+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta Provincial Nominee-to establish myself in another province after landed

Nov 17, 2010
Hi All,

I am a Alberta Provincial Nominee who obtained a Alberta PN visa.

Since I am provincial nominee of Alberta:
- Am I required to go and live in Alberta before I can move to another province? If so, for how long?
- or can I go to establish myself in another province after landed in Alberta.

I would like to live in Ontario instead of Alberta, that is why I am asking.

Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What a good question to come with just now because I already answered this today on another thread except for Quebec so I don't have to re-type everything.

Answer:

There is no mandatory official "staying-time" for any PNP. However, you do sign a statement saying that you are intending to settle in that province. If you can be proven to have lied on any of your immigration papers, you can lose your PR.

It is only recently that immigration has started to cancel PR visas of people who are trying to land outside their PNP province and who either admit or evidence shows that they are not planning on settling there. Others have been given their PR but put on watch by the PNP in their province to look into if they do settle in that province and leaving it up to the PNP to report them if they don't.

In the future, the provinces themselves might crack down on this behaviour even more. It is possible that you will get away with leaving soon after landing and nothing will happen to you. It is also possible that they will find you in a year or two or three and ask you since you came through their program, what attempts you have made to settle in the province. If you left a day after you landed as a PR, you will not be able to say that you made any attempt. Therefore, it is safer to start out in your PNP province and try to find a job there. If you have been there for a few months and are unable to find a job but get a job offer somewhere else, then you can go ahead and move. If anybody were to ask you later, you can tell the truth, that is, you intended to settle, you gave it a try but unfortunately it did not work out for you there.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon, thanks for the introduction of the news.

I know many people who reside in Vancouver but they were applying for Quebec. What could happend to them ?
Does Quebec have the same policy ? Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same thing in Quebec. No official time, only the statement that you intend to settle there. So far, I have not heard of anyone who had problems even though they left their PNP province soon after landing. Until recently, people were in some cases even landing in other provinces and never even going to their PNP province and not having problems. It is only recently that the border services have been cracking down on this and there have been reports of people trying to land who have had their PR visas cancelled or been given their PR with a report sent to their PNP province to check up on them.

Nobody can tell what will happen in the future but it is possible that the PNP's or border services will at some point decide to go after people who got their PR through PNP or Quebec and make them explain what they have done to settle in that province and if the answer is "nothing", they may be asked if they lied during their PR application and landing where they said they were intending to settle there. Having lied on your PR application can cause the loss of PR.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Let me explain why Quebec loves people who claim to want to settle their But is ok with them living in BC or Ontario etc.When A person claims to want to move to the Quebec nation,the Federal Goverment transfers the settlement funds for that family to La Belle Province,But if the person moves to say BC,BC pays the costs of servicing the family While Quebec keeps the settlement funding.Thats why We love them so much in Western Canada.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
But on the other hand Quebec denies its services to somebody nominated by another province who moves to Quebec :( As a Western Canadian I dont think thats fair

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you mean that selection certificate that they ask for sometimes, I have heard that it is a limited amount of services you get out of that, mostly French classes and from what I have heard, you can also apply for a selection certificate as a PR from another province and get it after the fact.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Ok Leon Thanks for clarification,I just have this personal viewpoint that Canada should have a referendum not limited to Quebec only,that We feel the best way for the Quebecois can protect their culture is by giving them their own country,that way We (the rest of Canada) save 12 Billion dollars a year and the Quebecois culture is protected in Quebec.The referendum question would be asking the whole of Canada if We politely asked Quebec to leave,Would they agree.Just my personal opinion

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
Hi Leon, we are under Saskatchewan PNP and have already landed last Feb. 4. My question is what if the company my husband is working for, the one that gave the job offer so we could have nomination, transfers him to another province like Alberta. Would that be a violation of the PNP declaration to settle in the province that nominated us?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BCguy said:
Ok Leon Thanks for clarification,I just have this personal viewpoint that Canada should have a referendum not limited to Quebec only,that We feel the best way for the Quebecois can protect their culture is by giving them their own country,that way We (the rest of Canada) save 12 Billion dollars a year and the Quebecois culture is protected in Quebec.The referendum question would be asking the whole of Canada if We politely asked Quebec to leave,Would they agree.Just my personal opinion
Hehe, I think they want to leave AND keep the 12 billion $ a year :) They keep having votes on it. At some point, they may decide to leave. Then lets see how they do on their own.

rubyalabar said:
Hi Leon, we are under Saskatchewan PNP and have already landed last Feb. 4. My question is what if the company my husband is working for, the one that gave the job offer so we could have nomination, transfers him to another province like Alberta. Would that be a violation of the PNP declaration to settle in the province that nominated us?
No, it would not be a violation because you landed in that province and fully intended to settle there. When you have a secure job and they want to move you, there is nothing much you can do. In this day and age, most people will move to keep a good job.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon, I also read those cases of where landing was denied at the POE for PNP applicants because CBSA didn't believe they intended to settle in the province that nominated them. Have you heard of or read any cases where PR was revoked after landing? Has PMM?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have not heard of any cases of PR revoked after landing but that doesn't mean that it hasn't happen or wont happen in the future. It is better to be careful.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
I have not heard of any cases of PR revoked after landing but that doesn't mean that it hasn't happen or wont happen in the future. It is better to be careful.
Oh I agree 100%. I'm just wondering if and when CIC/CBSA is going to take it further and if there has been any action. We will see.

Anjali_Kool

Jun 16, 2011
Hi Guys,
Have a question about whether I can accept a job based in another province, when I am nominated by Alberta? The catch is that my job offer says that the job is based in Toronto, but my current assignment is in Edmonton. Is that going to be a problem?
Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Anjali

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anjali_Kool said:
Hi Guys,
Have a question about whether I can accept a job based in another province, when I am nominated by Alberta? The catch is that my job offer says that the job is based in Toronto, but my current assignment is in Edmonton. Is that going to be a problem?
Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Anjali
Judging from your other posts, it seems that your husband is on a work permit and getting nominated by AINP and you are on an open work permit as the spouse. If this is true, as far as I know, you can work anywhere with an open work permit unless your permit says something else, but your husband must stay in Alberta and work for the employer who is nominating him. If AINP hears that you have re-located to Toronto, it is possible that they will ask your husband if it is your intention to live in Toronto in the future. While you are waiting for your PR processing and as you land as PR, it must be your intention to live in Alberta if you are applying through AINP.