+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alberta PNP

Nov 4, 2008
Hi

I am a software engineer / programmer (NOC - 2173 / 2174 would be best applicable, may be 2171 but not an exact match). I am on H1 B visa working in US. I am not sure if the new list of 38 occupations will be applicable to me, therefore I am interested in looking for other alternatives:

1. Will I qualify for Alberta PNP considering my job profile? Should I apply for this.

2. I have applied for Federal Skilled worker class. But that was after Feb 2008. Not sure if this will work out in my case.

3. Can I apply for Alberta PNP while my Federal Skilled worker application is pending.

4. In Alberta PNP program, do I need to move to Canada as soon as i get Nomination Certificate from Alberta? Or do I need to apply for Federal PR and then wait until that comes? When do i need to move to Canada during the whole process. Can i complete the whole process being in USA and without going to Canada. Once i get my PR after that is it same as Federal Skilled worker, that I can go to Canada any time during next 1 year to keep my PR active. Please advice. My concern is I have applied for USA GC and want to keep my USA GC process going on, at the same time I want to keep Canada PR as backup plan.

5. Is there any other provincial program (PNP) that i can apply for without moving to Canada. Just filling out the application form from USA and wait until my PR comes through.

Thanks for help !!

Cheers
MNKA

stlguy

Star Member
Oct 21, 2008
I am pretty much in the same situation.. I did apply under 2171 as it was the closest in Alberta's list.

You can have FSW and PNP going on at the same time, but when you reach the CIC stage (the 3rd and the last stage) of PNP, you need to withdraw your FSW to get your PNP completed.

There is a separate thread on Alberta PNP.. You can find more info there.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can get your PR visa, come to Canada, "land", stay for a month to 6 weeks to get your PR card or give an address of friends or relatives in Canada to get it mailed to, go back to the US and live there. However, you can not keep your Canadian PR active just by coming to Canada once a year. The residency requirements to keep a Canadian PR is living in Canada for at least 730 days in any 5 year period or being outside Canada for no more than 1095 days in any 5 year period however you wish to count it. When you reach the point of having been outside Canada for a total of 1095 days in your first 5 years of becoming PR, you lose your PR status. It might still act as a GC backup plan because 1095 days is 3 years and you should have your GC or know if you get it in 3 years time. If you don't have it by then, you would still have the option to move to Canada.

Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for your replies !!

Leon,

1. Once I get my PR Visa and land in Canada, how much time I need to wait before I apply for PR card. Is there a specific time limit or can I apply the very next day when I land and then it takes 6 weeks to come. Please clarify.

2. Also after applying for PR card is there a rule that says that I should stay for minimum of 1 month to 6 weeks in Canada and then I can leave for USA. What happens if I apply for PR card and come back to USA within 2 weeks (or even earlier) instead of 1 month, please let me know I am not very clear. I can give my friends address for receiving the PR card. Does the address have to be Alberta address.

3. When does the 5 year period start? The day i receive my PNP Nomination or the day I apply for my PR card (after landing in Canada) or the day I get my PR card. Also is PR Visa same as PNP Nomination.

PLEASE NOTE: I will be applying through the H1 B PNP program offered by Alberta.

Thanks a lot. Will highly appreciate if you could please help me with the above mentioned queries.

Cheers
MNKA

Nov 4, 2008
stlguy said:
I am pretty much in the same situation.. I did apply under 2171 as it was the closest in Alberta's list.

You can have FSW and PNP going on at the same time, but when you reach the CIC stage (the 3rd and the last stage) of PNP, you need to withdraw your FSW to get your PNP completed.

Hello Stlguy,

I am filling up the initial pre-application form. Could you please tell me what I should fill for -

Q 16. What is your current job title?
My title is programmer analyst. However, programmer analyst (2174) is not a high pressure list of occupations for Alberta. The title - "Information Systems Analysts and Consultants" - 2171 is on high pressure list. I want to select 2171 - some of my job duties (as per the experience letter from my current employer) will match 2171. However its not a close match. 2174 will be a close match for me. Could you please suggest which title should I use. Note that my experience letter from my currently employer shows programmer analyst. I guess i need to go with that.

Q 18. Is your occupation on the Regional Occupations Under Pressure list for Alberta? (Y or N)
If I put Programmer Analyst - 2174 as my answer for Q 16, I guess I will have to select "N". But if i put "Information Systems Analysts and Consultants" - 2171 as my answer for Q 16 in that case i can put "Y" as answer. Please suggest what should be the answer for this question - Y or N.

In case my occupation is not in Pressure List will I have to get a job offer first? When will I have to do that? Please advice.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers
MNKA

stlguy

Star Member
Oct 21, 2008
Even in my case my title did not match the title given for 2171. But the roles and responsibilities for 2171 were fairly similar to mine (Even though it was not the best fit, that was the closest fit among the codes that were in the high pressure list). That is why i chose 2171 and in another document i explained how my job title fits with 2171.

Yes i did put Yes for the question on if my job title is on the restricted list.

Nov 4, 2008
Leon said:
You can get your PR visa, come to Canada, "land", stay for a month to 6 weeks to get your PR card or give an address of friends or relatives in Canada to get it mailed to, go back to the US and live there. However, you can not keep your Canadian PR active just by coming to Canada once a year. The residency requirements to keep a Canadian PR is living in Canada for at least 730 days in any 5 year period or being outside Canada for no more than 1095 days in any 5 year period however you wish to count it. When you reach the point of having been outside Canada for a total of 1095 days in your first 5 years of becoming PR, you lose your PR status. It might still act as a GC backup plan because 1095 days is 3 years and you should have your GC or know if you get it in 3 years time. If you don't have it by then, you would still have the option to move to Canada.

Leon,

Thanks for your reply. I have few more followup questions:

1. Once I get my PR Visa and land in Canada, how much time I need to wait before I apply for PR card. Is there a specific time limit or can I apply the very next day when I land and then it takes 6 weeks to come. Please clarify.

2. Also after applying for PR card is there a rule that says that I should stay for minimum of 1 month to 6 weeks in Canada and then I can leave for USA. What happens if I apply for PR card and come back to USA within 2 weeks (or even earlier) instead of 1 month, please let me know I am not very clear. I can give my friends address for receiving the PR card. Does the address have to be Alberta address.

3. When does the 5 year period start? The day i receive my PNP Nomination or the day I apply for my PR card (after landing in Canada) or the day I get my PR card. Also is PR Visa same as PNP Nomination.

PLEASE NOTE: I will be applying through the H1 B PNP program offered by Alberta.

Thanks a lot. Will highly appreciate if you could please help me with the above mentioned queries.

Cheers
MNKA

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Your "landing" paperwork includes the application for the PR card.

2. There is no minimum time you have to stay. You can tell them that you have to go back to the US to take care of business and would like them to mail your PR card to your friend so he can fed ex it to you when it arrives and you can use when you go back. If they accept that it should be fine. Otherwise they may have other ideas of how you should get your PR card. The reason you need the card is because after you become PR, you should have your card when you enter Canada.

3. The 5 year period starts the day you "land". Your PNP nomination is your ticket to getting your PR application fast forwarded with Canada immigration as a provincial nominee. Your PR visa is saying that you have been approved and can "land" in Canada as a PR.

Nov 4, 2008
Leon said:
1. Your "landing" paperwork includes the application for the PR card.

2. There is no minimum time you have to stay. You can tell them that you have to go back to the US to take care of business and would like them to mail your PR card to your friend so he can fed ex it to you when it arrives and you can use when you go back. If they accept that it should be fine. Otherwise they may have other ideas of how you should get your PR card. The reason you need the card is because after you become PR, you should have your card when you enter Canada.

3. The 5 year period starts the day you "land". Your PNP nomination is your ticket to getting your PR application fast forwarded with Canada immigration as a provincial nominee. Your PR visa is saying that you have been approved and can "land" in Canada as a PR.
Leon, Thanks a lot for the reply !!

hitu_1979

Nov 5, 2008
can u give me pre-assessment form link plssss

MeraNumKabAyga said:
stlguy said:

Hello Stlguy,

I am filling up the initial pre-application form. Could you please tell me what I should fill for -

My title is programmer analyst. However, programmer analyst (2174) is not a high pressure list of occupations for Alberta. The title - "Information Systems Analysts and Consultants" - 2171 is on high pressure list. I want to select 2171 - some of my job duties (as per the experience letter from my current employer) will match 2171. However its not a close match. 2174 will be a close match for me. Could you please suggest which title should I use. Note that my experience letter from my currently employer shows programmer analyst. I guess i need to go with that.

Q 18. Is your occupation on the Regional Occupations Under Pressure list for Alberta? (Y or N)
If I put Programmer Analyst - 2174 as my answer for Q 16, I guess I will have to select "N". But if i put "Information Systems Analysts and Consultants" - 2171 as my answer for Q 16 in that case i can put "Y" as answer. Please suggest what should be the answer for this question - Y or N.

In case my occupation is not in Pressure List will I have to get a job offer first? When will I have to do that? Please advice.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers
MNKA

Nov 4, 2008
Hi Hitu,

Following is link for Alberta H1 B program. This page has form for preassessment.

MKKA

hitu_1979 said:

MeraNumKabAyga said:
stlguy said:

Hello Stlguy,

Thanks a lot.

Cheers
MNKA

gr8tpretender

Aug 2, 2008
hitu_1979 said:
here is your wish https://www.canadavisa.com/assess/canada-immigration-assessment-form.htm and this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp

goodluck!!!

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
If you are asking for the pre-assessment link for Alberta AINP then the link is this one

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/campaigns/h1b.html