+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After passport submission, how long does it take to get the Visa!

punjabi_girl

Jan 8, 2009
vd said:
Hi all,

I am new to this site. My husband has applied for a PR and we submitted the application in Oct 2008.
We received a letter that the documents have been moved to New Delhi and that the processing of my application has begun in Nov 2008 at New Delhi. However, I was asked to submit a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from Malaysia since I stayed in Malaysia for 6 months 15 days in the year 2005.
The Malaysian police authorities or the Consular divsion of foreign affairs do not issue any letter if the stay was for less than one year. I wrote an e-mail to an official at the consular division Malaysia and she replied back saying that they do not have any authority to issue a refusal letter. I submitted the print out of the email conversation tht I received. Also, I was asked to submit my passports on Dec 13th, 2008.
Though it hasnt been a month yet, I worried about the PCC issue. I think I saw somewhere that they will waive off the PCC requirement if I can clearly demonstrate the difficulty in getting one. Also, I got tht email from an official who actually issues the PCC in Malaysia. So, I am guessing that there will be a waiver and I will be issued the visa soon, though I do not know how long they will take to issue the visa. By Jan 17th 2009 it will be a month since I would have sent my passports to New Delhi.

Any thoughts on the PCC and has anyone experienced such a situation..and has any got any waiver before?
A written explanation explaining the problem to get a PCC will do..still just checking for more resources....

Would appreciate any kind of help on this matter....

Thanks,
VD.

Hi

I have read a case on another forum where a person had to submit PCC from Singapore but he had some issues with that...I don't remember exactly about the issues. But when he got PPR, ND waived the PCC requirement and he wasn't asked for the PCC from Singapore. So stay positive, and hope for the good results. Well thats just my two cents. There are other senior members who can advice you better. All the best :)

RPM

Star Member
Oct 2, 2008
punjabi_girl said:
Hi everyone

Can anyone advice as to what formalities has to be done for the accompanying goods, jewellery etc? How many set of pictures, lists has to be made? Is there any limit for the jewellery? I have applied under family class(spouse) from ND.
When I was coming to Canada, I had about $18,000 worth of gold jewellery in my bags. No one asked me anything about it..not even at the customs. I was asked to give a detaied list for the non-accompanying goods though.

punjabi_girl

Jan 8, 2009
Hi RPM

Thanks for the reply. I am new here but am a member of other forum since long. What I have read there is that every immigrant has to submit detailed list of accompanying and non accompanying goods and has to get the jewellery appraised along with pictures of every single piece of jewellery. I couldn't find any one who has gone through all this to clarify my doubts.

Btw when did you land in Canada?

RPM

Star Member
Oct 2, 2008
Hi Punjabi girl,

I landed in late July2008. Actually I haven't taken any pictures or got my jewellery appraised. I just got the list of what I was carrying in my bags and approximate values (just in case), but have got nothing appraised. They didnt even ask any details about accompanying baggage. Maybe there is a new rule in past 6 months? I really dont think its necessary to go the extent of getting the jewellery appraised (unless ofcourse you have a LOT of jewellery). But how much is lot, I dont know.

punjabi_girl

Jan 8, 2009
RPM said:
Hi Punjabi girl,

I landed in late July2008. Actually I haven't taken any pictures or got my jewellery appraised. I just got the list of what I was carrying in my bags and approximate values (just in case), but have got nothing appraised. They didnt even ask any details about accompanying baggage. Maybe there is a new rule in past 6 months? I really dont think its necessary to go the extent of getting the jewellery appraised (unless ofcourse you have a LOT of jewellery). But how much is lot, I dont know.
Thank you RPM.
One more doubt- I know its weird to ask but I don't wana take any chances. Do we have to list every single thing separately? Or we can list similar things together? Like 5 sarees, 4 shoes? And do we have to list even cosmetics?? And can we list everything in an excel sheet or have to list everything on a particular form?

RPM

Star Member
Oct 2, 2008
Actually I took and A4 sheet and mentioned,

cloths-everything put together...I didn't mention seperatly like sarees, skirts etc.
shoes-5 pairs etc
jewellery-approximate value

you dont have to go in such small details like cosmetics, shampo's etc. At least I didnt.

Like I said, they didnt even ask me what I am carrying along with me. They were more interested in what I have shipped. But it depends on case to case basis also...

Really, dont stress too much. A good idea would be to check with the airline you are flying about what items you can carry on board. If the customs in Canada demand and trouble you that you didnt list items properly, you always have the option to open the bags (which I dont think they would).

punjabi_girl

Jan 8, 2009
RPM said:
Actually I took and A4 sheet and mentioned,

cloths-everything put together...I didn't mention seperatly like sarees, skirts etc.
shoes-5 pairs etc
jewellery-approximate value

you dont have to go in such small details like cosmetics, shampo's etc. At least I didnt.

Like I said, they didnt even ask me what I am carrying along with me. They were more interested in what I have shipped. But it depends on case to case basis also...

Really, dont stress too much. A good idea would be to check with the airline you are flying about what items you can carry on board. If the customs in Canada demand and trouble you that you didnt list items properly, you always have the option to open the bags (which I dont think they would).

