+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

oliveoyl

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Hi guys,

I much benefited from this forum during the application process, so I wanted to update you guys about my status and also will be happy to answer questions related to my experience, for benefit of future applicants. I got my PER email today!
Here are the relevant details
Application postmarked: Oct 26, 2012
Application reached CIO: Nov 1, 2012
PER email received: 7 Jan, 2013
TA/RA included: Yes
No. of persons in application: 1
Nationality: India

Please add me to the tracker. And thanks for this awesome forum!

Interesting anecdote: I was operating under the assumption, that in spite of CAPS being reached (which I learnt on this forum) that since the cycle would have ended on Oct 31st, 2012, I wanted to reach my application to CIC by that time just to be under the deadline, in case they cancelled it next cycle onwards( I know! stupid, eh!).
Accordingly, I sent it on Oct 26th, assuming by Fedex next business day delivery, it should reach by Oct 29th, 2012.
Hurricane Sandy came along and many flights were cancelled including FedEx ones. (Un)fortunately the package reached CIC on Nov 1st, 2012. So, it just might be that Sandy saved me the return of my application, although I am not too certain. I know applications were returned from Sept onwards, not sure October ones were returned too.
Anyways..now the wait begins.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
oliveoyl, congratulations. I would have to say that you were lucky to have your application get there by November 1 rather than the original estimated delivery time (28 or 29). This is just a guess on my part, but I would assume if your application actually made it before the 1st, they would have returned your application, just like everybody else that sent between the middle of September until the end of October. Once again, thanks for sharing this, and congratulations.

xhiddenx

Mar 1, 2012
oliveoyl said:
Hi guys,

I much benefited from this forum during the application process, so I wanted to update you guys about my status and also will be happy to answer questions related to my experience, for benefit of future applicants. I got my PER email today!

Interesting anecdote: I was operating under the assumption, that in spite of CAPS being reached (which I learnt on this forum) that since the cycle would have ended on Oct 31st, 2012, I wanted to reach my application to CIC by that time just to be under the deadline, in case they cancelled it next cycle onwards( I know! stupid, eh!).
Accordingly, I sent it on Oct 26th, assuming by Fedex next business day delivery, it should reach by Oct 29th, 2012.
Hurricane Sandy came along and many flights were cancelled including FedEx ones. (Un)fortunately the package reached CIC on Nov 1st, 2012. So, it just might be that Sandy saved me the return of my application, although I am not too certain. I know applications were returned from Sept onwards, not sure October ones were returned too.
Anyways..now the wait begins.
Congratulations!

Did you need the 5 points (adaptability point for 2 years study) to reach 67? Do you have any idea that they gave you or not?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
oliveoyl said:
Hi guys,

Congrats Dude. Much faster PER than last year. You were very lucky.

Also. Lots of people getting PR today from Quebec on https://www.facebook.com/LesOubliesDeBuffaloEnAction

The_Prince

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
Doc's Request.
POF: 21-03-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 18-02-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP (sent with application)
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
21-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Congrats oliveoyl, you are really so lucky ;)

Thanks for sharing your status

oliveoyl

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Thanks! Yes, I think it was sheer luck (thanks to Sandy), to have my application not returned.

Did you need the 5 points (adaptability point for 2 years study) to reach 67? Do you have any idea that they gave you or not?
I actually didn't need the adaptability points. I counted 3.5 years of full time work experience in equivalent of part-time (all from RA/TA).
I have been a RA/TA for 7 years. 2 years in my Masters (study in US) and 5 years in my PhD (Canada).
I am on my 6th year now, hoping to defend in March.
When I last counted, I had at least 70 points without the 5 adaptability points.
I have no idea I got the adaptability points or not.

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
So basically this effort is only for Quebec bound applicants?
Hopefully CPP-Ottawa will do something for all Forgotten Buffalo applicants !!!

TyrusX said:
Congrats Dude. Much faster PER than last year. You were very lucky.

