Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram

I am getting this error whe I tried to validate for Q18 -
Signature of applicant
The date signed must be one day after the eligibility to date

My physical presence calculator date of application is 19th June 2021 (Your eligibility period is 2016-06-19 to 2021-06-18, you will need this for your application form. ) 1 day less as rest of them mentioned in forum.

My CIT002 citizenship application eligibility TO date is 19th June 2021

My CIT002 citizenship application signature date is 19th June 2021.

Not sure what is the issue.
Yes. You should enter date as 20th June, 2021 if the last date of your eligibility period is 19th June. Remember, you should be eligible for citizenship ON THE DAY BEFORE YOU SIGN THE APPLICATION. Based on that logic, that's the reason why you're getting a validation error. Either change the last date of the eligibility period to 18th June and then enter the signature date as 19th June OR wait until tomorrow and enter the signature date as 20th June.

Reactions: Troy2245

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello @rajkamalmohanram

I am stuck in Q10 a) List of addresses.
I was in country X on June 27th and reached country Y on June 29th (Long flight + layover).
Where should the 28th be? Part of country X address or Country Y?

So confused
Note that you don't have to add addresses of hotels / places you lived in when you were simply traveling as a tourist or for short trips. This is from the instruction guide :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4

Question 10.
  1. Address History
    Write all your addresses inside and outside of Canada during your 5-year eligibility period, including the postal codes, starting with your current home address. If you were residing, working or studying outside Canada, you must list all of your foreign addresses, including the country postal or mailing codes. Press the plus (+) button if you need more space. You don’t need to include addresses of family, friends, hotels or resorts where you stayed while on vacation.
    Provide information that covers the 5-year eligibility period. Do not leave any gaps during this period and do not leave this section blank. If you do, your application will be returned to you as incomplete.
    Note:
    Your current address history row 1 will auto-populate from your contact information. If you change your address in row 1, it will change your contact information. Additionality, if you lived at your current address for more than 5 years, then you only need to update the date in row 1 that was auto-populated from your connection information.
If you were on a vacation, simply enter the primary residential address. For example, if your residence in Toronto and you went on a trip to France and Germany, you will enter your residential address for the duration of this trip.

Note that you should NOT have any gaps whatsoever in this section.

Reactions: Troy2245

maverick_07

Jul 2, 2018
PART - 3

Q14 (a): Have you held travel documents and/or passports during your five (5) year eligibility period?
  • Again, most of us would have to answer 'Yes' to this question.
  • If you answered 'Yes', fill out the details of your travel document in Table A.
  • NOTE 1: You will be asked to show the original of this document (This usually happens before / after your citizenship test AND possibly when checking documents before oath ceremony).
  • NOTE 2: If you have gaps between your travel document in the past 5 years OR if you did NOT have a passport during this time, explain in Table B.
  • If Table B doesn't apply to you, I would suggest writing "N/A".
hi @rajkamalmohanram , for Question 14 (a) do we also have to mention about the immigration status in Canada (Study, Work PR etc.) ? or is it only other countries immigration documents? Thanks for your assistance!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
hi @rajkamalmohanram , for Question 14 (a) do we also have to mention about the immigration status in Canada (Study, Work PR etc.) ? or is it only other countries immigration documents? Thanks for your assistance!
No. Generally, you'll only enter the information about any passports that were valid during the eligibility period.

Also, there is no Q 14(a) in the new application form. There is only Q14. Please make sure you use the latest version of the application form.

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Q12 (b): I have entered all information on my application. However, the "Tax Year" boxes remain blank and aren't populated. Is this a bug? What am I supposed to do?

Q14: I have two passports (one valid, on expired) from the same country. Neither has a "Place of Issue". Instead, they list an issuing authority (i.e. municipality where I resided, and Ministry of Foreign Affairs for my current passport). What should I enter for this field?

Q14: For my previous passport, is the Expiry Date the date when I obtained my new passport (and they "expired" my old passport). Or is it the original Expiry Date when the passport was issued (and listed on the biographical page)?

Reactions: GuyanaGirl

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Q12 (b): I have entered all information on my application. However, the "Tax Year" boxes remain blank and aren't populated. Is this a bug? What am I supposed to do?

You should fill the other parts of the form (especially the part that talks about your eligibility period and only then will the 'tax year' rows will be populated.

Q14: I have two passports (one valid, on expired) from the same country. Neither has a "Place of Issue". Instead, they list an issuing authority (i.e. municipality where I resided, and Ministry of Foreign Affairs for my current passport). What should I enter for this field?

What do you see on your immigration document (COPR)? Enter the same thing. AFAIK, it would be okay to enter the issuing authority but check your COPR just to be safe.

