+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
For all of you that think this won't affect us, look at this article. I had to have it translated into English, but it is heartbreaking. I hate to think that this would happen to me when I go. https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1767870/immigration-canada-residents-coronavirus-frontiere?fromApp=appInfoIos&partageApp=appInfoiOS&accesVia=partage

Let me know what ya'll think about this article.
This is new economic permanent residents - apparently both the website, and their COPR letter, says in big bold letter not to travel at this time and to contact immigration for further instructions.

Not having that particular couple's letter in front of me, I can't comment on whether or not this is true. But it will not affect anyone on this thread, since we are all sponsoring a spouse, and immediate family members are excluded from this policy.

Gtiffen

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
For all of you that think this won't affect us, look at this article. I had to have it translated into English, but it is heartbreaking. I hate to think that this would happen to me when I go. https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1767870/immigration-canada-residents-coronavirus-frontiere?fromApp=appInfoIos&partageApp=appInfoiOS&accesVia=partage

Let me know what ya'll think about this article.
I read this article just now, and there has to be more to this story? i brought my wife to Canada on January 13th from Colombia. She had her CoPR, we had our negatice PRC tests and our quarentine plans in place. Got through immigration no problem whatsoever. As i mentioned earlier in this thread my sister (also canadian citizen) is landing with her egyptian spouse today having flown in from Qatar, and he has his CoPR, negative tests obviously and quarentine plans. We shall see how it all goes! (update: ok, i guess they are not coming under the Family reunification exeption that our loved ones with Spousal visas would be allowed to land under?, but still i think theres more to this story)

Reactions: JohnnyToronto

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
I read this article just now, and there has to be more to this story? i brought my wife to Canada on January 13th from Colombia. She had her CoPR, we had our negatice PRC tests and our quarentine plans in place. Got through immigration no problem whatsoever. As i mentioned earlier in this thread my sister (also canadian citizen) is landing with her egyptian spouse today having flown in from Qatar, and he has his CoPR, negative tests obviously and quarentine plans. We shall see how it all goes! (update: ok, i guess they are not coming under the Family reunification exeption that our loved ones with Spousal visas would be allowed to land under?, but still i think theres more to this story)
There isn't more to the story - the new economic PRs are not allowed in unless they live in the US. They missed the memo, apparently.

Reactions: scylla and Gtiffen

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There isn't more to this story. This is very well known and old news. Your example involves spousal sponsorship which is exempt from this rule and doesn't apply.

As others have said, individuals who received their COPR through an economic immigration stream (e.g. Express Entry, PNP, etc.) and who are not in Canada right now are only allowed to travel and land in Canada if their COPR was issued March 2020 or earlier. Otherwise they are not allowed to come to Canada at this time even though their PR applications have been approved and they hold a valid COPR.

Two basic exceptions to this rule are if you are coming from the US or have family members in Canada and can qualify to travel under an exemption.

Again, very well known. Rule has been in place since April of last year. Just wander over into the EE section of the forum. Many discussions about this there.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As others have said, individuals who received their COPR through an economic immigration stream (e.g. Express Entry, PNP, etc.) and who are not in Canada right now are only allowed to travel and land in Canada if their COPR was issued March 2020 or earlier. Otherwise they are not allowed to come to Canada at this time even though their PR applications have been approved and they hold a valid COPR.
This is basically a mistake of the airline and I expect it will cost the airline a fair amount of money.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The airline saw the COPR and the valid visa I don't blame them for being confused.

Since they were not deported, it's unclear the airline will pay anything.
You may be right, but I'm quite certain the airlines have received since march instructions on this.

Guessing, but it's fairly easy for them to confuse the concept of someone under a spousal exemption / travelling with a spouse vs two spouses with coprs travelling. But it is the airline's mistake.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Agree. I know at least 3 people who died from it (local. all parents of friends). And a few being hospitalized. I know at least 1 still struggling with lung damage after she "recovered" ... :(

It's very real.
Similar in my community.

The local Care home has over 20 deceased and dozens more infected since Dec. with many local families suffering due to a ' diligent ' care worker.
Unfortunately the party punks, anti-maskers, covid deniers, and quarantine jumpers are all snubbing their noses at the public safety rules thinking
they are smarter than everyone else. With this level of frustration and lack of vaccine, we are going to be into this for some time.

I wouldn't be making any travel plans yet.

AmyL

Star Member
Mar 3, 2020
There isn't more to the story - the new economic PRs are not allowed in unless they live in the US. They missed the memo, apparently.
So why on earth are they still processing economic PRs if those people will not be allowed in at this time? Why not prioritize spousal sponsorships that will be allowed in instead?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Because everyone who has applied for economic PR would be screaming about how their lives are on hold with no processing being done.

More practically, leaving applications behind for a long time just makes the catching-up a lot more difficult. Continuing processing is better - given that photos expire, medicals expire, police certificates expire, IELTS expires, work experience must be in the most recent 5 or 10 years... if you didn't process the economic PRs at all, everyone's eligibility would change before you started processing them again.