AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
littlenorth said:
PER: Feb 26, 2013

on the IMM5612E (document checklist), item 12 says:

Letters must be:
• written on company letterhead,
• signed by the responsible officer/supervisor,
• show the company's full address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail and website addresses,
• stamped with the company's official seal (if applicable).

That's why I thought the letter should be sealed.

Is it possible to argue with cic and provide another letter of reference to get a reassessment?

Thanks,
The seal is the stamp.
Unfortunately, No! I know it is not easy to be rejected after 15 months, I was rejected before. If you have already graduated and got a canadian experience, it would be better to apply through CEC, or you may consider the PNP stream.

NB61

Oct 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC_Ottawa
NOC Code......
4012 RA only
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
AOR Received.
(PER) 31-12-2014
Med's Request
31-01-2015
Med's Done....
04-02-2015
Passport Req..
23/03/2015
LANDED..........
14/04/2015
N_O said:
Hello NB61,

Do you mind sharing your timeline with us?
Hello N_O

My application reached Sydney on March 9 2013. PER issued on April 4, 2013. Documents were requested on April 15, 2014 (PhD info, supervisor info, List of publications and CV).
Work experience: RA only, 1 person is included in the application.
eCAS status: in process
Nationality: Iran

climate_modeller

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
21-May-2014
AOR Received.
17-Jun-2013
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
17-Jun-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
not necessary
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2014 (CoPR)
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
My office mate just got rejected on 6 May 2014 because the RA/TA experience letter was not proper. He was a February applicant. They seem to be moving through February and March now.

BTW, I just sent my third! updated reference letter for RA/TA experience. GCMS notes stated that the previous one was not on university stationary.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Re: Important Question

SMike said:
I claimed both RA and TA as a full time job under a single term, Graduate Assistant.

I don't think they accept RA and TA as full-time work for a full-time PhD student! In fact, BY LAW we are not allowed to work full-time while studying full-time. That's why we can get an off-campus work permit to work ONLY part-time. This also includes the on-campus permit that we naturally have as a student. However, there is a grey area where no rule prevents students from working both as RA/TA and off-campus, which together may build up a full-time work (37.5 hours per week). But that's useless and irrelevant for an applicant, because CIC looks for individual full-time work not multiple of them (to build up the 37.5 hours per week).

As far as I know, RA/TA is not accepted as a full-time work. Rare cases can always happen, but technically, it should not be accepted.

amir_hb

Oct 27, 2013
Hello all!

If one applies under the PhD stream and claims two years of continuous RA work (T4A), 20 hours per week (so that the total is equal to 1 year full-time), will she/he be awarded 9 points for work experience?

Thanks for answering!

neuron

Star Member
Oct 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2013
Nomination.....
15-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
05-05-2014
Med's Done....
09-05-2014
Passport Req..
23-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
20-06-2014
Got my med done today,hope the following things will go well.

Guys, I think the most tricky problem for PhDs stream applicants is that if you do not have any regular work experience but TA or RA, please prepare your letter carefully by following NOC 4012.

We must embody "you are ASSISTING your professor" to do what ever you did in your PhD study. The key word "assisting" must show in the beginning, then you can list multiple tastes you did according to NOC description. Otherwise, even if your work is amazing, it won't satisfy officer.

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
Can you please check my reference letter from my adviser to see if it is good?

Thanks,

March 31, 2014

This letter is to confirm that Mr. XXX is a full-time graduate student enrolled in Ph.D. program in the Department of XXX at the University of XXX. He has started his program winter 2011 under my supervision and has been employed as a research assistant and as a teaching assistant during semesters.

Mr. XXX commenced his employment with The University of XXX as a graduate research and teaching assistant on January 10, 2011. Since then, his total working hours and annual incomes are as follows.

From January 2011 to January 2013, his total working hours was 40 hours per week and his total annual earning was $24,000 per year.

From January 2013 to March 2014, his total working hours has been 20 hours per week and his total annual earning is $16,000 per year.

In addition, He received XXX graduate Fellowship in 2012 with the value of $XXX due to his outstanding academic record.

As a Teaching Assistant, Mr. XXX organizes the materials as required by university professors for laboratory sessions. He also conducts laboratory sessions to supplement lectures. In addition, he answers student’s questions about the materials of the course during office hours. Assistance in the preparation and administration of examinations, grading quizzes and laboratory reports, and record keeping are also part of his duties.

As a research assistant, Mr. XXX conducts literature reviews, surveys, computer simulations and analytical analysis. In addition, he compiles research results and assists in the preparations of journal articles as well as conference papers.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information,

Sincerely,

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
arian_arian said:

Thanks,

March 31, 2014

This letter is to confirm that Mr. XXX is a full-time graduate student enrolled in Ph.D. program in the Department of XXX at the University of XXX. He has started his program winter 2011 under my supervision and has been employed as a research assistant and as a teaching assistant during semesters.

