+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Re: Points for education, i am getting 22 or 21

Adnan_HW said:
Dear Brothers,

i am new here, please help me with calculating my points.

i am 31 years old---------------Points 12
8 Years in Same JOB-----------Points 15

IELTS Score:

Listening -- 6.5 -- CLB--4
Reading -- 6.0 -- CLB--4
Writing -- 6.0 -- CLB--4
Speaking-- 7.0 -- CLB--6
------------------------------
Total-------------- CLB--18

So far my point is 12+15+18=45, I need 22 more to reach 67, here is my confusion; according to the following sentence

"Two or more Canadian post-secondary degrees or diplomas or equal Note de bas de page 1 (at least one must be for a program of at least three years)"

I have a 4 years Canadian equivalent Bachelor degree evaluated by WES on computer engineering & my 2 years HSC(Higher secondary Certification), is it making 22 or i will only get 21 for my education?

please suggest, do i have to sit for IELTS again ?
I strongly recommend to do the ILETS again to be in the safe side. The points for education is calculated based on the degree and NOT on the number of years even though they mentioned that in the website. That is, you will get 21 if you have MASTER degree or equivalent (your case seems to be so) and 25 for a PhD. Therefore, to be in the safe side redo the ILETS and avoid the nightmare.

Also this happen to me, when I applied I already had a master degree and one year certification but when they evaluated my education they only gave me 21 points (initial assessments). Then, after I graduated and got my PhD I sent a letter of completion before they start processing my application and I have got 25 points.

I also advise you to do the CELPIP test. It's easier and you will get more points for sure.
Thanks

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
bluelotus said:
Thank you very very much :). I am going to do it with Canada Post soon. I dearly wish that you receive your passport soon enough and that all your anxiety will go away. Plz do not lose hope, we've already come a long way.
Thanks Man. I hope so :)
Best

ALA447

Oct 14, 2014
Thank you for the explanation. Would you please share its (tracker for all 50 occupational classifications) link here?
Best

pepe84 said:
I don't think there is an up-to-date tracker for the PhD stream. I am only following the tracker for all 50 occupational classifications. I got the PER and CC charged according to this tracker, so hope my application continues with the same speed.

AprilMosaic

Oct 12, 2014
Hi ubc2010,

That was my intention of replying your post yesterday, to let you know that I had received my visa-stamped passport back yesterday...I included an Xpresspost envelope in the package, which was activated on Oct.14 in the evening and reached me on Oct.15. So I would guess your visa is issued and is just waiting to be sent back to you, finger-crossed!

Good luck,

ubc2010 said:
Hi AprilMosiac,
I think my passport and yours reached CPC Ottawa at the same day Sept 30. Please let me know as soon as you get your passport back, just to see the possibility of getting mine back within the same time frame.
Thanks

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014

ubc2010 said:
I strongly recommend to do the ILETS again to be in the safe side. The points for education is calculated based on the degree and NOT on the number of years even though they mentioned that in the website. That is, you will get 21 if you have MASTER degree or equivalent (your case seems to be so) and 25 for a PhD. Therefore, to be in the safe side redo the ILETS and avoid the nightmare.

Also this happen to me, when I applied I already had a master degree and one year certification but when they evaluated my education they only gave me 21 points (initial assessments). Then, after I graduated and got my PhD I sent a letter of completion before they start processing my application and I have got 25 points.

I also advise you to do the CELPIP test. It's easier and you will get more points for sure.
Thanks
The point for master degree is 23 not 21. This is based on what CIC provided (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/ECA_table_EN.pdf)
In your case, there should have been a problem that you did not get 23 at the beginning.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I agree with Viva2014, points granted for an MSc degree are 23, not 21. In his case, he will get 21 anyhow, because he does not have an MSc degree. The other post graduate diploma he holds does not qualify for the FSW class. Only the BSc will give you points (21). I do not think you have to re-take IELTS just to get 1 point more or 2 perhaps. You are above the threshold (6.0 on each band).

If you are not familiar with the CELPIP test, I wouldn't even suggest you to take it. Although it seems to be easier than IELTS, if you haven't studied the format of this test you me do worse than you did in IELTS.

As I said before, you may qualify for the 5 points of adaptability only if you have completed two years towards your PhD. Please ask your graduate office to write a supporting letter to demonstrate you have been studying full time for at least two years.

Good luck and hurry up, PhD stream will become inactive in January 2015.

Viva2014 said:
The point for master degree is 23 not 21. This is based on what CIC provided (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/ECA_table_EN.pdf)
In your case, there should have been a problem that you did not get 23 at the beginning.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sure, find it below please!

Click on the second tab (named as charts), then goto the second chart and you will see all the records graphed since May 2014 up to date.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11gAbKSoDoOr1s8_raB1qwz0i-ZH0NyNWhhn18O6kHwQ

ALA447 said:
Thank you for the explanation. Would you please share its (tracker for all 50 occupational classifications) link here?
Best

Saph

Feb 17, 2014
pishvaz said:
Hi Admin,
Could you please update my info.

Application reached CIO: 6th Jan. 2014
PER issued: 21th Feb 2014
Document Request : 05th Sept. 2014
RPRF Request: 25th Sept. 2014
Medical Request: 26th Sept. 2014
Passport Request: 14th Oct. 2014
Number of people: 1
Nationality: Iranian

I was requested to submit a letter explaining my military service exemption. I thought it might be a good idea to share my response with others. Here is my answer:

Subject: with regards to the officer's question about why I was exempt from conscription.

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am exempt from conscription pursuant to the executive bylaw for Educational Military Exemption, which is a section of the Military Service Law. According to this bylaw, males who continue their studies are exempt from military duty and conscription.
As I have continuously pursued educational studies from xxxxx111 to the present day, I have been and continue to be exempt from military service. The time period for my studies has been as follows:
• Oct. xxxx111 – Sep. xxxx: Undergraduate studies towards my bachelor's degree
• Oct. xxxx – Jan. xxxx: Graduate studies towards my master's degree
• Feb. xxxx – Aug. xxxx: Post-graduation respite
• Sep. xxxx – Present: PhD student

Sincerely,

Good Luck :)
Hi,

Did you send the requested document by e-mail?

linux64

Aug 31, 2013
Hi,
A question about landing:
I am in Victoria and I want to land. What is the easiest way to land without a car? I want to do landing in 1 day considering I have to take the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver and come back the same day.
Can I land in Point Roberts near Tsawwassen (BC Ferry Terminal)?

I was planning to book an appointment for landing with CIC call centre 888 242 2100, but I couldn't find any option in automatic machine reply.

bidari835

Jul 8, 2011

pepe84 said:
I agree with Viva2014, points granted for an MSc degree are 23, not 21. In his case, he will get 21 anyhow, because he does not have an MSc degree. The other post graduate diploma he holds does not qualify for the FSW class. Only the BSc will give you points (21). I do not think you have to re-take IELTS just to get 1 point more or 2 perhaps. You are above the threshold (6.0 on each band).

If you are not familiar with the CELPIP test, I wouldn't even suggest you to take it. Although it seems to be easier than IELTS, if you haven't studied the format of this test you me do worse than you did in IELTS.

As I said before, you may qualify for the 5 points of adaptability only if you have completed two years towards your PhD. Please ask your graduate office to write a supporting letter to demonstrate you have been studying full time for at least two years.

Good luck and hurry up, PhD stream will become inactive in January 2015.

Hi There,

Just wondering are you sure that PhD stream will become inactive January 2015 onwards. However, i am thinking of applying soon. Could you please clarify this.

Best Regards,

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I am 90% sure that as soon as the FSW program is substituted by the Express Entry, the PhD stream will no longer exist. What could happen is that CIC may continue accepting applications in Jan 2015 until all caps are full. But when all caps are full, including the PhD stream cap, then forget about any category of the FSW program. Sadness but reality!

PhD Applicant FSW

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2014
Doc's Request.
24-04-2015, 05-05-2015
Nomination.....
09-02-2015
AOR Received.
22-01-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with Application; RPRF: 05-05-2015
Med's Request
05-05-2015
Med's Done....
12-05-2015; Uploaded: 21-05-2015
Interview........
Third Line 02-06-2015; Decision Made: 22-06-2015
Passport Req..
29-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-07-2015 Received: 09-07-2015
LANDED..........
10-07-2015
Hello Everyone,

I spent lot of time reading the posts here and found to be very useful to apply. I would like to thank all of you who have actively advised everyone with questions and concerns.

I have a question here however, this might be repetitive but i really need an answer. I do not have a work experience (outside academia) as i am a PhD student completed 2.5 years so far. Could i be able to use my RA and TA as work experience? If so, is it considered as full time or part time and how many hours do we have to provide in order to attain the points on the work experience.

Also Can anybody confirm/help me of my points on IELTS scores:

Listening : 7
Speaking : 8
Reading : 6
Writing : 6
Overall total score : 7

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Your IELTS scores are good to apply under this category, because you are above the threshold on each band. You should get a maximum of 20 points in the language skill. As for work experience, you can certainly use the RA/TA from the academia. Now it has to be continuous, full time or the equivalent to a part time for at least one year. If you have been TAing or RAing for 2.5 yrs without any gaps, you should be eligible to apply.

Don't forget to have your foreign credentials assesed before submitting your application. If you have earned an MSc degree or BSc from Canada, this does not apply to you.

Cheers and best luck!
PhD Applicant FSW said:
Hello Everyone,

I spent lot of time reading the posts here and found to be very useful to apply. I would like to thank all of you who have actively advised everyone with questions and concerns.

I have a question here however, this might be repetitive but i really need an answer. I do not have a work experience (outside academia) as i am a PhD student completed 2.5 years so far. Could i be able to use my RA and TA as work experience? If so, is it considered as full time or part time and how many hours do we have to provide in order to attain the points on the work experience.

Also Can anybody confirm/help me of my points on IELTS scores:

Listening : 7
Speaking : 8
Reading : 6
Writing : 6
Overall total score : 7

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

vivi

Jan 1, 2014
Hello folks!

How many days after the doctor submits the e-medical results, we should expect to see "Medical results have been received" in the online service?