+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

advice on writing cover letters needed

adam614

Nov 26, 2012
I just wanted to get some general advice about writing cover letters to canadian employers. I'm doing this for a friend of mine but the problem is that they are living in another country. Their goal is basically to land a job here so that the employer will help to pay some of their traveling cost and other expenses such as getting a work visa. I'm wondering if I should mention any of that in the cover letters that I am emailing with every resume or if that is something that is just always just assumed to be known by any hiring company in Canada. I went to my local government human resources office and asked them this same question already too. They told me that I should just leave the cover letter written in the same way that anyone already living in Canada would write one. But is that really accurate? The office didn't seem too sure about this, so I have decided to look online for a more definite answer.

So to clarify my questions in greater detail, do most canadian employers / companies already assume that a job seeker is looking for travel cost coverage and help with VISA documents when they see that the person that is applying to a position is currently living in another country? Or should all of this information be included in the cover letter? I'm hoping someone here can answer this question better for me. I don't mind doing favors for my friend and job hunting for them but it would be nice to know if I'm using the correct cover letter format or not. Sometimes I think I should even include an extra letter with every resume that I send out or something. A letter of introduction that just explains my friend's overall intentions upon being hired and any requests that they may have. But as of right now, I have only been using the standard cover letter format which includes citing where I found the job posting in the first paragraph, describing job skills in the second paragraph, and explaining how I can be contacted in the third paragraph. Therefore, any extra help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wouldn't mention the travel costs or the visa costs. In my opinion this is something you deal with when you are negotiating salary and other terms once a job offer is on the table.

The letter however should mention that a work visa will be needed (i.e. something along the lines of requiring the employer's support to obtain a work visa).

SanRoque

Jan 19, 2012
You should not include about the travel cost and airfare to be covered by the employer in the cover letter, you're driving them away to hire you. This condition will be discussed once you are on a final stage of the application. Just put the information that you dont have a visa and need one is enough. Still, the bottomline is how you can sell off yourself is the key.

excellence

Jun 8, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
adam614 said:
I just wanted to get some general advice about writing cover letters to canadian employers. I'm doing this for a friend of mine but the problem is that they are living in another country. Their goal is basically to land a job here so that the employer will help to pay some of their traveling cost and other expenses such as getting a work visa. I'm wondering if I should mention any of that in the cover letters that I am emailing with every resume or if that is something that is just always just assumed to be known by any hiring company in Canada. I went to my local government human resources office and asked them this same question already too. They told me that I should just leave the cover letter written in the same way that anyone already living in Canada would write one. But is that really accurate? The office didn't seem too sure about this, so I have decided to look online for a more definite answer.

So to clarify my questions in greater detail, do most canadian employers / companies already assume that a job seeker is looking for travel cost coverage and help with VISA documents when they see that the person that is applying to a position is currently living in another country? Or should all of this information be included in the cover letter? I'm hoping someone here can answer this question better for me. I don't mind doing favors for my friend and job hunting for them but it would be nice to know if I'm using the correct cover letter format or not. Sometimes I think I should even include an extra letter with every resume that I send out or something. A letter of introduction that just explains my friend's overall intentions upon being hired and any requests that they may have. But as of right now, I have only been using the standard cover letter format which includes citing where I found the job posting in the first paragraph, describing job skills in the second paragraph, and explaining how I can be contacted in the third paragraph. Therefore, any extra help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Try here I found this very helpful. :)
http://www.youth.gc.ca/eng/topics/jobs/resume.shtml