+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

All Bangladeshis going to Canada this Fall'2012 join here

P2D2

Nov 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shadh said:
i had two more queries, although maybe not regarding these issues, but im not getting an answer so i guess i'll post it here just in case someone's kind enough to answer :)

1.should the airports charge me if i bring my 3.5 inch 2TB internal HDD with me when i come? Im coming for the first time on a study permit in ottawa, and I think I'll be bringing that HDD and quite an amount of clothes like most Bangladeshis :p .... but someone said canada might put a tax on that

2.I'm going to canada for doing my M.Eng in ECE from ottawa university. I'm planning to finish it by 3 semesters, but 1 semester will be null since ottawa doesn't offer m.eng courses in summer. My question is, if i do that, when I have applied for a work permit, what will be the duration of it and going through that , how will it affect my chances of getting a PR in ottawa? The official duration of the course is probably two semesters (says on my offer letter "it usually takes a person two years to complete the course")
I've been looking around for answers to your queries and here is what I found:

1.) I have seen many students going to, and coming from Canada, with smartphones and laptops who were never stopped by customs in Dhaka or in Canada. If you want to avoid customs inconveniences, then I suggest that you land first in Vancouver. It is widely known that Vancouver International is the best airport to avoid customs hassles. If you take your 2 Terabyte hard disk drive to Canada, you should not have to pay any customs duties or taxes as long as it is for your personal use and you don't intend to sell it or give it to any Canadian as a gift or use it for your business. You can also check the website of the airline/airlines that sold you the air ticket. Their website will have additional info on luggage restrictions and customs duties. Talk to your travel agent or airline. In addition, you must check the website of the Canadian Border Services Agency, which is responsible for all customs duties and taxation at all ports of entries in Canada. Ports of entries are defined as airports, seaports, etc. Info on customs duties and taxes for international students at Canadian airports is available here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

2.) My advice to you is don't inquire about permanent residency (PR) until you have successfully landed and have exited the airport in Canada with a Study Permit. Otherwise you might put your application in jeopardy.

Canada does not issue student visas and it does not have any student visa system like other countries. But all Bangladeshis need a visa and medical tests to enter Canada. So we apply for a Study Permit. CHC Singapore does not issue any study permit. Instead they give you a 'Letter of Introduction' and an air travel counterfoil or stamp on your passport. This allows you to travel to Canada. Once you're at the port of entry (airport) in Canada, you'll have to prove to the immigration officer that you still meet all the requirements of a study permit - proof of sufficient funds; ties to home country and you'll return home after graduation; you won't overstay or work illegally unless given a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP); etc. If you successfully answer all questions, and your answers match the info you submitted in your forms and supporting documents to CHC Singapore, then the port of entry officer will issue a Study Permit. A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is issued automatically together with the Study Permit. After you have settled in, you can talk to your international student adviser at the university about PR or PGWP or call the toll free number of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/index.asp) to inquire about PGWP.

Cheers!

P2D2

Nov 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Akib said:
Got my stamped passport today. Thanks people for all the help!
Congratulations Akib!

Your timeline:
App. Filed.......: 16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...: 27-07-2012

This suggests around two months wait for May applicants from Sylhet.

May God help us all.

Akib

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Sylhet
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS, Sylhet.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2012
AOR Received.
28-05-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted "7.5"
Med's Request
28-06-2012
Med's Done....
01-07-2012
Passport Req..
02-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2012
Thanks again! BTW what documents do students have to carry to Canada apart from the letter of introduction?

P2D2

Nov 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Akib said:
Thanks again! BTW what documents do students have to carry to Canada apart from the letter of introduction?
All documents that prove that you still meet the requirements of a Study Permit. Check here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-arriving.asp

Didn't CHC Singapore give you any instructions along with your Letter of Introduction?

Akib

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Sylhet
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS, Sylhet.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2012
AOR Received.
28-05-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted "7.5"
Med's Request
28-06-2012
Med's Done....
01-07-2012
Passport Req..
02-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2012
P2D2 said:
All documents that prove that you still meet the requirements of a Study Permit. Check here:

Didn't CHC Singapore give you any instructions along with your Letter of Introduction?
Thanks. No...

Akib

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Sylhet
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS, Sylhet.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2012
AOR Received.
28-05-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted "7.5"
Med's Request
28-06-2012
Med's Done....
01-07-2012
Passport Req..
02-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2012
P2D2 said:

BTW the link says i should have: "proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada. " But they have kept my bank statement, tax papers n stuff so how do i prove i have the money?

P2D2

Nov 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Akib said:
BTW the link says i should have: "proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada. " But they have kept my bank statement, tax papers n stuff so how do i prove i have the money?
You should've sent them the letter requesting that all your supporting documents be returned to you since you'll be needing them at the port of entry. Besides we're not supposed to send CHC Singapore the originals. Only notarized copies of the originals.

