+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

after sponsor application has been approved, can one leave Canada?

karinosa

Oct 24, 2009
My brother is going to be doing an sponsorship for his wife (to be at Xmas) but would like to know if after his sponsorship application gets approved, would he be able to leave Canada and go to Guatemala and be with her for a few months to make the wait of the PR application wait shorter, he doesn't want to be without her that long and for what we've been told it could take up to 2 years in the Guatemala Visa office.

Thanks,

ange

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
If he's applying outland, which I'm assuming he's doing if he's going to her in Guatamala, he can certainly leave! I don't live in Canada...

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I presume it is outland application? Is he a citizen or PR?

If a citizen he can do as he wishes.

If a PR he can only sponsor from within Canada and will presumably be able to take vacations but must maintain permanent residence and ties to Canada such as job, house/lease etc.

karinosa

Oct 24, 2009
yes he is Canadian Citizen, for how long can he leave Canada and still be ok for his application to not be affected? can a "vacation" be 6 months if he has a leave of absence in his job?

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He can leave for as long as he wants, even before the sponsorship is approved. He could even move to Guatemala now and stay there until her PR is approved since he is a citizen. Only citizens are allowed to be outside of the country and sponsor their spouse. But if he does file from Guatemala, he would have to show intent to return to Canada once her PR is approved. Types of proof of intent to re-settle in Canada could be a property lease or a mortgage, an employment offer, proof of acceptance at a Canadian educational institution, or declarations of support from family members in Canada who agree to provide housing or financial support until they are settled.

karinosa

Oct 24, 2009
hmmm that one would be difficult, he does have a stable job, but no properties (divorced...long story), no other person but him to do the sponsorship, he might just have to wait here and see how long it will take. Thanks again for all the advice.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

Don't be disheartened because he may not have property etc. I have been living with a Canadian in UK for 3 years or so who has been out of Canada for 6+ years. No property or job etc to return to but we obtained letters from family stating we would be living with them plus sent evidence of savings in a Canadian and UK bank and plans of what we would hope to be doing.