Thank you RPM... that's such a relief ! Thank you for your inputs..really appreciate :)

V

vd

punjabi_girl said:
vd said:
Hi all,

I am new to this site. My husband has applied for a PR and we submitted the application in Oct 2008.
We received a letter that the documents have been moved to New Delhi and that the processing of my application has begun in Nov 2008 at New Delhi. However, I was asked to submit a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from Malaysia since I stayed in Malaysia for 6 months 15 days in the year 2005.
The Malaysian police authorities or the Consular divsion of foreign affairs do not issue any letter if the stay was for less than one year. I wrote an e-mail to an official at the consular division Malaysia and she replied back saying that they do not have any authority to issue a refusal letter. I submitted the print out of the email conversation tht I received. Also, I was asked to submit my passports on Dec 13th, 2008.
Though it hasnt been a month yet, I worried about the PCC issue. I think I saw somewhere that they will waive off the PCC requirement if I can clearly demonstrate the difficulty in getting one. Also, I got tht email from an official who actually issues the PCC in Malaysia. So, I am guessing that there will be a waiver and I will be issued the visa soon, though I do not know how long they will take to issue the visa. By Jan 17th 2009 it will be a month since I would have sent my passports to New Delhi.

Any thoughts on the PCC and has anyone experienced such a situation..and has any got any waiver before?
A written explanation explaining the problem to get a PCC will do..still just checking for more resources....

Thanks,
VD.

Hi

I have read a case on another forum where a person had to submit PCC from Singapore but he had some issues with that...I don't remember exactly about the issues. But when he got PPR, ND waived the PCC requirement and he wasn't asked for the PCC from Singapore. So stay positive, and hope for the good results. Well thats just my two cents. There are other senior members who can advice you better. All the best :)

Hi,

Thank you so much for such a relieving news :). I guessed as much...bcos my visa processing happened very quickly...everything went through fast till Dec 2008 and then there was this vacation period. PCC is the only document which they need and I have provided a written statement for it. Even on the CIC website it is mentioned that we need to provide a written statement if we are unable to provide one. I think that should suffice.
My uncle in Canada also told me the same thing. He said they will waive it off. Keeping my fingers crossed now...
Hoping to hear the good news soon. I think they will take another 2-3 weeks to send me a letter..not sure though.

After I send the passports..will I get any approval letter? or will they send the passports with the visa?

Thanks,
VD.

punjabi_girl

Jan 8, 2009
After I send the passports..will I get any approval letter? or will they send the passports with the visa?

Thanks,
VD.

No, you won't get an approval letter. If there's no problem with the clearance, they'll send the visa via registered mail.

Stop worrying now and start waiting for ur daak babu :)

M

med

thats right after the passport submission then a high probability that the visa is on the way

TinaP

Star Member
Dec 21, 2008
Hi Punjabi girl,
Please don't mention anything that "You have purchased this thing or that thing to carry to Canada".
All your personal stuff, you can bring in and you don't have to mention that as far as I know.
When I came to Canada for first time, at that time also I didn't write anything except 10,000$ which I had to bring compulsory.
I visited India recenly, have brought too many cloths, 10 pairs of shoes, quite a bit gold, but didn't declare anything as it was my personal stuff.
one of my friend's neighbour went to India recently and purchased diamond jewellary and declared it, he had to pay around 200$ as customs.
Be confident, don't worry. Upon asked, just tell them "this is my personal used stuff, which I was using it in India".
About spices, you can bring that, but don't put that in hand luggage. Don't keep any food item (even chocolate) in the purse or hand-bag (of 7 or 8 Kg), also not water or any liquied or jel type products.

RPM

Star Member
Oct 2, 2008
TinaP said:
Hi Punjabi girl,
Please don't mention anything that "You have purchased this thing or that thing to carry to Canada".
All your personal stuff, you can bring in and you don't have to mention that as far as I know.
When I came to Canada for first time, at that time also I didn't write anything except 10,000$ which I had to bring compulsory.
I visited India recenly, have brought too many cloths, 10 pairs of shoes, quite a bit gold, but didn't declare anything as it was my personal stuff.
one of my friend's neighbour went to India recently and purchased diamond jewellary and declared it, he had to pay around 200$ as customs.
Be confident, don't worry. Upon asked, just tell them "this is my personal used stuff, which I was using it in India".
About spices, you can bring that, but don't put that in hand luggage. Don't keep any food item (even chocolate) in the purse or hand-bag (of 7 or 8 Kg), also not water or any liquied or jel type products.
You know, when ever I see your name updated on this thread, I open it eagerly hoping you guys got the visa :)

Rachel

Dec 18, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI(Dependent child )
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-5-2010
AOR Received.
28-6-2010(Missisauga)
File Transfer...
22-6-2010
Med's Done....
30-3-2010
Passport Req..
30-7-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-8-2010 ( GOT IT ON 27-8-2010)
hello vd!!...i really surprised to hear that u r goin to get visa within a shory period....just 3 months..wow!! where did u apply?? i am 4m india...ive applied at buffalo(sponserd by husband)...

TinaP

Star Member
Dec 21, 2008
you know, when ever I see your name updated on this thread, I open it eagerly hoping you guys got the visa

Hi RPM, so kind of you! Two people have got their passport back today and I hope to get that by tomorrow or monday!
I hope that I should get it soon! And I will, as I have blessings of people like you with me.
Have a nice day,

V

vd

vd said:
Hi all,

Thanks,
VD.

Hi punjabi girl and others,

Thank you for the replies and moral boosters..Yes, I guess I should wait for the mail now. i am hoping tht it should come in a couple of weeks...hope they waive off the PCC requirement, bcos it's not in my hands and there is no possible way to get even an authorised letter...after applying for PR, I and my husband have become experts in gathering all the required info :)
Guess we can open a help center soon...we have done so much research and oooffffff finally relieved when we found out that they will waive it off..anyway ..this wait period is damn frustrating....
I am glad to see the positiveness u bring abt the whole thing...and I am sure I am going to get it...soooooon...

vd.