Q14: For my previous passport, is the Expiry Date the date when I obtained my new passport (and they "expired" my old passport). Or is it the original Expiry Date when the passport was issued (and listed on the biographical page)?

Enter the dates exactly as shown on the passport (not the date your passport was 'cancelled'). You can add a Letter of Explanation and explain the scenario if you see the need.

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks, Q12 (b) is populated by Q9 (a) which I left blank for now as I'm not yet ready to submit the application. The Tax Year are correctly populated now.

My COPR doesn't list a "Place of Issue" for my passport. It only lists a "Country of issue" which is The Netherlands. My current passport was issued to me in Vancouver (at the Consulate) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. My previous passport was issued to me in "City" by "Municipality" (where "City" and "Municipality" are completely different names).

maverick_07

Jul 2, 2018
@rajkamalmohanram which address do we need to send the application to?

CIC website lists the below address and the application lists a slightly different address -

Address for regular mail
Case Processing Centre—Sydney
Citizenship Grants
P.O. Box 7000
Sydney, Nova Scotia B1P 6V6
Canada

Would be it an issue if we send it to the above address?

GuyanaGirl

Jul 4, 2016
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
July, 20th 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Hello !
looking for some opinions on the submission of proof of English .
We will be submitting secondary school certificate photocopy which is all in English because we are from an English speaking ( English main language) country, but I am also wondering if I should include an printout of transcripts from a certificate course currently being pursued at a Canadian college . Do you think there is any value added to include this print out ?

GuyanaGirl

Jul 4, 2016
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
July, 20th 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
@rajkamalmohanram which address do we need to send the application to?

CIC website lists the below address and the application lists a slightly different address -

Address for regular mail
Citizenship Grants
P.O. Box 7000
Canada

Would be it an issue if we send it to the above address?
I believe that address is for regular mail ( Canada post ) . The other address which is 49 Dorchester street is for courier ( UPS, FedEx, etc) . The reason there are two addresses is because courier mail services cannot deliver to a PO Box .

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

GuyanaGirl

Jul 4, 2016
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
July, 20th 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Hi Raj
Very helpful protocol. I very much appreciate of your kind typing.
I have several questions about the application form Section 9b:
We have to list the temporary status resident in Canada during the eligible period: for example, 2015-05-22 to 2020-05-22
Become PR in 2018-04-15
hold work permits from 2014-08-26 to 2018-04-15.
Several work permits have been issued and renewed, also as you mentioned, there were several implied status during this period since the IRCC processing time.

In case of this, do we need to list all the work permits in Table?
Second, if we need to list, we have to put the issued/expiration date from the WP. Then there are 'GAPs' (implied status) during the processing. Do we need to list also and put 'implied status'?
For the lastest WP, the expiration date should be the 'PR landing date' or still put the date from WP. As my understanding, when we became PR, the WP will automatically expired.

Or in this section, we just need to put as '2014-08-26 to 2018-04-15' and 'Worker'

Thanks very much if you could clear my confusion.

ZZW
Did this section (9b ) ask for legal status for each period at one point ?

maverick_07

Jul 2, 2018
Did this section (9b ) ask for legal status for each period at one point ?
I believe that address is for regular mail ( Canada post ) . The other address which is 49 Dorchester street is for courier ( UPS, FedEx, etc) . The reason there are two addresses is because courier mail services cannot deliver to a PO Box .
@GuyanaGirl The address for Regular Mail in the application PDF is different than the one in the website

The highlighted part is where the difference is -

in the PDF -

Case Processing Centre-Sydney
GRANTS Adults
P.O. Box 7000
SYDNEY, NS
B1P 6V6

in the CIC website -

Citizenship Grants
P.O. Box 7000
Canada

GuyanaGirl

Jul 4, 2016
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
July, 20th 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
@GuyanaGirl The address for Regular Mail in the application PDF is different than the one in the website

The highlighted part is where the difference is -

in the PDF -

Case Processing Centre-Sydney
GRANTS Adults
P.O. Box 7000
SYDNEY, NS
B1P 6V6

in the CIC website -

Citizenship Grants
P.O. Box 7000
Canada
I would personally be inclined to use the address on the form . Both are addressed to Grants in the end, but the inclusion of “ Adults” seems to be more specific to my application situation ( single adult application)… but imo there shouldn’t be any difference with either or .

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I would personally be inclined to use the address on the form . Both are addressed to Grants in the end, but the inclusion of “ Adults” seems to be more specific to my application situation ( single adult application)… but imo there shouldn’t be any difference with either or .
Agreed! There shouldn't be any difference but go with the address on the form.

Reactions: GuyanaGirl