Feb 13, 2013
Doc's Request.
October 2013
AOR Received.
Mar-5-2013
LANDED..........
Landed...
Stuck In Quebec said:
Just read all the posts from Quebec members carefully ranging from page 1 of this thread. Recently we have had a good run for Quebec residents but there were tons of rejections too. They clearly showed the intent of leaving Quebec. So go through all the posts and see which fits your situation and fix the docs proactively and update.

Be optimistic but not too much. I will start CSQ application too alongside if you happen to speak french and have TEFaQ scores, apply with IELTS. With spouse and kids you will have enough points. Without TEFaQ scores, it would be tough though. They increased the fees and the level from B1 to B2 for PEQ stream, so thats a bummer and a restraining factor.

Just two cents worth of advice, as if you get rejected in PhD stream, you stand to waste time and money plus reapplication. Keep work ex and intent to move out supporting docs ready and updated with them.

Bon Chance!!!!
Je vous remerci! I have proof that I will leave. Do I have to send it before they ask? I am already writing my thesis, and looking in the direction of another province anytime from June this year. Though I can pass the French test, I do not want to write it. My husband is opposed to staying here.
I have one question though, in my application I put Ontario as the province I will be moving to, does it matter of I change that to another province? Do I have to notify them of this change?
Thanks a lot!

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
N_O said:
Sarsanballa applied on June 2013 and he has already landed!
I think sarsanballa's was a special case rather than the rule :) Not that many people who applied under the eighth set of ministerial instructions have gotten their PR's. I think it's mostly due to the fact that it's a re-application, and also that his letters of reference were pretty much idiot proof.

cindyxinxin

Sep 3, 2013
Dear All,

Does any one know whether the 1000 cap has been reached since May 2013? I could not find specific numbers online.

Also I heard that since 2015, the Expression of Interest (EOI) system will start. Anyone has an idea how that will affect the on-going applications? Will they try to get all our cases done before 2015 or they will slow down processing and put the unfinished cases into the EOI program?

I am trying to decide between this stream or family sponsorship. I wanted to apply within this stream at first until I saw the processing time being 25 months!!

Thanks for any info!

xhiddenx

Mar 1, 2012
The_Prince said:
Although my application has been received more than 2 weeks before yours, I still did not receive any requests or letters since the PER
Yes I remember about your application dates, But I have been requested because I did not provide any 6 months bank statement at the beginning and the most important part is I am Iranian that's why they want my CV. So it is good they have not requested any additional documents for your case. Hopefully, the request for you would be Medical not any documents.

zhengyilove

Oct 17, 2012
I just sent my passport to Ottawa for visa letter, and going to conference in US Feb 21. Is that possible that the passport will be back in time?

Thanks

snow_walker said:
Hi,

I thought to start a thread for international student applicants who are enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or graduated from a Canadian PhD program) and filed Immigration Application after 5 Nov, 2011, so it can be a help for people to talk about immigration updates during the process.

Let us share the story, explain what you upto during your wait. Also post your current timeline so we can have an idea of each other progress and lets help each others. I can create an excel database of the applicant's various data once we receive some applicants.

Stay Happy and hopeful!

Snow_Walker

PS: I will be applying myself probably within next 1 month and will share my timeline right after filing the application. If you are going to file your application may be in next 1/2/3 months, share that here. Let's make a journey together.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
zhengyilove said:
I just sent my passport to Ottawa for visa letter, and going to conference in US Feb 21. Is that possible that the passport will be back in time?

Thanks
You may get it in time, but I would be worried, giving how CIC works, I'd be worried!

amir_hb

Oct 27, 2013
Hi everyone, I have three questions!!

I'm planning to apply under this stream in the fall. My work experience is going to be RA/TA only, RA as the full time job.

1. Since the TA work is part-time, does it matter whether it is continuous (for a year)? If it helps, I can apply to TA in the summer too.
2. Is having not completed all the coursework in the first two years a bad thing? As far as I see in the eligibility criteria, completing two years while maintaining good academic standing is sufficient.
3. Finally: do I have to show proof of funds at the minimum of ~$11,115 when I file the application (I don't have dependents/spouse)? and if yes, will I have to maintain this balance afterwards?

Thanks in advance!

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
TyrusX said:

Thanks

You may get it in time, but I would be worried, giving how CIC works, I'd be worried!
You will get it in time 10 days tops. I received mine in a week and all the people I know also got it in record time. They mention on their webpage and in the letter that if you need it back faster, send them a proof of your travels viz ticket and conference acceptance etc. They will send it to you asap. I have tried this at Ottawa and New York offices, but definitely they require proof. Nonetheless, it takes only few min them to print and send back, its just that the package lies unopened for a long time. Besides they send it back in batches, I think, of 100s as they have a pick b Canada Post. Atleast my embassy does it that way, so if u r number 98 voila, its faster. But if you are number 12, gotta wait for the quota to fill. But CPP-O is a high bulk office.