Nevertheless there is a shortcut. If you've paid your tuition fees, get a printout of that as evidence. Or else get a foreign currency draft made payable to your university. The amount should be equivalent to your tuition fees (at least 1 or 2 semesters' fees). Show that as evidence together with any cash (dollar) endorsed in your passport.

Regards.

P2D2

Nov 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys use Travelocity.com, Expedia.com, Cheaptickets.com or, my favorite, Cheapoair.com to find routes with the cheapest air fares for your destination in Canada. Then call your travel agent and tell him to find the US dollar fare of these routes for Bangladeshi citizens and book the flight at the lowest economy fare available. These websites usually display fares for US or European travelers. We get them way cheaper due to code-sharing!

Cheers!

PrayERS

Jul 10, 2012
Visa Office......
VFS Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 June 2012
AOR Received.
21 June 2012
Med's Request
09 July 2012
Med's Done....
10 July 2012
Passport Req..
11 July 2012
VISA ISSUED...
7th August 2012
LANDED..........
26th August 2012
azhar_sakib said:
No, i did not hear any rejection news after medical. If you get a medical call then u can be 99.99% sure that u'll get Ur visa stamped on Ur passport unless u have any medical problem like Tuberculosis, HIV etc...

Good luck. :)
lets hope for the best!! Fingers Crossed!!!

shadh

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
Ottawa
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ P2, A billion thanks for the helpful info, but i was just inquiring regarding my future plan, nonetheless, too many questions are plaguing my mind ..... for your conveniece, i've number-pointed them

1.what about the work permit duration? if my offer letter says "ususally takes two years" and if i complete in 4 semesters (including summer, which will be null since there's no course offered by ottawa at that time), how long would i get the work permit for? and what other doucments might help for that or for a pr that i should bring? (Im guessing this is a safe place to discuss PR ;) ....) ...Im going to attend M.Eng at University of Ottawa

2.I'm specially concerned about my documents, since i had some affidavits and a bank statement which VFS took , but i have notarized copies of those, even if vfs doesn't return those to me, i CAN'T send a letter asking for those since there will be no time. Could you just go over the list of documents I would have to bring to Canada ? I already know about the Passport, LOI, Offer Letter; and if possible, what/how would that whole interview thing at Canada go?(where i will get my Study Permit) . I'm really nervous in these situations; on a separate note, two of my uncles live in canada ... what if the immigration officer comes to that?

3.a friend tells me that i'd better bring an updated bank statement since it's been two months i applied and will be three by the time i reach canada.... so , the amount i convert to CAD and send to a canadian bank account, would that be endorsed in my passport? if planning to send about 2 semesters' fees and some extras; how would that work? and if i do bring an updated copy, should i take the statement before or after converting some of that money into CAD?

4.there's the thing about driving licences, do *international* driving licences make any differences ? some guy told me that if i can't show one, they make me attend a driving school for about 500-1k CAD

Again, thanks a lot, you've been of tremendous help

ssaquif

Jul 30, 2012
azhar_sakib said:
Congratulations! on your acceptance to Mcgill and I got accepted to Dalhousie University, B.Com (Co-Op). Currently studying in AIUB.

I think you should not defer to Jan session. Cz if you get a positive decision from the embassy then you may get ur visa stamped no more than September 1st week (maximum) or within august last Inshallah. Embassy also recommends to apply for visa 2 months before class starting date. So, I think we are in a tight schedule rather than being late.

And u can add status below your name after sending more than 10 msg's in this forum. If you already sent more than 10 then go on to profile option, click forum profile information.
Thanks and congrats to yourself on getting into Dalhousie and Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Can anyone who has recently received their study permit or Letter of introduction tell me what is exactly writen on it (quote if possible). Is there a particular time frame by which u have to enter Canada. For example, if i get my visa/letter of introduction from CHC Singapore early-mid September and defer my semester to Jan 2013, can i use that visa/letter of introduction to travel to Canada in late Dec or do I have to re-apply for the visa. I know I don't have to re-apply for my CAQ as it is valid up to next year.

kma

Star Member
Aug 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
AOR Received.
07-08-2014
shadh said:
passport released from SG !!! fingers crossed
Congratulations. It took 50 days only. I thought the average time is 60 days. Maybe now they are processing files faster.

shadh

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
Ottawa
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nah it took 46 days only .... hopefully within 50 days ill get the LOI , and yes now they should process faster because they've worked through the old jumbled up queue for most fall applicatns

PrayERS

Jul 10, 2012
Visa Office......
VFS Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 June 2012
AOR Received.
21 June 2012
Med's Request
09 July 2012