+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice for open work permit

obiwankenobi

Sep 8, 2017
Hi Everyone ,

I'm currently living in Mexico and i want to live and work in Canada, at least a year, i'm traveling alone.
I have my passport and eta already, i have enough money to sustain myself for 2 months without a job.
The next thing i have to do is get an open work permit(and Open Work Permit Holder Fee) right? so i can work for any employer.
But this is where im confused:
i dont know if i should get a job(being in Mexico) before i request an open work permit
or
after i get a job.

in the site www.cic.gc.ca they ask me for a Proof that I Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered, even if i request the open work permit without a job offer. What if i apply for a job that doesnt require experience, like a packer, that the training is on the go and dont require much experience, im looking for this kind of jobs.

Any advice on how to go to Canada easier and faster would be appreciated. Thanks for your time reading this.

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Hi Everyone ,

I'm currently living in Mexico and i want to live and work in Canada, at least a year, i'm traveling alone.
I have my passport and eta already, i have enough money to sustain myself for 2 months without a job.
The next thing i have to do is get an open work permit(and Open Work Permit Holder Fee) right? so i can work for any employer.
But this is where im confused:
i dont know if i should get a job(being in Mexico) before i request an open work permit
or
after i get a job.

in the site www.cic.gc.ca they ask me for a Proof that I Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered, even if i request the open work permit without a job offer. What if i apply for a job that doesnt require experience, like a packer, that the training is on the go and dont require much experience, im looking for this kind of jobs.

Any advice on how to go to Canada easier and faster would be appreciated. Thanks for your time reading this.
i dont think you qualify for an open work permit. you may have to find an employer that is willing to provide you with an lmia for a closed work permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed. You don't qualify for an open work permit unless there are details about yourself that you have left out.

To work in Canada, you first need to secure a full time job offer from an employer in Canada. That employer then needs to obtain an approved LMIA. You can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. Generally speaking, it's very difficult to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process. Also, the LMIA processing time is long (often 3-4 months) and there's still the work permit waiting time on top of that. If you want to try to find a job in Canada, you will need to bring enough money with you to stay here for 6-8 months without working. Having enough money for two months is not nearly long enough. You also have to be prepared for the fact that it's quite possible you won't find an employer and will have to leave Canada without being able to work.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
isnt the ETA a temporary resident permit ??
No ETA is not a temporary resident permit. TRP is only issued to those who have work permit or as international student that resides in Canada.

ETA is a visitor visa that allows you to visit Canada for a limit time so you can't as long as you want. And also you cannot work on a ETA.

obiwankenobi

Sep 8, 2017
No ETA is not a temporary resident permit. TRP is only issued to those who have work permit or as international student that resides in Canada.

ETA is a visitor visa that allows you to visit Canada for a limit time so you can't as long as you want. And also you cannot work on a ETA.
thanks for your answers.

ok so what about this then
"An eTA is a paperless document that is electronically linked to your passport. It also shows that you are eligible to enter Canada as a temporary resident." from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5487ETOC.asp

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
thanks for your answers.

"An eTA is a paperless document that is electronically linked to your passport. It also shows that you are eligible to enter Canada as a temporary resident." from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5487ETOC.asp

Yes you can enter Canada as a temporary resident meaning as a visitor only. The immigration border officers at the airport will determine how long you can stay in Canada. Maximum stay is 6 months usually but it depends

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
thanks for your answers.

You need to do some more research. A Temporary Resident Permit, TRP, is a special permit issued to people who are inadmissible to Canada but have a compelling reason to enter.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ONLY if your ETA is denied right?
No - having an ETA denied does not make you eligible for a TRP. Again, as you've been repeatedly told, you need to forget about the open work permit. You don't qualify. If you want to work in Canada you need a full time job offer and approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit.