+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

civil656

Oct 7, 2013
chakri264 said:
Hi vivi,

You claimed 40 hours in your initial letter thats fine. In the supplementary letter explain how that 40 hours work is constituted. Mention that 25 hours were spent for a project other than your PhD project and 15 hours were spent towards your own (PhD) research project. That should work. Make sure to mention that this is a supplementary letter to your initial letter and do no forget to date it. If you want to change the main occupation you have to update the schedule-3 form. Hope this information helps.

Hi,
I also claimed 40 hours in my letter and I did not break it down to RA activities and my PhD project. Does it cause rejection of the case?Does it really important to break down the hours?

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
civil656 said:
Hi,
I also claimed 40 hours in my letter and I did not break it down to RA activities and my PhD project. Does it cause rejection of the case?Does it really important to break down the hours?
It is not necessary. A full time enrolled PhD student cannot work 40 hours full-time as an RA. In order to be a full-time PhD student you should spend 15 hours a week towards your studies. If the visa officers picks up that point they may reject. But there are people who claimed 40 hours and their application went through. I would suggest to provide a supplementary letter for only 25 hours. During my application a university lawyer who helped me with my application advised me not to put 40 hours.

sa-ha

May 24, 2013
chakri264 said:
It is not necessary. A full time enrolled PhD student cannot work 40 hours full-time as an RA. In order to be a full-time PhD student you should spend 15 hours a week towards your studies. If the visa officers picks up that point they may reject. But there are people who claimed 40 hours and their application went through. I would suggest to provide a supplementary letter for only 25 hours. During my application a university lawyer who helped me with my application advised me not to put 40 hours.
Hi chakri264.
I also claimed 40 hours in my RA letter. But I have received medical request recently. Do you know if there is any possibility to reject after medical because of this reason or not?

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
sa-ha said:
Hi chakri264.
I also claimed 40 hours in my RA letter. But I have received medical request recently. Do you know if there is any possibility to reject after medical because of this reason or not?
Dont worry Sa-ha. You won't get rejected. You have already passed eligibility.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
chakri264 said:
Hi Chakri,

As I asked you before, I wanna know why we cannot claim for 30hrs for RA when it only adds 1 hour work per day (in compare with 25hrs) and we can get more points. Actually, I believe that it is possible to study 15 hrs and work 30 hrs as RA. This is completely true in my case. Why should I ask my supervisor to mention less working hours than the actual one?
I know many applicants here who have claimed more than 30 hrs and they haven't had any problem. By looking at Forum, we can find only 1 case (johny) who was rejected by Sydney and in my opinion the main reason for his rejection was for missing the lead statement.

civil656

Oct 7, 2013
chakri264 said:
Hi Chakri,
Thanks for your response. Can we appeal after rejection? I prefer to wait to see their decision and if I am rejected, I will send the supplementary letter you mentioned. Is it possible?

tandysony

Apr 17, 2014
Thank you, you are so active and helped us out. I really appreciate your contribution to all of us here.

Parkinson said:
Congratulations! :)
You don't need to send the hard copy. The email is enough.

amir_hb

Oct 27, 2013
civil656 said:
Hi Chakri,
Thanks for your response. Can we appeal after rejection? I prefer to wait to see their decision and if I am rejected, I will send the supplementary letter you mentioned. Is it possible?
There is no formal way to ask them to reconsider once they refuse an application and they often don't open a closed file unless an obvious mistake has caused the negative result. Then, the only way to overturn an officer's decision will be a federal court sentence.

salam20

Jun 29, 2012
LANDED..........
Got the Passport request and sent the passports. Someone mentioned it takes 9 days. I need to get them sooner. I have a booked flight. I sent an explanation letter with a copy of the ticket. I hope to get it back soon.

pageegap

Dec 31, 2013
HI guys!

I submittedd my application on february of this year (during the last year of my PhD) I got an email from the Centralized Intake Office with a number file on March 17. I have not heard back from CIC since then. I ordered GCMS notes twice and apparently I got 70 points and everything "looks good" but still can not check the status of my application online.

I successfully defended my Phd thesis last week and I got a postdoc offer in.... Paris for one year. I have been applying for jobs in Canada since I submitted my pr application but haven't been succesful in getting an offer. So I was wondering if going to France for one year could harm my application. Do any of you guys know if I have to notify CIC of me leaving the country? will I have to re-apply from France?

I have the intention to settle down in Canada and to get a job here so if I get a job offer while being in France I would take it. Please, any comment would be appreciated.

thanks!

George15

Jul 15, 2014
Hi Everyone,

Thank you Parkinson for your reply on my previous question.

1) Do you think that having a postdoc offer will help me convince the CIC that I intend to reside outside of Quebec?

Also, I am filling the Background document and I reached the personal history section and membership in organizations and addresses where I need to fill my activity in the past 10 years. I am a bit confused.

Section 8 and 12 (personal history and addresses):

2a) Lets say for examples I started my studies in 01/09/2011 and I traveled to my home country 3 times during this period. How do I fill the duration? do I fill my studies as a one continuous duration from 01/09/2011 till now or do I fill it as separate phases and include between the vacation periods in my home country?

Does do the same for both personal history and addresses? because I think the dates should be the same for both?

3b) How can I fill the space saying that it is "to date", for example I am student from 2011 to present date, how do I fill the space? or do I write the date that I signed the papers?

Section 9 (membership):

4) I have been part of the student council and part of the organizing committee of research day at my department at my university, do I have to include it here?

Thanks All!

vivi

Jan 1, 2014
chakri264 said:
Hi vivi,

You claimed 40 hours in your initial letter thats fine. In the supplementary letter explain how that 40 hours work is constituted. Mention that 25 hours were spent for a project other than your PhD project and 15 hours were spent towards your own (PhD) research project. That should work. Make sure to mention that this is a supplementary letter to your initial letter and do no forget to date it. If you want to change the main occupation you have to update the schedule-3 form. Hope this information helps.
Thank you so much for your complete answer! :)