+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alternate routes to parent sponsorship

maica1x

Jan 9, 2014
Hi, I just learned that parent sponsorship is a lucky draw each year and that it can take up to 4 years for the application to be approved. I understand a supervisa is an option and we may go this route, but what if we don't get picked??

My father died unexpectedly last month and my parents did not make any retirement plans, or consider options if one of them dies. My mother is turning 70 next year and completely on her own in a third world country, no family elsewhere and will lose her residency there as it was based off my father working (She's German). Does anyone know of any other routes to get my mother here living with us in Canada permanently quicker? Would this be considered a special case? My thoughts were possibly applying for work permit as a nanny, as she has a teaching degree and will help out loads with kids whilst we work. BUT she is 70 next year. I have been trying endlessly to call immigration and speak with someone but its simply IMPOSSIBLE.

Anyone have any ideas? I am speaking with a lawyer next week as well, to see what options we have but am super worried.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The chances of her being approved as a nanny given her age are very low. CIC will know you're just using this as a means of bringing her to Canada. Additionally, to even apply, she would need to have at least one year of full time paid work experience in the field in the last three years.

Another option would be to bring her here as a visitor and then apply for PR through H&C. Processing times for this stream are long (2 years during which she won't qualify for health care coverage) and refusal rates are high. But you can certainly try.

Parent applications do not take 4 years to be approved these days. 1-2 years.

EDIT: You shouldn't be calling CIC / immigration for advice. They don't provide advice. If you want advice, you need to hire a lawyer.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi, I just learned that parent sponsorship is a lucky draw each year and that it can take up to 4 years for the application to be approved. I understand a supervisa is an option and we may go this route, but what if we don't get picked??
You don't need to be "picked" for a supervisa. As long as you meet the basic income requirements you simply apply anytime, and supervisas are usually approved pretty quickly.

Once in Canada, as mentioned you can always try to apply for her PR under a H&C app. If you can show she has no support in her home country (so you have no siblings there that could possibly take care of here) or I assume in her native country of Germany, then the H&C app may have a chance to succeed. You would be strongly advised to get a lawyer for any H&C app you intend to submit.

Just note if the H&C fails, that would probably also means she'd no longer be able to come to Canada as a visitor or with supervisa, since they would know she wants to stay long term.

Also seconded, do not bother calling IRCC help centre on this. You'd get a different answer each time you'd called, as they are famous for giving wrong advice on anything but the most simple of questions (and even those they often screw up).

AlbertaRocks

Jun 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney.NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2015
Doc's Request.
04-05-2016
Nomination.....
25-05-2015
AOR Received.
21-08-2015
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Interview........
Probably not needed
Passport Req..
November 9,2016
VISA ISSUED...
Received on November 18,2016
LANDED..........
November 18,2016
Good Day,
My name is Nafees and I need help regarding an immigration matter. I initially applied for my mother to immigrate to Canada under Parent Sponsorship on December 2017, even though I am not eligible because I don't meet the income requirement (Full-time student and my wife was on maternity leave and currently not working). But I requested to proceed the application under humanitarian ground because my mother is a widow and I am the only child. The application was transferred to Singapore from CIC-Mississauga sometime in March. First week of September, my mother got police clearance and birth certificate submission request and the require documents were submitted on the last week of September. Last Wednesday, my mom received another email from CIC--Singapore regarding to submit additional documents to consider/ support her case before the final assessment. I need help/advise what documents do I need to send to make the case stronger.
Thanks.