Punchline, send passport asap, send them docs via email and fax like conference acceptance email and tickets after three days just to be sure it comes back on time. Alternatively what I did once was write a cover letter and supply the copies of docs with the passport itself. The advantage of sending via fax and or email is that they will look for your package actively and open it. Boldly mention application number on your envelop. With in envelop letter, they will only get to know once they open it.

Just 2 cent worth of advice. Best of luck.

P.S. don't land before your conference, land while coming back as if you are from a non visa exempt country, you cannot leave canada until your PR card arrives else you have to apply for an entry visa even if You are a PR. Only place you can travel outside of Canada without PR card is continental US that too in a personal vehicle. They will not let you enter even if you are on a bus or train, forget plane. I am sure it must have been discussed here before, just refreshing. Take care.

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
canadian-13 said:
Je vous remerci! I have proof that I will leave. Do I have to send it before they ask? I am already writing my thesis, and looking in the direction of another province anytime from June this year. Though I can pass the French test, I do not want to write it. My husband is opposed to staying here.
I have one question though, in my application I put Ontario as the province I will be moving to, does it matter of I change that to another province? Do I have to notify them of this change?
Thanks a lot!
Vous êtes les bienvenus ma chérie. I totally connect to your husband's feelings of leaving Quebec though Montreal will always have a special place in my heart.

Send application to Nova Scotia. When they accept and transfer to Ottawa then supply them with docs before asking. They will ask you the intent depending on your case and graduation timelines but may not if they have all the docs with them already. It wil save time. Also putting Ontario and then changing is not an issue as it is still out of Quebec. Circumstances change. Dont have to notify but notify them of change of address and check if it has been updated in eCAS or not.

I attached every possible thing I had. Letter of appointment as post doc, mentorship letter from new supervisor, initial thesis submission confirmation, joining letter from the new institute, pay stub from new job, letter of successful defence from department, rental agreement in Ontario and changed the address in eCAS too, who knows what worked. Hope it helps.

In your case, look for a post doc or a job and as soon as they say yes, ask for an appointment letter. Ask your supervisor to write a letter when thesis is submitted stating that the thesis is gone and tentative defence date is xxxxx and will be graduating in xxxx month.

Bon chance!!!

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
zhengyilove said:

Thanks
I applied a few months ago for visitor visa with PGWP. Their website was saying the average processing time is 10 days at that time. It took them 32 days to ask for my passport and then 22 days since I sent them my passport until I got it back: in total 54 days!

It might depend on the nationality, but this difference is outrageous.

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
Anna2013 said:
I applied a few months ago for visitor visa with PGWP. Their website was saying the average processing time is 10 days at that time. It took them 32 days to ask for my passport and then 22 days since I send them my passport until I got it back: in total 54 days!

It might depend on the nationality, but this difference is outrageous.
I got my study permit sooner than the processing time posted.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
aidina said:
I got my study permit sooner than the processing time posted.
Study permit stuff are done in Vancouver I think. When things go to Ottawa, times are not reliable.

I am going to soon apply for a visa. Now I'm worried about it. Site says 5 days!

canadian-13

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 13, 2013
Doc's Request.
October 2013
AOR Received.
Mar-5-2013
LANDED..........
Landed...
Stuck In Quebec said:
Vous êtes les bienvenus ma chérie. I totally connect to your husband's feelings of leaving Quebec though Montreal will always have a special place in my heart.

Send application to Nova Scotia. When they accept and transfer to Ottawa then supply them with docs before asking. They will ask you the intent depending on your case and graduation timelines but may not if they have all the docs with them already. It wil save time. Also putting Ontario and then changing is not an issue as it is still out of Quebec. Circumstances change. Dont have to notify but notify them of change of address and check if it has been updated in eCAS or not.

I attached every possible thing I had. Letter of appointment as post doc, mentorship letter from new supervisor, initial thesis submission confirmation, joining letter from the new institute, pay stub from new job, letter of successful defence from department, rental agreement in Ontario and changed the address in eCAS too, who knows what worked. Hope it helps.

In your case, look for a post doc or a job and as soon as they say yes, ask for an appointment letter. Ask your supervisor to write a letter when thesis is submitted stating that the thesis is gone and tentative defence date is xxxxx and will be graduating in xxxx month.

Bon chance!!!
Thanks a lot. This really helps. I will send them a notice of the initial submission and a letter from my supervisor stating that I am finishing soon. Sorry to be asking too many questions: Does it matter if it is not a post doc position, cos I am hoping to get a job in my primary discipline that I included for work experience... Merci encore!

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
ASG said:
wow...Did you shoot them an email?

Should be useless as the posted processing time is 25 month. Of course, this processing time seems well above the average real processing time, at least based on the information we have from the people in this forum.