+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice for an Aspiring Engineer

h0p1aub3

Jul 26, 2017
Hello all!

I'd like to seek advice because I seem to be in a dilemma of sorts, although I believe I'm not the only one who's been in this situation so I hope I may find some guidance within this community. I've also sought advice from close friends and family and I'd like to gather advice from as many individuals as I can to help me come to a decision, and quite possibly a life-changing decision so *insert sarcasm* no pressure there.

I'll start with a little intro about myself. I took up a 5-year program,and graduated with, a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Eng. inclusive of on-the-job training (which is the equivalent of co-op in Canada) in two companies for 300 hours each during my studies in the Philippines. After graduating I pursued a career in construction as an electrical estimator/surveyor for four years.
I've applied for Express Entry for permanent residence and as such I have my educational credentials assessed by the University of Toronto and the assessment result was: Three-year diploma from a recognized college or institute of technology. I've also taken the IELTS exam and achieved an overall score of 7.5.

Here is where my first dilemma steps in; I've been on a lookout for job openings for a while now and along the way a friend of mine in Toronto is willing to sponsor a loan of a certain amount for education given that I move there on a student visa. After a bit of research it turns out that tuition fee for international students range from about 3 to 5 times as much compared to that of citizens/permanent residents. Nonetheless, it seems that most use this option to immigrate to Canada. However, with the value of our currency being lower than the Canadian dollar, it would be quite the cost to study on a student visa especially if the loan does not cover the whole duration of the program.

I would like to know what your advice/opinion/suggestion would be given my situation; whether I would go for my friend's offer as a student immigrant, or keep searching for a job while waiting for my ITA.
My other dilemma is IF I decide to take on my friend's offer and immigrate as a student (or manage to land as a permanent resident), I am unsure whether to pursue a new program related to my field of work as an estimator/quantity surveyor; OR to continue studying to complete a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (since my degree is equivalent to a 3-year program in Canada). I'd like to now which would be more worthwhile in helping me land a job with the most successful outcome and eventually settle in the country.

Apologies for the long post; I tend to focus on the details and I wrote more of my situation for anyone who may relate. I appreciate if you've read it through and I would appreciate it even more if you would share your advice/opinion as I would consider anything at this point. I also hope I am posting in the appropriate section, if not please advise and I will take care of it.

Thank you in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll help with one question. It's extremely difficult to secure a job offer as a foreign worker since the vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through the LMIA process. Probably pretty safe to assume you won't be able to find one.