+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(Another) Quick Question

Frozen11

May 3, 2021
I am going through the process of getting my son's citizenship.

A friend of mine who also has a child born in Canada just got them both 10 year visitor visas in about a month. How??? Can I do that despite the fact that I have applied for his citizenship? I was going to do a "Spousal" visa for my common-law girlfriend of 5 years but that process takes about a year. Can I just apply for that 10 year Visa and go through the process while she is here? At least we would be together full-time (6 months here/6 months there! Or does having that Visa limit the ability of applying for the "spousal" visa?

As always..thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

A friend of mine who also has a child born in Canada just got them both 10 year visitor visas in about a month. How??? Can I do that despite the fact that I have applied for his citizenship? I was going to do a "Spousal" visa for my common-law girlfriend of 5 years but that process takes about a year. Can I just apply for that 10 year Visa and go through the process while she is here? At least we would be together full-time (6 months here/6 months there! Or does having that Visa limit the ability of applying for the "spousal" visa?

As always..thank you!
A child who is already a citizen by birth does not qualify for a TRV. It's really impossible for us to comment on the "how" without knowing the full details of their case. Althought very remote, there's always some chance of an officer error. But again, impossible to comment with such limited details.

I think you are also asking a second question about your partner. Your partner can certainly try applying for a visitor visa. Whether she is approved or not is a different matter. If she is approved, you can certainly wait until she is in Canada to start the sponsorship process. Having a TRV does not impact the ability to apply for spousal sponsorship.

Ultimately your choice. Seems like you've already delayed applying by a couple of years so I would recommend applying for something asap for your spouse to start the process moving forward.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

A friend of mine who also has a child born in Canada just got them both 10 year visitor visas in about a month. How??? Can I do that despite the fact that I have applied for his citizenship?
How soon do you expect/want to leave with your child? Apply for temp passport. They may issue based on presumptive citizenship.

Frozen11

May 3, 2021
How soon do you expect/want to leave with your child? Apply for temp passport. They may issue based on presumptive citizenship.
The only option they suggested was once his citizenship app is processed, that I bring the UCI number and THEN they can do a "limited" travel passport!

An acquaintance got his child (Colombian born) and his girlfriend a TRV in about 30 days!! To me, that is what I am now looking to do and the rest can be done at a later date regarding getting my gf what she needs to stay here. Waiting 10-13 months....now is not acceptable!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The only option they suggested was once his citizenship app is processed, that I bring the UCI number and THEN they can do a "limited" travel passport!

An acquaintance got his child (Colombian born) and his girlfriend a TRV in about 30 days!! To me, that is what I am now looking to do and the rest can be done at a later date regarding getting my gf what she needs to stay here. Waiting 10-13 months....now is not acceptable!
Does your gf (is she your spouse or common law?) have a visa?

-No, it's not true that they have to wait for the citizenship application to be approved - although it's possible that is what they meant, that you just have to get the 'we've received your mail and are processing' response (which would have the UCI#). The 'usual' process is to apply for a limited passport along with documentation of the citizenship application (as applied). If the documentation is in order and there's no doubt about parentage/parent citizen, they should issue the limited passport. Again though: they may insist this is only when travel is 'imminent' (real and soon).

-My understanding is that processing these citizenship apps for minors born abroad takes considerably less than 13 months. The 'certificate of citizenship' timeline, if I understand correctly, includes ALL cases - and a lot of those are ones where the applicant has no specific need [eg already have passport etc] and so low priority, and a fair number of cases that are 'complicated' - people making claims based on complicated historical records, descendants of military personnel from WWII, documentation incomplete, etc. Kids born abroad - if the parent was born in Canada or naturalized - are for the most part 'easy' cases. (Another complicated type of case can be parents who are now by law 'citizens by descent' - because the law changed relatively recently (Harper govt) and so can depend on timeline.