+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
It has already been 18 months for me and no news. It is clear now that I will be one of those reaching that 25 months, but it will hurt so bad if things go wrong after then. Too bad that they have changed the processing time and we cannot contact them before 25 months; however, I feel like that this change is only for a bunch of us because the majority of the applicants are hearing after a reasonable wait.

cindyxinxin

Sep 3, 2013
Hey Guys, just wondering that did anyone use their check to pay the application fee?
I included my check with the application package but today when I was reading the payment form, it says "certified check".
Does that mean that my personal check can not used? If so, what should I do?

Thanks in advance for any input!

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Alhamdulliah! My credit card has been charged!
Now waiting for the PER.

Pls update file:
AALM
CC encashed: Dec 3

zedd4x

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
Hi Guys,

My application was recently rejected stating "I am not satisfied that you meet these requirements. Your period of work experience as a Graduate Research Assistant (NOC 4012) at the (University (name removed)) does not meet the requirements of b) above as the duties listed in your letter of reference do not match the actions of the lead statement under the NOC code you selected. Your periods of work experience as a Graduate Teaching Assistant (NOC 4012) at the (University (name removed)) do not meet the requirements of b) above as the duties listed in your letters of reference do not match the actions of the lead statement under the NOC code you selected. As such, you failed to demonstrate that your periods of work experience met the requirements listed above."

Also the letter I got from my supervisor was as follows :

"This letter certi es that (name removed) is currently a Ph.D. student in the Department of (removed)
at the University (name removed), where he is completing his research under my supervision. The speci c
dates of his research assistantships are given in the accompanying letter.
The typical responsibilities of our research assistants are as follows:
(1) conducting background literature searches
(2) development of new algorithmic ideas and theory
(3) development of software that implements the new algorithms
(4) writing and reviewing research posters and research papers
(5) oral presentations and discussion of research posters and research papers at University (name removed), other universities, and
conferences
(6) assisting with grant application and renewal for the aspects related to their work"

Also the letter from the department :

"This certifies that (name removed) is currently a registered full-time Ph.D. student in the Department of (removed) at the University (removed). He started the program in (removed) and plans to complete the
program requirements by (removed).
The following is his record of employment

Duties Duration Amount
Graduate Research Assistant (details removed)
Graduate Teaching Assistant (details removed)

The typical responsibilities of our teaching assistants are as follows. It is based on an average of 12-hour-per week.
a. organize reference materials, visual aids and other materials as required by the instructor,
b. conduct labs, tutorials, discussion groups,
c. assist in administration of examinations, and
d. grade exams, term papers, assignments and lab reports."

Is there something obvious I am missing here ? Also is there a point in getting a set of "fixed" letter of references and appealing against the decision ?

Many thanks !

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
zedd4x said:
Hi Guys,

My application was recently rejected stating "I am not satisfied that you meet these requirements. Your period of work experience as a Graduate Research Assistant (NOC 4012) at the (University (name removed)) does not meet the requirements of b) above as the duties listed in your letter of reference do not match the actions of the lead statement under the NOC code you selected. Your periods of work experience as a Graduate Teaching Assistant (NOC 4012) at the (University (name removed)) do not meet the requirements of b) above as the duties listed in your letters of reference do not match the actions of the lead statement under the NOC code you selected. As such, you failed to demonstrate that your periods of work experience met the requirements listed above."

"This letter certi es that (name removed) is currently a Ph.D. student in the Department of (removed)
at the University (name removed), where he is completing his research under my supervision. The speci c
(5) oral presentations and discussion of research posters and research papers at University (name removed), other universities, and
conferences
(6) assisting with grant application and renewal for the aspects related to their work"

"This certifies that (name removed) is currently a registered full-time Ph.D. student in the Department of (removed) at the University (removed). He started the program in (removed) and plans to complete the

Duties Duration Amount

The typical responsibilities of our teaching assistants are as follows. It is based on an average of 12-hour-per week.
a. organize reference materials, visual aids and other materials as required by the instructor,

Is there something obvious I am missing here ? Also is there a point in getting a set of "fixed" letter of references and appealing against the decision ?

Many thanks !
I don't know if you have been following this thread and checking it regularly or not. But it seems to me that you are missing the lead statement. Your letter does not explicitly state that you are assisting a university professor in research-related tasks. And by explicitly I mean the sentence "assisting X" does not show anywhere in your letter. Please check the sample reference letters that were provided in this thread. There is a link to them in N_O's signature I believe. Unfortunately CIC will not accept an appeal that is based on a letter you send after they made the final decision.

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
zedd4x said:
Hi Guys,

conferences

Duties Duration Amount

Many thanks !

Very unfortunate! Just for one line!
Have you been rejected from Ottawa or from Sydney?

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
informer2000 said:
I don't know if you have been following this thread and checking it regularly or not. But it seems to me that you are missing the lead statement. Your letter does not explicitly state that you are assisting a university professor in research-related tasks. And by explicitly I mean the sentence "assisting X" does not show anywhere in your letter. Please check the sample reference letters that were provided in this thread. There is a link to them in N_O's signature I believe. Unfortunately CIC will not accept an appeal that is based on a letter you send after they made the final decision.
Yes, I fully agree with informer2000 as I have almost the same RA/TA letter as your and my application was rejected in April 2013 so I reapplied after I have consulted a lawyer.

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
aalm said:
Very unfortunate! Just for one line!
Have you been rejected from Ottawa or from Sydney?
It's not about that, I think they mean it and they need only small number of PhD applicants regardless of what is written on CIC website.

zedd4x

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
informer2000 said:
I applied a long time back ( I think it was the first year for the Ph.D. stream ) and at that time all this information wasn't present. They asked me for Police certificates at some point and hence there was a delay associated with it. If there were subthreads they might also make it easier to look for specific information rather than reading 800 pages of posts I believe for people who don't read this thread everyday.

I will check the information you provided, many thanks. So then it seems like its definitive information that appeal does not help.

In regards to another question, yes I believe this mail was from Ottawa.

zedd4x

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
ubc2010 said:
Yes, I fully agree with informer2000 as I have almost the same RA/TA letter as your and my application was rejected in April 2013 so I reapplied after I have consulted a lawyer.
Would you care to share the counsel provided by your lawyer with regards to this matter ?

Thanks !

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
zedd4x said:
Would you care to share the counsel provided by your lawyer with regards to this matter ?

Thanks !
Sure,
He suggested that I should reapply instead of submitting an appeal as it will take more time and they don't like it (they will look for any reason to reject your appeal). Also, we have limited time (I guess) for eligibility to apply under this category. Therefore, I think you should reapply.

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
hamed_hamed_hamed said:
Once we defended our phd thesis, does CIC accept a letter that just confirm we have completed the degree? I mean will they consider us then a phd holder to award us such points? I am asking this since graduation usually happens many months after thesis defense!
Did you send a letter of PhD completion? If yes, how? By mail or email.
Thanks

zedd4x

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
ubc2010 said:
Sure,
He suggested that I should reapply instead of submitting an appeal as it will take more time and they don't like it (they will look for any reason to reject your appeal). Also, we have limited time (I guess) for eligibility to apply under this category. Therefore, I think you should reapply.
I see, many thanks !

Uzbekistan

Sep 26, 2013
Does it mean that you have passed eligibility requirement(gained sufficient points to qualify)? or they will make an assessment later during processing of your application? Did you also submit 6 month bank history? Thanks

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
ubc2010 said:
Did you send a letter of PhD completion? If yes, how? By mail or email.
Thanks
Not yet, but I am going to send one once I defended my thesis. I am not sure if they accept it or they require us to get officially graduated?