Also. Lots of people getting PR today from Quebec on https://www.facebook.com/LesOubliesDeBuffaloEnAction

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
TyrusX said:
https://www.facebook.com/LesOubliesDeBuffaloEnAction
thanx :)

aler123

Dec 4, 2012
TyrusX said:
So far only 3 persons got PR after a few days less than a year. Many already crossed the 13 months line and have no end in sight. Those 8 months are not realistic, as it is known that CPP-Ottawa has a backlog of more than 10 thousand people waiting in line for more than 2 years

Thanks Tyrus for the info. From what I read in the forum recently a person got his PER two months after applying. Hopefully CPP will continue with the same speed to process the rest of the applications.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
aler123 said:
Thanks Tyrus for the info. From what I read in the forum recently a person got his PER two months after applying. Hopefully CPP will continue with the same speed to process the rest of the applications.
That was probably an total outlier, if the person was even telling the truth.
I got this reply to a e-mail I sent to Ottawa last Friday:

Dear TyrusX: Your application is currently in process and awaiting an assessment by an officer. Once that assessment is done, you will be contacted directly with further information. Please be advised that any work experience obtained after the submission of an application cannot be considered in awarding points.
So basically, from now one, I would recommend everyone to submit all possible work experience available. While I think I'm safe with my # points, I am afraid that if something happens, those 3 years of RA/TA that I didn't add because my "lawyer" didn't know they were valid may compromise my application. Also, I'm not sure how to interpret the first paragraph. It seems like I have been assigned to a office but the process hasn't actually started at all.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
TyrusX said:
So basically, from now one, I would recommend everyone to submit all possible work experience available. While I think I'm safe with my # points, I am afraid that if something happens, those 3 years of RA/TA that I didn't add because my "lawyer" didn't know they were valid may compromise my application. Also, I'm not sure how to interpret the first paragraph. It seems like I have been assigned to a office but the process hasn't actually started at all.
I got the following reply from Ottawa LAST JUNE:

Due to the very high volume of mail and files being sent to this office, we cannot confirm the receipt of documentation at this time. Your file is currently awaiting assessment by an officer. Once this is done, you will receive further communication from us. Your continued patience is greatly appreciated.
After 7 months, your application, which should be further ahead in processing stages compared to mine, is still awaiting assessment by officer. This is outrageous.

Anyway, did they say anything about the adaptability points? And how did you ask them to be reconsidered for these points? Did you bring up anecdotes from this forum? Not that I think you would need these points anyway (I think snow_walker did not include his TA/RA experience, and he still got his PR just fine), though it's always nice to have more points.

Thanks for this information, man.

TyrusX said:
I think the majority of applications got PER after roughly about 2 months. Well, last year, around March/April/May period, a lot of people got their PER after only a week (just before Ottawa went into slumber).

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
asbereth said:
I got the following reply from Ottawa LAST JUNE:

After 7 months, your application, which should be further ahead in processing stages compared to mine, is still awaiting assessment by officer. This is outrageous.

Anyway, did they say anything about the adaptability points? And how did you ask them to be reconsidered for these points? Did you bring up anecdotes from this forum? Not that I think you would need these points anyway (I think snow_walker did not include his TA/RA experience, and he still got his PR just fine), though it's always nice to have more points.

Thanks for this information, man.

I think the majority of applications got PER after roughly about 2 months. Well, last year, around March/April/May period, a lot of people got their PER after only a week (just before Ottawa went into slumber).
They didn't say anything about adaptability points by I referenced both the OP6 and the fact friends of mine in the same situation got that.

Not PER but PR. I think he asked about the time to get PR.

MarMar20

Jul 5, 2012
I applied under Phd stream and they received my file on March 5,2012. For my work experience I included my RA/TA (40 hours per week for two years) and also my work experience in industry which is about 6 years, but the letter for the work experience in industry just shows I worked there ,no more details such as salary, position,etc. They didn't give me (my employer) a letter with those information. Now I notarized a salary bill and also my contract and I don't know it is a good idea to add these documents now or waiting until they ask?
Maryam

TyrusX said:
I got this reply to a e-mail I sent to Ottawa last Friday:

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
MarMar20 said:
I applied under Phd stream and they received my file on March 5,2012. For my work experience I included my RA/TA (40 hours per week for two years) and also my work experience in industry which is about 6 years, but the letter for the work experience in industry just shows I worked there ,no more details such as salary, position,etc. They didn't give me (my employer) a letter with those information. Now I notarized a salary bill and also my contract and I don't know it is a good idea to add these documents now or waiting until they ask?
Maryam
MarMar20, that'll be tricky. I know I had some problems with that too - for at least one of my jobs. In which all my supervisors/ managers were no longer in the company and thus weren't able to write a letter for me (most of the time, you write the letter, but they just sign off for you). However, I was fortunate enough to have befriended the Accounts Manager of the company and she was nice enough to fill in the shows and assume as a previous manager. If you could get hold of someone or befriend someone there, it helps. Last but not least, make sure the letters are printed on paper with company letterhead.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
MarMar20 said:
Maryam
They will probably disregard you industrial experience. They really need those information in order to evaluate your application. You should attempt to obtain them and contact CPP-Ottawa ASAP.