+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

An Experience with e-CAS (From "Oath" to "Applying for Passport")

Intel

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
2005-09
Med's Request
2009-08
Med's Done....
2009-10
Passport Req..
2010-05
VISA ISSUED...
2010-06
LANDED..........
2010-07
My wife recently got her citizenship. As expected, the citizenship ceremony officer stated that my wife can apply for passport after two business days (48 hours).

I noticed that e-CAS is now getting updated in real-time (in case of my wife, the status changed to "Decision Made" right after she took the citizenship test). I believed that if this is the case, my wife may use e-CAS after the oath as a way to check for the ability to apply for passport earlier.

Therefore I advised my wife to keep checking e-CAS until the status changes to "Complete". The status changed to "Complete" the next day in the morning (about 24 hours from oath). She went to the passport office in the afternoon that day and applied for the passport without any hassles.

Please note that the 48-hour period is to give time for the citizenship officers to enter the information of new Canadians into the GCMS. In many cases, citizenship officers may enter the information of new Canadians just after the citizenship ceremonies specially for the morning ones.

Reactions: adilmk123

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
1-2 days doesn't really make that much of a difference, unless immediately there is a need of travel.
Passport Canada just needs the certificate of citizenship that's what they used in the past also to approve passport applications.
I guess some people just wanna do it all in one day, just like we did back few yrs ago, we had oath at 1pm and then right away we went down 1 floor to passport office to apply (at scarboro centre office this is easy and convenient).
Ofcourse as a Canadian one needs the passport to travel.

Intel

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
2005-09
Med's Request
2009-08
Med's Done....
2009-10
Passport Req..
2010-05
VISA ISSUED...
2010-06
LANDED..........
2010-07
canvis2006 said:
1-2 days doesn't really make that much of a difference, unless immediately there is a need of travel.
I agree. The purpose of my post was to inform those who want to apply urgently, or (as in my case), who want to get all paperwork done before getting back to work.

canvis2006 said:
Passport Canada just needs the certificate of citizenship that's what they used in the past also to approve passport applications.
Although the citizenship certificate is required, it is just a letter-sized paper with no photo or other security features (in our cases). When I applied for my passport, the passport officer first scanned the certificate number (with a barcode reader) to ensure it's validity in the system before proceeding with my application (same case with my wife).