Mr. XXX commenced his employment with The University of XXX as a graduate research and teaching assistant on January 10, 2011. Since then, his total working hours and annual incomes are as follows.

From January 2011 to January 2013, his total working hours was 40 hours per week and his total annual earning was $24,000 per year.

From January 2013 to March 2014, his total working hours has been 20 hours per week and his total annual earning is $16,000 per year.

In addition, He received XXX graduate Fellowship in 2012 with the value of $XXX due to his outstanding academic record.

As a Teaching Assistant, Mr. XXX organizes the materials as required by university professors for laboratory sessions. He also conducts laboratory sessions to supplement lectures. In addition, he answers student's questions about the materials of the course during office hours. Assistance in the preparation and administration of examinations, grading quizzes and laboratory reports, and record keeping are also part of his duties.

As a research assistant, Mr. XXX conducts literature reviews, surveys, computer simulations and analytical analysis. In addition, he compiles research results and assists in the preparations of journal articles as well as conference papers.

Sincerely,
It needs to be significantly improved, especially in the RAship part:
You miss the "assisting word" in your letter to assist a professor. Your TA duties are not bad, but better to be improved and explained well.
Your RA duties are superficial. Explain much more having the NOC duties in mind.
By the way, better to have two separate letters for RA and TA.

neuron

Star Member
Oct 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2013
Nomination.....
15-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
05-05-2014
Med's Done....
09-05-2014
Passport Req..
23-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
20-06-2014
I think you missed the key word " assisting". if I were you, I will suggest my boss to write like the following way. When I applied, initially my boss wrote this letter in his own way without specifying key word "assisting" .Then I talked to him about the importance of this expression. It is understandable that we give them certain guidance for this important letter. You can just tell them the CIC officer has very tough requirement for this letter, and wish they can express your work experience in a way that the NOC code specifies. I think the boss can understand. We should realize that this is not an academic letter for your faculty application, it is for PR application. The immigration officer does not care about your amazing achievement in your field, they only care about your action to see if this action is a "teaching assistant".

I would write like:

Dear visa officer:

This letter is to confirm that Mr.xxx is a full-time PhD student in my Lab at the university xxxxxx.

Mr.xxx joined my lab in (the year you started). Since then, he has been working as a full-time phd student (xxxxhours/week).Mr.xx received xxxxx money/year.

As a teaching assistant, Mr.xxx worked xxx hours/week. He is responsible for assisting me to teaching xxx courses. Particularly, (list your main duties in brief)

As a research assistant, Mr.xxx worked xxx hours/week. He is responsible for assisting me for multiple research activities in my lab.
his main duties are: list your duties

arian_arian said:

Thanks,

March 31, 2014

As a Teaching Assistant, Mr. XXX organizes the materials as required by university professors for laboratory sessions. He also conducts laboratory sessions to supplement lectures. In addition, he answers student's questions about the materials of the course during office hours. Assistance in the preparation and administration of examinations, grading quizzes and laboratory reports, and record keeping are also part of his duties.

Sincerely,

The_Prince

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
Doc's Request.
POF: 21-03-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 18-02-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP (sent with application)
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
21-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Hi arian_arian, plz see this link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rRI4xdVpgbh8Ko1p5S9KvwXf7B7UuTCKLBpKL2xasps/edit?pli=1

This is a sample for letters for applicants here who already got their PR or at least got medical. You should already find that link at the bottom of some applicants posts here (see any post for N_O). I also believe it is better to have separate letters for RA and TA.

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback regarding my reference letter.
My adviser is OK to write anything that I ask. So I tried to revise my letter as follows.
Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot.

May 12, 2014

To Whom It May Concern:

This is in continuation of my earlier letter regarding the work experience of Mr. XXX who is currently a full-time graduate student enrolled in the Ph.D. program in the Department of XXX at the University of XXX. This letter expands on his job duties and responsibilities in this department. He has started his program winter 2011 under my supervision and has been employed as a graduate research assistant and as a graduate teaching assistant during semesters.

As a teaching assistant, Mr. XXX is responsible for assisting me and other university professors for teaching following courses.

Course “XXX”, Dr. XXX, Fall 2011 and Fall 2012.
Course “XXX”, Dr. XXX, Winter 2012 and Winter 2013.
Course “XXX”, Mr. XXX, Summer 2012.

As a Teaching Assistant, Mr. XXX organizes the materials as required by university professors for laboratory sessions. He also conducts laboratory sessions to supplement lectures. In addition, he answers student’s questions about the materials of the course during office hours. Assistance in the preparation and administration of examinations, grading quizzes and laboratory reports, and record keeping are also part of his duties.

His total working hours per semester term as a graduate teaching assistant are as follows:

Fall 2011 110 hours
Winter 2012 120 hours
Summer 2012 60 hours
Fall 2012 100 hours
Winter 2013 90 hours

As a research assistant, Mr. XXX is responsible for assisting me for multiple research activities in my research group.

