+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After getting CSQ as a dependent of my partner (who is the Principal Applicant), can I start working immediately?

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
Is there any way I, as a dependent in a CSQ application, start working immediately after receiving CSQ, via, for example, bridge open work permit, or other stuff, considering that IRCC is processing work permits extremely slow?

Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Is there any way I, as a dependent in a CSQ application, start working immediately after receiving CSQ, via, for example, bridge open work permit, or other stuff, considering that IRCC is processing work permits extremely slow?

Thanks.
No. You need a work permit to work. Are you eligible for BOWP?

If you applied for permanent residence as a Quebec skilled worker
Who can apply
To be eligible for a BOWP, you must

• live in Canada and intend to live in Quebec
    • You can leave Canada while we process your application.
    • However, if you leave Canada after your work permit expires, you can’t work until your new application is approved.
  • hold a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ)
  • be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application
  • have passed a completeness check for permanent residence
  • either

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
No. You need a work permit to work. Are you eligible for BOWP?

If you applied for permanent residence as a Quebec skilled worker
Who can apply
To be eligible for a BOWP, you must

• live in Canada and intend to live in Quebec
    • You can leave Canada while we process your application.
    • However, if you leave Canada after your work permit expires, you can’t work until your new application is approved.
  • hold a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ)
  • be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application
  • have passed a completeness check for permanent residence
  • either
Thanks. So since I am the dependent (not principal applicant), my partner can apply for BOWP, but I cannot. Yet, when she applies for it, can I apply for the spouse open work permit at the same time, or I have to wait until she obtains the BOWP?

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Thanks. So since I am the dependent (not principal applicant), my partner can apply for BOWP, but I cannot. Yet, when she applies for it, can I apply for the spouse open work permit at the same time, or I have to wait until she obtains the BOWP?
This depends on the situation of main applicant. For example,

1. If main applicant has already applied for PR then main applicant can apply for BOWP and include you for open work permit using Family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province [R205(c)(ii) – C49]
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/public-policy-competitiveness-economy/c49.html

2. If main applicant has yet not applied for PR but already working in Canada with employer-specific WP, you can apply for normal spousal OWP

3. If main applicant is outside Quebec/Canada, then main applicant must apply International Mobility Program Plus and include you for spousal OWP
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/quebec-skilled-workers/international-mobility-program-plus-csq.html

4. If main applicant has spousal open work permit then he/she need to get an employer-specific WP using Specific Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) holders currently in Quebec [R205(a) – A73] and then you can apply OWP using
using Family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province [R205(c)(ii) – C49]
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/public-policy-competitiveness-economy/c49.html

Which situation you guys have from the above list?

Reactions: Naturgrl

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
This depends on the situation of main applicant. For example,

1. If main applicant has already applied for PR then main applicant can apply for BOWP and include you for open work permit using Family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province [R205(c)(ii) – C49]

2. If main applicant has yet not applied for PR but already working in Canada with employer-specific WP, you can apply for normal spousal OWP

3. If main applicant is outside Quebec/Canada, then main applicant must apply International Mobility Program Plus and include you for spousal OWP
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/quebec-skilled-workers/international-mobility-program-plus-csq.html

4. If main applicant has spousal open work permit then he/she need to get an employer-specific WP using Specific Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) holders currently in Quebec [R205(a) – A73] and then you can apply OWP using
using Family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province [R205(c)(ii) – C49]

Which situation you guys have from the above list?
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. We are considering future possibilities and could be in either 1 or 2. I understand 2: in this case I can only work after receiving spouse OWP. However, for 1, can I start working after submitting the application for PR (we will submit application for PR together)? BTW, we are both in Quebec now. Thanks

Reactions: powereng1982

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. We are considering future possibilities and could be in either 1 or 2. I understand 2: in this case I can only work after receiving spouse OWP. However, for 1, can I start working after submitting the application for PR (we will submit application for PR together)? BTW, we are both in Quebec now. Thanks
The main applicant can apply BOWP only after receiving AOR (it can be quick but sometimes takes 1-2 months to receive this letter).

What is your current status in Quebec. I understand that main applicant has a valid employer-specific WP and you have a valid open work permit. Or something else?

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
The main applicant can apply BOWP only after receiving AOR (it can be quick but sometimes takes 1-2 months to receive this letter).

What is your current status in Quebec. I understand that main applicant has a valid employer-specific WP and you have a valid open work permit. Or something else?
It's a bit complicated.

My partner has PGWP valid until Feb2024. I'm holding study permit valid until Aug-31,2023. I'm working full-time now due to the temporary policy on off-campus working.

However, I will probably be able to apply for my PGWP only after Aug 31,2023, and I will extend my study permit before that. Yet, I find that the temporary policy about off-campus work will not be applied to this extended study permit.

As a result, I will have to stop working, or work less than 20 hours/week after Aug 31, until I submit my PGWP application. I am looking for a way to keep working full-time during this period. I have submitted my spouse OWP in early May, but still in process. I hope I will get my spouse OWP before Aug 31, but it is hard to say given the current processing time of IRCC.

In the meantime, my partner will have the French interview next week. Hopefully, she will pass and we will get CSQ. So I am looking into this possibility , too. (though I am not sure how long it will take from finishing the interview and getting CSQ. I heard it is fast.)

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
It's a bit complicated.

My partner has PGWP valid until Feb2024. I'm holding study permit valid until Aug-31,2023. I'm working full-time now due to the temporary policy on off-campus working.

However, I will probably be able to apply for my PGWP only after Aug 31,2023, and I will extend my study permit before that. Yet, I find that the temporary policy about off-campus work will not be applied to this extended study permit.

