+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After PR to Canadian citizenship

iftikhar0022

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
I have one question

Whether the main applicant can go and live in other countries with her dependents after the PR will not affect her Canadian citizenship application.
Or
Is it necessary to spend three years in Canada after PR to get Canadian citizenship?

Moavia

Feb 26, 2024
No issue Iftikhar bhai

bahar hum time westy shy akhpal family sara

aw 3 years inside Canada sa time hum poora shwy then you are eligible for CC

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have one question

Whether the main applicant can go and live in other countries with her dependents after the PR will not affect her Canadian citizenship application.
Or
Is it necessary to spend three years in Canada after PR to get Canadian citizenship?
You must physically live in Canada for at least 2 years after getting PR to qualify for citizenship. The length of time may be more depending on how much pre PR credit you can count. Physically living in Canada for at least 2 years is mandatory qualify for citizenship.

ALso keep in mind that there is a separate residency requirement to keep PR status.

Reactions: ref19to22

iftikhar0022

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
You must physically live in Canada for at least 2 years after getting PR to qualify for citizenship. The length of time may be more depending on how much pre PR credit you can count. Physically living in Canada for at least 2 years is mandatory qualify for citizenship.

ALso keep in mind that there is a separate residency requirement to keep PR status.
1: Will the calculation of days be counted after the PR or will it be counted at the time when the refugee was applied?

2: Will she have to stay in Canada for two consecutive years?

3: how will this affect if she visits a third country to meet her dependent?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1: Will the calculation of days be counted after the PR or will it be counted at the time when the refugee was applied?

1. Neither. I would recommend you research the residency obligation for citizenship. The residency requirement is three years of physical presence in Canada within the last five years. Two of those years must be after PR. For pre PR time, you can start counting from the day you become a protected person but you only get a half day credit for each day spent in Canada, to a maximum credit of one year.

2. No, it does not have to be consecutive.

3. This will be counted as time spent outside of Canada and she will need to wait longer to qualify for citizenship.

iftikhar0022

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
1. Neither. I would recommend you research the residency obligation for citizenship. The residency requirement is three years of physical presence in Canada within the last five years. Two of those years must be after PR. For pre PR time, you can start counting from the day you become a protected person but you only get a half day credit for each day spent in Canada, to a maximum credit of one year.

2. No, it does not have to be consecutive.

3. This will be counted as time spent outside of Canada and she will need to wait longer to qualify for citizenship.
Thanks brother for useful information

betterlife999

Star Member
Sep 25, 2021

Hello Iftikhar,

use this official citizenship days calculator.

put all information here

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

you can attach this result in citizenship application

#1 CORP date to Citizenship application date - minimum 2 years ( 365 + 365 DAYS )
so u can file application after 2 years of COPR date.

#2 Protected person date ( NOD notice of decision date ) to COPR - number of days divided by 2 ( half the days - maximum of 1 years )
so that mean whatever days you spend in Canada after NOD date to COPR date will be counted half - max 365 days credit

#3 after PR if u visit any country on your RTD with Canadian JOB like trucking to USA or any official visits outside Canada on duty can be counted towards
your Canadian citizenship 1095 days

I hope this will help you to calculate days

Stay Safe

Last edited:
Reactions: iftikhar0022

iftikhar0022

Star Member
Nov 14, 2018
Hello Iftikhar,

put all information here

#1 CORP date to Citizenship application date - minimum 2 years ( 365 + 365 DAYS )

#2 Protected person date ( NOD notice of decision date ) to COPR - number of days divided by 2 ( half the days - maximum of 1 years )
so that mean whatever days you spend in Canada after NOD date to COPR date will be counted half - max 365 days credit

#3 after PR if u visit any country on your RTD with Canadian JOB like trucking to USA or any official visits outside Canada on duty can be counted towards

Stay Safe
Thanks brother for useful information

Vips1410

Star Member
Mar 8, 2021
Hello Iftikhar,

put all information here

Stay Safe

Vips1410

Star Member
Mar 8, 2021
Hello I applied my asylum 2019 September before my hearing I got married with my gf and got my pr through family spouse sponsorship after that I withdrawn my asylum case I got my pr in jan 2022 so when I will be eligible for citizenship any idea thanks in advance I stayed on asylum between 2019 Sep till 2021 jan will that time will be count or no because I never become protected person I got normal pr through my gf who is my wife now thanks .