+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Age difference!

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Love_Young said:
angelbrat I hope that isn't bad form us since both me (applicant) and hubby (sponsor) are 20 years old. He will turn 21 on Oct 7 though.

I hope so too.....but sometimes Immigration do look closer at younger applicants, I suppose a bit like parents do, when younger people want to get married.

But your application will be fine, if the marriage is true and genuine you have nothing to fear. I hope it all goes through smoothly and you have a wonderful future together.

fallenstar831

Nov 8, 2009
St. Catharines, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2009
File Transfer...
22-12-2009
Med's Done....
12-11-2009
Passport Req..
02-05-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-22-2010
LANDED..........
03-25-2010
My husband was 21 and myself 29 at the time of our applicaiton - there is 8 years difference between us and our app was approved on the quickest timeline for our office.

We did not mention the age difference in our application at all, however in our personal letters to the IO that we include as additional proof we both addressed the issue. We wrote about the age being irrelivant to us and that we just jive together.

We had no issues at all... just make sure the rest of your info is solid. I think the IO's see age differences all the time, and some people still do get married in their early 20's for good.

Cheers and good luck!

BostonGirl

Star Member
May 9, 2010
Boston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can anyone tell me why on earth it is only perceived a problem when the woman is the older spouse?
I mean, what is the reasoning behind this?
Because it is common where I live and I have seen it in Canada as well.

sitandwait

Jul 4, 2010
I believe it's because older women are perceived as more vulnerable, desperate, naive and easily fooled by a younger man. Therefore possibly thought of by immigration as an "easy target" for a visa. Especially a younger man coming from a poor country.
It infuriates me because I am in this situation. I am not desperate, naive or easily fooled.

BostonGirl

Star Member
May 9, 2010
Boston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ahh, I see. How completely rediculous!
So, if the person applying for PR is the "Older Woman" what then?

lonelycanadianwifey

Jan 25, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston,Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2008
Doc's Request.
19-03-2009
AOR Received.
26-02-2009
File Transfer...
01-07-09
Med's Request
11-11-2009
Med's Done....
16-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-02-10
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-10
LANDED..........
02-28-10
People....shucks!!

Age difference is NOT a issue in most regards (they are of course red flags that stick out) if at all the PR applications have alot of crippling issues outside the age factor...Its not just one issues its the whole BIG PICTURE ....

I would assure you all that in order for a application to have issues with AGE there would be much more to accompany it .....country (high fraud rate) lack of evidence ( all kinds of things ) as long as you are 18 years of age and older and have legitimate evidence supporting an ongoing bonified relationship with communication to phone and travelling to see one another (if seperated ) then there shouldnt be any reason for them to discriminate against anyone...I am sure in some cases wrongful denials have happened (but there is always an appeal!!!

I am in a relationship that has a age difference of 7 years ...Wooooop di doooo....lol.....I never even thought of that issue on my PR application ...And if they did find it to be a problem they could have hauled our bums in for a interview and they would have seen me meant buisness when we said what we said ...I DO!! dont worry people ...

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
BostonGirl said:
Can anyone tell me why on earth it is only perceived a problem when the woman is the older spouse?

Because society is stupid. A bit like all women should be a size 0 with super dooper boobs.......(rolls eyes at this point)

Age is totally immaterial, in my opinion but I am not an IO and some of them do seem to be very judgmental.

What I was trying to point out in my original post, is that not everyone looks at the bigger picture and some of us have to work harder at proving our relationships than others.

And no, there is no reasoning behind it at all....in my opinion.

BostonGirl

Star Member
May 9, 2010
Boston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you guys! I needed to hear this.
The whole prosses of trying to convince a total stranger that your marriage is genuine is excruciating.
Especially when you have to do it in an application.

B

boyee6576

Just my two canadian pennies :D

I think its perceived as a problem to some because of how they perceive older women to begin with. Some seem to think that you lose your looks and you get fat, and your fertility is over. So they think. Age (supposedly) is associated with youth, beauty and sex appeal and after a certain age its gone. SO NOT TRUE!!

My husband is 34 and I am 45. He is Indian and I am Canadian. Even though there are some cultural differences, our up bringing is the same including our strict christian up bringing. I dont look any older than he does, we like the same things and have the same goals and dreams. Some in our society seem to think that we more mature ladies are fools and fall for anything thats cute and gives us "lonely girls that cant get a date in our own country or with our own race" and so fall for any sweet line. After all when we get this age our looks are gone and our bodies have gone to hell in a handbag, so some seem to think LOL. I would like to say that some might be stupid enough to not know the difference between love or being used, but not all of us are. For me, at 45, I am smarter now than ever when it comes to relationships. I know what I want and I know what I DONT want and I wont settle for anything that I dont want. I know who I am. Society seems to think that after a certain age you dont have anything to offer a partener that is younger than you.

Thats my thoughts :) Any nasty messages can be left after the peep.. peeeeeep!!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Vish said:
I have a query. I am going to marry my long time girlfriend and fiancée now on Nov 22. We have about 12 yrs age difference (I am older) but both families know about our relationship since beginning. We have all proofs such as pix since first meeting,family pix, skype/yahoo call logs, cards, western union receipts, emails logs and we shall have our wedding/honeymoon pix, travel documents even tickets of people who attended the wedding. Do you think this is enough to prove our relationship genuine? Should we be ready for an interview? If there will be an interview, would that be just for her or both of us since I reside in Canada. Please help us. We are very worried!
A relationship where the man is older than the woman by 12 years will not be seen as a problem, as long as you have a lot of proof that your relationship is genuine, as you seem to.
But - if it was an arranged marriage, the visa officer may question why your wife's family agreed to a marriage with a man that much older. If you were divorced and your wife was never married before, even worse. If yours is an arranged marriage, show proof of why your wife's family thought you were a good match in spite of the age difference (anything other than your Canadian connection, of course.)

Vish

Sep 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-01-2011
File Transfer...
01-02-2011
Med's Done....
13-12-2010
Passport Req..
23-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made on Apr 9, 2011
Dear all,
Thanks for your help and comments on my post. It's really helpful and my confidence level is definitely 100 times more than yesterday.

Canadianwoman - This is a love marriage and both families know our relationship since beginning. I met my fiancée and her family every year in last four years and I have pix with her family in these years and they know that I am a hard working professional with a caring heart. Do you think IO would still question our relationship? Thanks, Regards

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If it's a love match, with the proof you have, the application should be fine.

Vish

Sep 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-01-2011
File Transfer...
01-02-2011
Med's Done....
13-12-2010
Passport Req..
23-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made on Apr 9, 2011
Thanks Canadianwoman! Appreciate your help and support,
Best regards,
Vish

lynw

Jul 1, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-07-2010
Med's Done....
17-05-2010
Passport Req..
25-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-09-2010
LANDED..........
23-09-2010
boyee6576 said:

Thats my thoughts :) Any nasty messages can be left after the peep.. peeeeeep!!!

Well said! I think you'll find that the people with those prejudices are the ones who are not mature enough (no matter what their biological age) to know any better.

embopj

Aug 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
November 2010 Approve
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010
LANDED..........
February 2011 - snow storm
stay cool guys I believed their is no age discrimination, sexual discrimination.. or what so ever Canada is a Democratic country so I dont thinking it will be a big problem FYI me and my partner has more than 30 years gap, im only 31 and my partner is 65. wow... but the most important is we can proved that our relationship is true love :p i love u baby hehehhe muah