+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apartment rental proof of income requirement for newcomers

vanhugo19

Apr 20, 2023
Hi, I am an international student coming to Winnipeg for the first time and looking for rental apartments. However most of the renting agency required proof of income. As a student and a newcomer, I may not have this document yet. But I do have work documents, paystub, and saving account in my home country. If I attach the documents from my home country, does it justify the proof of income requirement? Or I will not be able to rent any apartment at all... Thank you and I love to hear from you all.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I am an international student coming to Winnipeg for the first time and looking for rental apartments. However most of the renting agency required proof of income. As a student and a newcomer, I may not have this document yet. But I do have work documents, paystub, and saving account in my home country. If I attach the documents from my home country, does it justify the proof of income requirement? Or I will not be able to rent any apartment at all... Thank you and I love to hear from you all.
You will have to try somehow.

Reactions: vanhugo19

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Have you arrived in Winnipeg? If not you may have to wait and meet face to face with potential landlords. You have may better chance with renting from an individual out of a person’s house (room rental or apartment in house). Rental agencies may want to see proof of funds in Canadian bank accounts. Work documents and pay stubs are not with a Canadian employer, correct? This may not help since you are living in Canada.

vanhugo19

Apr 20, 2023
Have you arrived in Winnipeg? If not you may have to wait and meet face to face with potential landlords. You have may better chance with renting from an individual out of a person’s house (room rental or apartment in house). Rental agencies may want to see proof of funds in Canadian bank accounts. Work documents and pay stubs are not with a Canadian employer, correct? This may not help since you are living in Canada.
No I have not arrived in Winnipeg now yet but in August. Thanks for your suggestion. I will try that.
And no, the work documents and all are not with Canadian employer because those were from my past income and saving. I understand your point. Hopefully a face to face discussion will help.