+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Allowed into Canada without any issues, but

Madz410

Apr 7, 2014
Hey!

I posted an issue few months back :

quote author=Madz410 link=topic=195592.msg3033448#msg3033448 date=1396857665]
Hello all,

I really hope to find some help here as I'm really confused.

I'm a Conventional Refugee who got her PR on March 2012. On June 2012, I traveled to Dubai where I got married and stayed until now, April 2014. My marriage was annulled a month ago. I now plan to go back to Canada in a couple of month, do my Masters there and eventually get settled.

However, during my stay in Dubai I travelled to my home country twice for 10 days each; One time to visit my sick grandma and the other time to visit my ex-husbands' family who resides there.

My PR is valid until May, 2017.

My question is: Will I be allowed to re-enter Canada given the mentioned circumstances? Would they deport me from the airport if they aren't satisfied with my answers? What should I do? Please advise asap.

Thank you in advance.

[/quote]

I passed Immigration and was asked only these questions:
1) IO: Did you travel to Pakistan?
(I had a stamp and I chose to be honest) Me: Yes
2) IO: Why?
Me: My ex-husbands family lives in Pakistan so he wanted me to visit them even though I insisted not to.
3) IO: But you shouldn't have.
Me: I understand, but my husband at the time knew I can't travel back but still insisted because I later found out that he wanted me to loose my PR status so that I only depend on his sponsorship in Dubai.
4) IO: Did you report that to the CIC?
Me: I'm afraid not, I wasn't sure that I could.
5)IO (while stamping and returning my passport): You will have to explain your reasons of visiting your home country while applying for citizenship or renewing your PR.
Me: Oh okay, Thank you. I hope there isn't any problem.
6) IO: I'm not sure but that's to be done when you renew your PR.
Me: Thank you.

My question: My PR is valid until 2017 and I think because I was in Dubai for 2 out of 3 years I can't apply for citizenship until I renew my PR (I think?). So what does the IO mean with me having to explain while renewing PR? Do I have to provide any proof? She didn't report me nor file any case, since my reasons were genuine and I was being honest.

Anybody? Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you remain in Canada past your PR expiration date you dont need to renew if you dont plan to leave the country. If you think you might have to leave then yes you will need one and you will have to explain your visits, if asked. I honestly dont find visiting your inlaws a good reason to travel to a country you claimed refuge from. I believe things like this should be sorted out before marriage. What passport did you use to travel there?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
You also stated you traveled a 2nd time to see your sick grandmother. Was this also forced upon you by your husband?

CIC will be more diligent than CBSA when asking these questions. If it is determined that you went back to the very country you claimed your life was in danger from, they can and should take your PR from you and send you back to Pakistan.

I am sorry if I sound 'mean' about this, but you put yourself into this situation when you boarded a plane to Pakistan, not ONCE, but TWICE. That is not the actions of someone who is in genuine fear for their life.

Madz410

Apr 7, 2014
Alurra71 said:
You also stated you traveled a 2nd time to see your sick grandmother. Was this also forced upon you by your husband?

CIC will be more diligent than CBSA when asking these questions. If it is determined that you went back to the very country you claimed your life was in danger from, they can and should take your PR from you and send you back to Pakistan.

I am sorry if I sound 'mean' about this, but you put yourself into this situation when you boarded a plane to Pakistan, not ONCE, but TWICE. That is not the actions of someone who is in genuine fear for their life.
I came here for advice and not to be criticized. When I applied for Refugee, my reasons were very genuine because of which my case was expedited. You are no one to say if I SHOULD be deported back. Not everyone's life is easy and linear. I come from a culture where woman doesn't always has her say. I had to work really hard to get where I am right now.

Apart from not getting an advice here, you've really disheartened me. It is so easy for the ones who've gotten citizenship to tell others that you should leave or be deported.

Thanks for nothing. I'm out of this forum. Canadians were supposed to be nicest people (and I've only come across nice ones here in person, including my lawyer who sympathized with me). But that is not true for this forum.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Madz410 said:
Thanks for nothing. I'm out of this forum. Canadians were supposed to be nicest people (and I've only come across nice ones here in person, including my lawyer who sympathized with me). But that is not true for this forum.
Technically speaking, Alurra71 is not yet a Canadian. She landed only last year!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Madz410 said:
My question: My PR is valid until 2017 and I think because I was in Dubai for 2 out of 3 years I can't apply for citizenship until I renew my PR (I think?). So what does the IO mean with me having to explain while renewing PR? Do I have to provide any proof? She didn't report me nor file any case, since my reasons were genuine and I was being honest.
When you will be eligible to apply for citizenship has nothing to do with the expiry date of your PR card (the two are independent). Currently, to qualify to apply for citizenship you must have spend 3 out of the last 4 years living in Canada. However this rule is changing next year. So by the time you apply, you will have to live 4 out of the last 6 years in Canada to qualify.

It's hard to say what you should expect when you apply for citizenship and/or apply to renew your PR. I suppose it's possible the immigration officer added a note to your file indicating that you traveled back to your COP (country of persecution) and this could possibly come up during your PR renewal process / citizenship application process. If it does come up, you can expect CIC will be asking you to explain / justify why you were able to return to a country where you were in danger and possibly prove your original refugee claims were true / accurate. But again, I have no idea if they will actually ask. I would avoid all further travel to Pakistan until you actually become a citizen.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

scylla said:
When you will be eligible to apply for citizenship has nothing to do with the expiry date of your PR card (the two are independent). Currently, to qualify to apply for citizenship you must have spend 3 out of the last 4 years living in Canada. However this rule is changing next year. So by the time you apply, you will have to live 4 out of the last 6 years in Canada to qualify.

It's hard to say what you should expect when you apply for citizenship and/or apply to renew your PR. I suppose it's possible the immigration officer added a note to your file indicating that you traveled back to your COP (country of persecution) and this could possibly come up during your PR renewal process / citizenship application process. If it does come up, you can expect CIC will be asking you to explain / justify why you were able to return to a country where you were in danger and possibly prove your original refugee claims were true / accurate. But again, I have no idea if they will actually ask. I would avoid all further travel to Pakistan until you actually become a citizen.
I suggest that the OP go to the Federal Court decisions http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/en/nav.do and search on reavailment. If the CBSA officer refers her case to CIC she is going to have a real problem.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Madz410 said:
I came here for advice and not to be criticized. When I applied for Refugee, my reasons were very genuine because of which my case was expedited. You are no one to say if I SHOULD be deported back. Not everyone's life is easy and linear. I come from a culture where woman doesn't always has her say. I had to work really hard to get where I am right now.

Apart from not getting an advice here, you've really disheartened me. It is so easy for the ones who've gotten citizenship to tell others that you should leave or be deported.

I am sorry I did not sugar coat an answer for you and tell you everything will be OK. It has nothing to do with my level of niceness and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that you came to Canada because you were in fear of your life. You then turned around and not once, but twice went back to the very country you fled.

You asked what could happen to you. I answered you. If CIC gets this information you will likely wish my 'harsh' words were all that were said. That is what the laws are there for. You should not have come to Canada and claimed refugee and in fear for your life if that was not the truth. If it was the truth, then you will have to explain to CIC WHY you went back to Pakistan twice and why they shouldn't remove your PR status now.

I should also point out that you are on an Immigration forum full of folks that took various paths to either immigrate to Canada or to bring their loved ones to Canada. Rightfully so, man of us get a bit upset when someone comes in and asks what could happen to them now when they've apparently abused the system. Your case gives the appearance of abusing the system.