+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anybody got 'One year graduate study' in WES Report?

Faithope

Star Member
Mar 21, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please help.

According to WES, Graduate means a Study or program undertaken after bachelor's degree, usually in preparation for master's degree or Ph.D. (doctorate).

So what I feel, it is Bachlors + Study towards Masters.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Faithope said:
On the top it says Bachelor Degree - 4 years and I believe that is for Bachelors but what if I take Masters as "Study towards Masters" from the list above. It is a study that is done towards Masters.

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Bachelor's degree (four years)

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
1. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Bachelor of Arts
Year: 2003
Awarded by: Jawaharlal Nehru University
Institution Status: Recognized
Major/Specialization: Chinese Language and Literature
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

2. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Master of Arts
Year: 2006
Canadian Equivalency: One year of graduate study
Unfortunately, there is no concurrence on this. But I'm going to insist that your overall equivalency determines your highest qualification which, in your case, happens to be a 4 year Bachelors degree.

According to WES, your 5 year education in India corresponds to a 4 year Bachelors education in Canada.

And I'm not entirely sure if applicants are allowed to interpret the ECA summary. 1 year of Graduate study is exactly what it means. It isn't Study towards Masters - WES would mention that if that is what they meant.

All the best!

Faithope

Star Member
Mar 21, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Asivad Anac,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I want to know if the terms used by WES and CIC should be same.

WES have written the highest degree on the top which is Bachelors - 4 years as per them.

Thanks.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Faithope said:
Hi Asivad Anac,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I want to know if the terms used by WES and CIC should be same.

WES have written the highest degree on the top which is Bachelors - 4 years as per them.

Thanks.
CIC says Bachelors degree or other program (three or more years) which amount to the same thing as the summary provided by WES which is Bachelors - 4 years.

Another way of looking at this is through the FSWP 100 point grid definitions. In my opinion, you would score 21 points in Education because your equivalency is one degree and not two or more.

Two or more Canadian post-secondary degrees or diplomas or equal(at least one must be for a program of at least three years) 22 points

Canadian post-secondary degree or diploma for a program of three years or longer, or equal 21 points

jk_indian

Jul 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2016
AOR Received.
29-01-2016
Med's Done....
05-02-2016
Passport Req..
05-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2016
LANDED..........
Expected (15-09-2016)
Haven't applied for the Credential Evaluation yet, but did a sample evaluation at WES Degree Equivalency Tool online and got the below result.

Credential 1
Country of Education: India
Name of Degree: Bachelor of Technology
Name of Institution: Mahatma Gandhi University
Equivalency in Canada: Bachelor's degree (4 years)

Credential 2
Name of Degree: Master of Science (2 year Off Campus Work Integrated Course)
Name of Institution: Birla Institute of Technology and Science
Equivalency in Canada: 1 year of graduate study

The CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY is not shown in the webpage. I assume from the other posts that it will be "Bachelor's degree (four years)" only. (Though I have also completed 2 year Masters degree in India).

Please help me by answering below queries:
1. Under 'Level of Education' factors in CRS, i will be able to claim ONLY the 112 points for "Bachelor's degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute" and NOT the 119 points for "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years".
Is this understanding correct?
2. Under 'Skill transferability factors', will i be able to claim the 50 points for "Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer" combined with CLB9 in IELTS?
or only the 25 points for "Post-secondary program credential of one year or longer" combined with CLB9.
3. Which agency is the best (w.r.to, response time, no additional document requirements, no time taking direct verifications with the universities, usefulness of the certificate for seeking employment at Toronto, cost etc)? WES or CES UoT or ICAS?
4. Will there be a more favourable evaluation than the above pasted, if i choose any agency other than WES?

Many thanks in advance.

allthebest

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
My Masters degree was one year and WES defined it as Canada equivalent of Masters degree. You may want to appeal with WES or call them to check whether they can confirm their assessment. As Asivad mentioned, one year graduate assessment wont give you the extra points. Thats also my understanding

karenn1617

May 29, 2015
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
jk_indian said:
Haven't applied for the Credential Evaluation yet, but did a sample evaluation at WES Degree Equivalency Tool online and got the below result.

Credential 1
Name of Degree: Bachelor of Technology
Name of Institution: Mahatma Gandhi University
Equivalency in Canada: Bachelor's degree (4 years)

Credential 2
Name of Degree: Master of Science (2 year Off Campus Work Integrated Course)
Name of Institution: Birla Institute of Technology and Science
Equivalency in Canada: 1 year of graduate study

The CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY is not shown in the webpage. I assume from the other posts that it will be "Bachelor's degree (four years)" only. (Though I have also completed 2 year Masters degree in India).

Please help me by answering below queries:
1. Under 'Level of Education' factors in CRS, i will be able to claim ONLY the 112 points for "Bachelor's degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute" and NOT the 119 points for "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years".
Is this understanding correct?
2. Under 'Skill transferability factors', will i be able to claim the 50 points for "Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer" combined with CLB9 in IELTS?
or only the 25 points for "Post-secondary program credential of one year or longer" combined with CLB9.
3. Which agency is the best (w.r.to, response time, no additional document requirements, no time taking direct verifications with the universities, usefulness of the certificate for seeking employment at Toronto, cost etc)? WES or CES UoT or ICAS?
4. Will there be a more favourable evaluation than the above pasted, if i choose any agency other than WES?

Many thanks in advance.

