Med's Request
6/28/2017
Med's Done....
7/3/2017
Passport Req..
01/08/2018
VISA ISSUED...
01/10/2018
A friend of mine came to Canada using her maiden name but was already married at the time. She then adopted her niece's kid, which was late registered and her's and her husband's names are listed as the parents.

Question: can she use the regular forms in sponsoring a dependent or there are different form/s that she needs to use?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A friend of mine came to Canada using her maiden name but was already married at the time. She then adopted her niece's kid, which was late registered and her's and her husband's names are listed as the parents.

Question: can she use the regular forms in sponsoring a dependent or there are different form/s that she needs to use?
Is she planning on sponsoring her husband as well?

When you say that she came to Canada using her maiden name, what do you mean by that? How did she get PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did she adopt her neice's children in Canada or abroad. Are the children's parents both deceased? If not deceased that would be considered an adoption of convenience.

Did she land as married or single?

Reactions: YVR123

Vendi

Star Member
Apr 26, 2018
Did she adopt her neice's children in Canada or abroad. Are the children's parents both deceased? If not deceased that would be considered an adoption of convenience.

Did she land as married or single?
Hello am also in a similar situation, am including my niece on my forms as my dependant and adopted child thou the adoption process is not yet processed, because it requires me being their in court physically in my home country, so she wont be landing with me. Am applying inland spousal sponsorship, mother of the kid which is my sister is decesed and father is unknown.
Question is after i get my pr. When can i apply for my then adopted childs pr ks there a time frame one has to wait upon or you can do it anytime after getting the pr.
2. I will add my canadian husband and i as the parent to my adopted niece, so do we have to get a clearance from canada province to allow us adopt the child because after i get my pr we have to go back to my home country to do the adoption process

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hello am also in a similar situation, am including my niece on my forms as my dependant and adopted child thou the adoption process is not yet processed, because it requires me being their in court physically in my home country, so she wont be landing with me. Am applying inland spousal sponsorship, mother of the kid which is my sister is decesed and father is unknown.
Question is after i get my pr. When can i apply for my then adopted childs pr ks there a time frame one has to wait upon or you can do it anytime after getting the pr.
2. I will add my canadian husband and i as the parent to my adopted niece, so do we have to get a clearance from canada province to allow us adopt the child because after i get my pr we have to go back to my home country to do the adoption process
I don't think you can add your niece as your dependent until the adoption process is finalized and completed first. That is like applying for PR sponsorship for your unborn child. The child needs to be born first before adding child as dependent. Besides since the father is unknown, you cannot really say the child is legally orphaned. I may be wrong, but I don't think CIC will accept your adoption of your niece as dependent since the father is still alive despite "unknown" on birth certificate. They could see your adoption process as an act of adoption of convenience. They will likely ask for proof of death of father, before they will accept your niece as your legal dependent for PR sponsorship.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Adopting and adopting a family member is difficult or not possible in some countries. Would consider consulting an immigration lawyer about your situation. This isn’t as simple as you think.