His main duties and responsibilities are:

• conducting research in the XXX Laboratory.
• conducting technical literature reviews, data analysis, surveys, mathematical modeling, computer simulation and analytical analysis.
• compiling research results and assisting in the preparation of journal articles as well as conference papers.
• participating in research group meetings and seminars.
• preparing and delivering research presentations.
• assisting other students in their researches and projects.

Mr. XXX has been continuously working as a graduate research assistant since January 10, 2011. His total working hours as a graduate research assistant from January 2011 to January 2013 was 35 hours per week and from January 2013 to May 2014 has been 20 hours per week.

Mr. XXX’s salaries for his work as a graduate research assistant and as a graduate teaching assistant are as follows.

From January 2011 to January 2013 $24,000 per year.
From January 2013 to May 2014 $16,000 per year.

In addition, He received XXX Fellowship in 2012 with the value of $XXX due to his outstanding academic record.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information.

Sincerely,

neuron

Star Member
Oct 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2013
Nomination.....
15-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
05-05-2014
Med's Done....
09-05-2014
Passport Req..
23-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
20-06-2014
I personally think it is great now.
arian_arian said:
My adviser is OK to write anything that I ask. So I tried to revise my letter as follows.

Thanks a lot.

May 12, 2014

To Whom It May Concern:

This is in continuation of my earlier letter regarding the work experience of Mr. XXX who is currently a full-time graduate student enrolled in the Ph.D. program in the Department of XXX at the University of XXX. This letter expands on his job duties and responsibilities in this department. He has started his program winter 2011 under my supervision and has been employed as a graduate research assistant and as a graduate teaching assistant during semesters.

As a teaching assistant, Mr. XXX is responsible for assisting me and other university professors for teaching following courses.

Course “XXX”, Dr. XXX, Fall 2011 and Fall 2012.
Course “XXX”, Dr. XXX, Winter 2012 and Winter 2013.
Course “XXX”, Mr. XXX, Summer 2012.

His total working hours per semester term as a graduate teaching assistant are as follows:

Fall 2011 110 hours
Winter 2012 120 hours
Summer 2012 60 hours
Fall 2012 100 hours
Winter 2013 90 hours

As a research assistant, Mr. XXX is responsible for assisting me for multiple research activities in my research group.

His main duties and responsibilities are:

• conducting research in the XXX Laboratory.
• conducting technical literature reviews, data analysis, surveys, mathematical modeling, computer simulation and analytical analysis.
• compiling research results and assisting in the preparation of journal articles as well as conference papers.
• participating in research group meetings and seminars.
• preparing and delivering research presentations.
• assisting other students in their researches and projects.

Mr. XXX has been continuously working as a graduate research assistant since January 10, 2011. His total working hours as a graduate research assistant from January 2011 to January 2013 was 35 hours per week and from January 2013 to May 2014 has been 20 hours per week.

Mr. XXX's salaries for his work as a graduate research assistant and as a graduate teaching assistant are as follows.

From January 2011 to January 2013 $24,000 per year.
From January 2013 to May 2014 $16,000 per year.

In addition, He received XXX Fellowship in 2012 with the value of $XXX due to his outstanding academic record.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information.

Sincerely,

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
arian_arian said:

Thanks a lot.
It is good now. But, to be safe you can also add "assist in data analysis...(details)" to your RA duties. I remember a case who had the lead statement but was rejected because did not have this!

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
I just got rejected with this letter. :'(
Could you please let me know what options do I have?

Thanks a lot.

Dear XXX:

I have now completed the assessment of your application for a permanent resident visa as a skilled worker. I have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

Subsection 75(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that a foreign national is a skilled worker if:

a) within ten years preceding the date of their application for a permanent resident visa, they have at least one year of continuous full-time employment (37.5 hours/week) experience, or the equivalent in continuous part-time employment in one or more occupations, other than a restricted occupation, that are listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Levels A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;

b) during that period of employment they performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification; and

c) during that period of employment they performed a substantial number of the main duties of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, including all of the essential duties.

I am not satisfied that you meet these requirements. Your period of work experience as a Post Secondary Teaching and Research Assistant (NOC 4012) at the University of XXX does not meet the requirements of b) above as the letter of reference you submitted listed duties that did not match the actions of the lead statement under the NOC code you selected. Therefore, you failed to demonstrate that your periods of work experience met the requirements listed above.

Subsection 75(3) states that if a foreign national fails to meet these requirements, the application shall be refused and no further assessment is required. I am not satisfied that you meet these requirements.

Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or for any other document required by the regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. Subsection 2(2) specifies that unless otherwise indicated, references in the Act to “this Act” include regulations made under it.

Following an examination of your application, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act and the regulations for the reasons explained above. I am therefore refusing your application.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada.

Sincerely,

Case Officer