Hey,

Answer to your questions are as follows -

1. If you are getting your Master's equivalent as "One year of Graduate Studies" and not "Canadian's one-year equivalent specifically mentioned, then you can claim 112 points only and not 119 points. Further, also a note here 112 points can be claimed only when if you are married and applying with a spouse while if you are single (un-married), then you can claim 122 points for this.

2. It goes directly proportionate on two things - first your IELTS score (CLB equivalent) and second the point 1 above.

3. In my case, WES takes a total of 14 working days time. So will say, prefer that one.

4. It depends as sometimes (not much BUT only sometimes), results will be more in your favour.

All the best.
K

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
I don't think you can claim "Two or more..."

Your 2nd degree says 1 year of Graduate study. Graduate not Post-graduate which is what it should've been if it was evaluated as a post-Bachelor's education credential. You haven't mentioned your overall summary, what does that say?

I imagine that you will have to choose Bachelor's degree in your profile.
This is absolutely correct. If your ECA does not explicitly state you have a post-graduate degree or certificate, but only "one year of graduate study" (which is actually the same thing as post-graduate study), then you can claim only the bachelor's degree.

This is due in part to differences between the North American educational system and systems in other parts of the world. Master's degrees in Canada must include some original research as the basis of a thesis, while bachelor's theses can be based on a survey of already-existing literature. Another issue is the number of credit-hours involved, which are often lower in other countries than here. If your study did not include the number of hours it would have in Canada, they won't give you the equivalent degree. Those and other differences are the reason that education accepted as Master's level in some places will be downgraded to a bachelor's degree here.

But not to worry too much -- my partner's 5-year Mgr (Master's) degree from Slovakia was evaluated as a 4-year bachelor's, and I was given credit for my 4-year US bachelor's degree, but only "one year of graduate study" for my Slovak MBA. We still got an ITA, and all is good.

JB007

Oct 27, 2014
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 May
Doc's Request.
24 May
AOR Received.
15 May
Med's Done....
23 Apr
JB007 said:
I have discussed this in many threads before. This is indeed the right option. two or more... I had the same situation, and on confirmation I went ahead with this option claiming a total of 129 corresponding points. I'm awaiting my PR :)
I just checked my WES report, and I must admit that before @Asivad pointed it out, I hadn't noticed what my title mentions. It says "CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Bachelor's degree (four years) and post-graduate certificate
(one year) " Hence I chose the option Two or more... Now I do see the point of confusion over "One year Graduate Study" but I shall still state that it should be tr Two or more.." as one year graduate study after bachelors' , towards a masters' degree, diploma or certificate, deserves the same recognition.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JB007 said:
I beg to disagree with esteemed seniors @ Asivad and @ Dobes.
A "Graduate pogram" in Canada and North America, or "Graduate Study" is used with reference to "Post-graduate study". I have a Postgraduate Diploma from the University of Bristol , England. Now since masters' programs are normally 1 year in the UK, they are often evaluated as "One year Graduate Study". I had to submit a dissertation and number of credits was equivalent to what is required for a similar program in Canada. Yet, my diploma was evaluated as "One year Graduate Study". Also, my fiance has been in Canada for 5 years, pursued his masters there and was an assistant professor at the University of Northern British Columbia. We discussed with his colleagues and I can confirm that the appropriate option in a case of Canadian equivalency of 4 years' bachelors and One year graduate study is "Two or more certificates..." :). I applied on 16th of May after receiving my ITA on 10th April.
Like I said, there is hardly any concurrence on this but I see your point.

Someone who gets 1 year of graduate study is 'more' entitled to claim "Two or more..." than someone who has been evaluated as a 4 year Bachelors degree. Even though the ECA conversion chart liberally makes use of the terms post-Bachelors and post graduate, it doesn't mention '1 year of graduate study' explicitly anywhere hence the requirement for all this debate.

JB007

Oct 27, 2014
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 May
Doc's Request.
24 May
AOR Received.
15 May
Med's Done....
23 Apr
Asivad Anac said:

Someone who gets 1 year of graduate study is 'more' entitled to claim "Two or more..." than someone who has been evaluated as a 4 year Bachelors degree. Even though the ECA conversion chart liberally makes use of the terms post-Bachelors and post graduate, it doesn't mention '1 year of graduate study' explicitly anywhere hence the requirement for all this debate.
I agree with your statement 100%.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:

I strongly don't feel that someone with 1 year of graduate study (myself included) can claim the two or more category. One of the biggest problems with this - and the reason I didn't do it - is that it may feel good to have all those points while you are waiting for an ITA, but if your PR application is rejected because their calculation of your points falls below the bottom limit of your draw, you will feel AWFUL. I preferred to take the lower points that I knew I could support.

Faithope

Star Member
Mar 21, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So seniors as I have two credentials so can I claim points for "Two or more...." ?

Bachelor's degree (four years)

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
1. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Bachelor of Arts
Year: 2003
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

2. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Master of Arts
Year: 2006
Canadian Equivalency: One year of graduate study

Caspper

Star Member
Apr 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here are my two cents, back in January WES assessed my diplomas as :

Diploma (three years) and one year of graduate study

Even though, I believed that I was already qualified to two or more diplomas section, to avoid any misunderstanding with CIC, I asked WES to review my ECA, I explained that CIC isn't clear if one year of graduate study would be recognized or not. After couple weeks, they replied and changed my equivalency to:

Diploma (three years) and post-graduate certificate (one year)