As a result, I will have to stop working, or work less than 20 hours/week after Aug 31, until I submit my PGWP application. I am looking for a way to keep working full-time during this period. I have submitted my spouse OWP in early May, but still in process. I hope I will get my spouse OWP before Aug 31, but it is hard to say given the current processing time of IRCC.

In the meantime, my partner will have the French interview next week. Hopefully, she will pass and we will get CSQ. So I am looking into this possibility , too. (though I am not sure how long it will take from finishing the interview and getting CSQ. I heard it is fast.)
I think you should wait for CSQ first. And even with CSQ, applying for PR and then eventually for BOWP will take some time.

In given situation, its better to wait for your existing spousal OWP application (it takes 4-5 months), so hopefully you will have some news by the end of August or early September.

Without CSQ, the next option that you can consider would be to apply for PGWP and in any case, your spouse then can apply for spousal OWP using your PGWP later.

You guys have multiple options in future but at the moment, its better to wait for CSQ and your OWP application.

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
I think you should wait for CSQ first. And even with CSQ, applying for PR and then eventually for BOWP will take some time.

In given situation, its better to wait for your existing spousal OWP application (it takes 4-5 months), so hopefully you will have some news by the end of August or early September.

Without CSQ, the next option that you can consider would be to apply for PGWP and in any case, your spouse then can apply for spousal OWP using your PGWP later.

You guys have multiple options in future but at the moment, its better to wait for CSQ and your OWP application.
Thanks. Yeah. I just don't want to interrupt my current full-time job and worry that I would lose the job because of this...

Another possible option is to ask my employer to give me LMIA and apply for employer-specific work permit. In this case, I guess it will still take a lot of time and I will not be able to receive it prior Aug 31, right? And, I guess I still cannot work while waiting for this employer-specific work permit? (It seems start working while waiting for work permit only applies for PGWP, right? For a fresh new work permit I mean, not in maintained status with expired work permit).

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Thanks. Yeah. I just don't want to interrupt my current full-time job and worry that I would lose the job because of this...

Another possible option is to ask my employer to give me LMIA and apply for employer-specific work permit. In this case, I guess it will still take a lot of time and I will not be able to receive it prior Aug 31, right? And, I guess I still cannot work while waiting for this employer-specific work permit? (It seems start working while waiting for work permit only applies for PGWP, right? For a fresh new work permit I mean, not in maintained status with expired work permit).
yes I understand, but you dont have a valid work permit and you are working full-time only because of special policy.

LMIA is a pre-work permit time consuming process and most employers dont engage in headache immigration matters.

After you guys have a CSQ, the quickest you can do is following (If you dont want or dont have all the document ready for PR)

1. Your husband can ask his employer to get a an offer of employment number which employer can do without the LMIA (this option is only for main CSQ applicant)

2. Once he gets this employement number, he can apply for employer-specific WP. See following link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/eligibility/employer-specific-labout-market-impact-assessment-exemptions.html#t2

3. At the time he applies for employer-specific WP, he can apply for your OWP using Family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province [R205(c)(ii) – C49]

But again, you wouldnt be able to get a work permit very quickly. However, by doing this procedure, you guys will be able to get a long term WP valid for 2-3 years (then your husband dont need to worry about expiry of existing PGWP or applying for PR quickly)

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021
If CSQ goes successfully, then you can proceed with PR and

yes I understand, but you dont have a valid work permit and you are working full-time only because of special policy.

LMIA is a pre-work permit time consuming process and most employers dont engage in headache immigration matters.

After you guys have a CSQ, the quickest you can do is following (If you dont want or dont have all the document ready for PR)

1. Your husband can ask his employer to get a an offer of employment number which employer can do without the LMIA (this option is only for main CSQ applicant)

2. Once he gets this employement number, he can apply for employer-specific WP. See following link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/eligibility/employer-specific-labout-market-impact-assessment-exemptions.html#t2

3. At the time he applies for employer-specific WP, he can apply for your OWP using Family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province [R205(c)(ii) – C49]
Thanks. In the steps you mentioned above, can I start working while waiting for my OWP using Family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province [R205(c)(ii) – C49]? I guess not?

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Thanks. In the steps you mentioned above, can I start working while waiting for my OWP using Family members of WP holders who are Economic Class PR applicants or chosen by a province [R205(c)(ii) – C49]? I guess not?
Its a tricky question. According to link below
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=492&top=15

Its says that
If you applied for a work permit, such as a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), you can stay in Canada and continue to work full-time if you

• were already able to work off campus during your studies
  • applied for a work permit before your study permit expired
  • are waiting for a decision on your work permit application

C49 is not PGWP however your situation satisfies all the above three conditions. You can apply and call IRCC or MIFI for the confirmation

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021

Its says that
If you applied for a work permit, such as a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), you can stay in Canada and continue to work full-time if you

C49 is not PGWP however your situation satisfies all the above three considtions. You can apply and call IRCC or MIFI for the confirmation
Thanks a lot! I don't have further questions.

vicissitude

Star Member
Mar 18, 2021

Its says that

C49 is not PGWP however your situation satisfies all the above three conditions. You can apply and call IRCC or MIFI for the confirmation
Actually, I just realize that my current situation satisfies the condition you mentioned, too, given that I have applied for the spouse OWP, which is a work permit, before my current study permit expires. I should probably contact IRCC to confirm.

Reactions: powereng1982

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Actually, I just realize that my current situation satisfies the condition you mentioned, too, given that I have applied for the spouse OWP, which is a work permit, before my current study permit expires. I should probably contact IRCC to confirm.
Exactly, you should call them. Good luck