1: You are planning to apply for Citizenship on Jan 2, 2021.

• In this case, your eligibility period for citizenship is from Jan 1, 2016 to Jan 1, 2021.
  • Between Jan 1, 2016 and Jan 1, 2021, you have only been physically present in Canada for 2 years (1 Year from Jan 1, 2016 to Jan 1, 2017 + 1 year from Jan 1, 2020 to Jan 01, 2021).
  • In this case, you are NOT ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP.
  • You need 3 years of physical presence in Canada and you have only 2 years.

Case 2: You are planning to apply for Citizenship on Jan 2, 2022.

• You have been physically present in Canada for 1 more year (from Jan 1, 2021 to Jan 1, 2022) and are now planning to apply for citizenship on Jan 2, 2022.
  • Your eligibility period for citizenship is from Jan 1, 2017 to Jan 1, 2022.
  • You have only been physically present in Canada for 2 years and 1 day here as well (1 Day on Jan 1, 2017 + 2 Years from Jan 1, 2020 to Jan 1, 2022).
  • In this case, you are STILL NOT ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP.
  • You need 3 years of physical presence in Canada but you have only 2 years and one day.

Case 3: You are planning to apply for Citizenship on Jan 2, 2023.

• You have been physically present in Canada for 1 more year (from Jan 1, 2022 to Jan 1, 2023) and are now planning to apply for citizenship on Jan 2, 2023.
  • Your eligibility period for citizenship is from Jan 1, 2018 to Jan 1, 2023.
  • You have now been physically present in Canada for 3 years (3 Years from Jan 1, 2020 to Jan 1, 2023). In this case, you are ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP.
You should use the physical presence calculator to see if you are eligible. Key in the information asked there and it will tell you whether you are eligible or not.
Thanks a lot for the clarification. Now it is quite clear.
Another clarification if you could assist in providing . My PR is through PNP route . What do the guidelines say for us to stay in the respective province for the citizenship / RO . Can we immediately move to another province with or without a job.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks a lot for the clarification. Now it is quite clear.
Another clarification if you could assist in providing . My PR is through PNP route . What do the guidelines say for us to stay in the respective province for the citizenship / RO . Can we immediately move to another province with or without a job.
I have personally not seen any issues with PNP applicants switching provinces. I have heard about a couple of rumors where the provincial nominee program contacted the applicants and asked them why they were not in the province but I was not able to verify this claim. Section 6 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms says it all :

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/how-rights-protected/guide-canadian-charter-rights-freedoms.html#a2d

Rights to move and gain livelihood
  • (2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right:
  1. to move to and take up residence in any province; and
  2. to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
So, IMO, I think it is okay to move between provinces (even for someone who received PR via the PNP route).

Reactions: Dutta1503

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, I wanted to know if you get the citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship) immediately after taking the oath or do you have to apply for it separately after the oath?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi, I wanted to know if you get the citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship) immediately after taking the oath or do you have to apply for it separately after the oath?
The citizenship ceremony is online now. After the ceremony, IRCC will send the citizenship certificate by regular mail. You don't have to apply for it separately.

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Hello @rajkamalmohanram

I am stuck in Q10 a) List of addresses.
I was in country X on June 27th and reached country Y on June 29th (Long flight + layover).
Where should the 28th be? Part of country X address or Country Y?

So confused

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
@rajkamalmohanram

I am getting this error whe I tried to validate for Q18 -
Signature of applicant
The date signed must be one day after the eligibility to date

My physical presence calculator date of application is 19th June 2021 (Your eligibility period is 2016-06-19 to 2021-06-18, you will need this for your application form. ) 1 day less as rest of them mentioned in forum.

My CIT002 citizenship application eligibility TO date is 19th June 2021

My CIT002 citizenship application signature date is 19th June 2021.

Not sure what is the issue.