+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ALL H-1B HOLDERS IN U.S. LET'S CONNECT HERE WHO WANTS CANADIAN PR/CITIZENSHIP

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
ht7 said:
For retirement accounts, I plan to liquidate them a year after I move out of US. So that will be my only US income and I expect the tax hit to be low apart from the 10% penalty. But thats only if I am required to liquidate them.
Tax hit would be high unless you do 401k -> IRA -> RRSP conversion.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
deadbird said:
What is this conversion ladder you speak of?
http://taxca.com/blog-2016-9/

Too big a topic to discuss in an immigration forum. Check above link and also google for "401k to RRSP" and "IRA to RRSP".

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
APPNOV2014NY said:
http://taxca.com/blog-2016-9/
Too big a topic to discuss in an immigration forum. Check above link and also google for "401k to RRSP" and "IRA to RRSP".
Thanks

azm

Oct 21, 2010
Hello folks,

I have been a silent reader of this forum since long time. I have a couple of quick questions, I would appreciate if you can provide any information.

I'm thinking about to start the Canada PR process but not sure where and how to start. I have read many forum posts and blogs about the express entry and various PNP programs avilable, but not sure which one is the best and speedy way.
I am interested in moving to Ontario (Toronto) city as I have been there once on Visitor visa ( liked that city). I am in US since more than 7+ years on H1b and don't expect my green card in one more decade thus thinking about Canada for settle down with family.

Here's the Q's:
1) how do I start? what's the first step?
2) At which status or step I need to have an IELTS exam results and what's the minimum score requirement? Is it only for primary applicant or for spouse too ?
3) How long does it take to get the PR? I am in USA (NY/NJ) does it make any difference in processing?
4) Any advise from you guys ????

Thanks in advance.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
azm said:
Hello folks,

I have been a silent reader of this forum since long time. I have a couple of quick questions, I would appreciate if you can provide any information.

I'm thinking about to start the Canada PR process but not sure where and how to start. I have read many forum posts and blogs about the express entry and various PNP programs avilable, but not sure which one is the best and speedy way.
I am interested in moving to Ontario (Toronto) city as I have been there once on Visitor visa ( liked that city). I am in US since more than 7+ years on H1b and don't expect my green card in one more decade thus thinking about Canada for settle down with family.

Here's the Q's:
1) how do I start? what's the first step?
2) At which status or step I need to have an IELTS exam results and what's the minimum score requirement? Is it only for primary applicant or for spouse too ?
3) How long does it take to get the PR? I am in USA (NY/NJ) does it make any difference in processing?
4) Any advise from you guys ????

Thanks in advance.
1. You would most likely be eligible under the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program. Eligibility does not mean acceptance. Your application is accepted if you clear the cutoff with your comprehensive ranking system (CRS) points.
Calculate your points here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
See previous cutoffs - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/past-rounds.asp

2. you will need to have a complete all steps (including IELTS) before you submit an application. If your spouse is accompanying you, then she would need to take exams as well. Besides you would need to get your degree certificates verified amongst a long list of other requirements. (Google WES ECA)

3. 6 months from your date of acceptance (i.e. clearing cutoff with your points)

4. Apply for the FBI PCC early as that takes a very long time.

azm

Oct 21, 2010
Thanks a lot for your prompt response.

the requirement for spouse's IELTS, is this mandatory or optional ? What if, If I don't have that ?

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
azm said:
Thanks a lot for your prompt response.

the requirement for spouse's IELTS, is this mandatory or optional ? What if, If I don't have that ?
Optional. But you won't be able to claim points for her and may not be able to make the cutoff.

Alternatively, you should be aware that there exist provincial nomination programs (Google Ontario PNP) which will give you enough points to get an invite.

azm

Oct 21, 2010
thanks again.
So I guess, one I get my IELTS exam done then create an express entry profile on CIC website, 2nd step is submit an application for Ontario PNP. Is this a correct flow of steps ? you advice ?

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
azm said:
thanks again.
So I guess, one I get my IELTS exam done then create an express entry profile on CIC website, 2nd step is submit an application for Ontario PNP. Is this a correct flow of steps ? you advice ?
can you please make some effort and go through the sticky posts and by searching this forum?

sreedharreddi

Jan 23, 2017
i am also looking for some help to immigrate to canada, not sure whethre i am good to apply or not, when i calcualte the points i am getting 340. is it good enough?
i have 10yrs work experience in us, bot the spouse and i have MASTERs degree and working here in us

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
sreedharreddi said:
i am also looking for some help to immigrate to canada, not sure whethre i am good to apply or not, when i calcualte the points i am getting 340. is it good enough?
i have 10yrs work experience in us, bot the spouse and i have MASTERs degree and working here in us
340 seems awfully low for someone with 10 years work experience and advanced degrees unless you are much older and have poor English scores. Not much you can do about your age, but both you and your spouse can improve your IELTS scores.

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sreedharreddi said:
I am pretty sure you are forgetting the 'combination' points, i have seen many make this mistake. Use this calculator: http://www.ruichenlaw.com/eecalc/

RashmiRaghu

Nov 30, 2016
Hi All,

I am working in US on my H1B visa.
My husband is working in Canada and I want to relocate to Canada.
I have already applied for open work permit visa. Its been almost 2 months but no update on the application.
And I want to relocate in the end of Feb.
I have got job offer from one of well known company recently. By then I had applied for my visa.
Is there by any way I can expedite my visa to Canada so that I can travel in end of Feb.

Your answers helps me a lot.

Thanks in advance

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Can anyone decode what this company is offering? - https://www.thetruenorth.me/

Have they found some loophole around the US/Canadian immigration or is this merely filing for Work permit/LMIA?