+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I exempt from doing another IME if I did my previous one in 2021? - Temporary Public Policy

River1

May 22, 2023
Hi - I am applying for PR from Canada. I did an IME for my work permit back in 2021 (< 5 years) and I have been living in Canada. Has anyone successfully relied on the temporary public policy (see below) and got their medical exam waived? Can I rest (financially haha) knowing that they will not ask me for another one? Someone I know said that they were still requested to do new medical exams later on, although they had done a medical exam within the past 5 years - that confused me and I would like to hear about other people's experiences. Will my medical exam be waived? What have you experienced or heard?

The following is IRCC's temporary policy
"We’ve put in place a temporary public policy for immigration medical exams (IMEs) until October 6, 2024.
If you completed an IME within 5 years of submitting your new application, include the IME number (or the unique medical identifier number) from your previous exam in your current application.
You may be exempt from completing another IME if you meet all of these conditions:

• You applied, or are applying, for either permanent residence or temporary residence.
  • You already live in Canada.
  • You completed your previous IME in the last 5 years.
  • Your previous IME indicated a low risk or no risk to public health or public safety."

River1

May 22, 2023
Hi - I am applying for PR from Canada. I did an IME for my work permit back in 2021 (< 5 years) and I have been living in Canada. Has anyone successfully relied on the temporary public policy (see below) and got their medical exam waived? Can I rest (financially haha) knowing that they will not ask me for another one? Someone I know said that they were still requested to do new medical exams later on, although they had done a medical exam within the past 5 years - that confused me and I would like to hear about other people's experiences. Will my medical exam be waived? What have you experienced or heard?

The following is IRCC's temporary policy
"We’ve put in place a temporary public policy for immigration medical exams (IMEs) until October 6, 2024.
If you completed an IME within 5 years of submitting your new application, include the IME number (or the unique medical identifier number) from your previous exam in your current application.
You may be exempt from completing another IME if you meet all of these conditions:

• You applied, or are applying, for either permanent residence or temporary residence.
  • You already live in Canada.
  • You completed your previous IME in the last 5 years.
  • Your previous IME indicated a low risk or no risk to public health or public safety."
@legalfalcon - tagging in case you have some advice

JadeTiger

Jan 10, 2024
Hi!

Yes, I did. My old medical was accepted, medical is "completed" in the tracker now with the expiration date in January 2025.
I did my old medical in the end of 2021 for the work permit.

However, I saw cases here where IRCC asked for re-medical in similar cases. So no 100% guarantees here.

River1

May 22, 2023
Hi!

Yes, I did. My old medical was accepted, medical is "completed" in the tracker now with the expiration date in January 2025.
I did my old medical in the end of 2021 for the work permit.

However, I saw cases here where IRCC asked for re-medical in similar cases. So no 100% guarantees here.
Thank for your reply! When did you apply for PR and when did it get marked as complete?

JadeTiger

Jan 10, 2024
Thank for your reply! When did you apply for PR and when did it get marked as complete?
I applied in the end of September, medical was marked as completed on December 13, 2024 with the expiration date in the past (October 2022).
In mid January 2024 expiration date was updated to January 2025.