+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A query about study permit

chemistesa

Star Member
Feb 10, 2017
Hello All,

My wife just got accepted to a Graduate Certificate program at Sheridan College. The course starts in September, 2021. We are planning to apply for the visa. Few questions I need answers to are given below. I would appreciate if anybody can help us with them.

1. We are not quite sure if the course will be delivered online or in-class in September. Should my wife start the application process of study permit?

2. I have neither job offer nor a study permit. Under the current circumstances, I am not allowed to travel to Canada. Is this right? I was initially planning to apply for an open work permit and support my wife while she is studying in Canada. This is no longer a choice, I guess.

3. We both have several UK visas on our passports. Would this help us get the visa?

4. Does she need to pay the tuition fee and accommodation fee before applying for the study permit?

5. Would it be wise if my wife gets her visa first, and then I apply as a dependent visitor before she gets in Canada?

Any thought or idea might help. Many thanks for your answers.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. You can start now. Don’t know where you are from as processing times can be long.
2. You can apply for an open work permit along with her application. You can travel with her but you may need written authorization to travel if your work permit is approved. A lot can change in the coming months.
3. Maybe. Travel is just one factor in approval. Most important is that the program leads to career progression in your home country.
4. Pay tuition is best to show that she can afford studies plus show the minimum POF for 2 people.
5. Apply together now. If yours is refused, she comes to Canada and you can try again.

co2020

May 31, 2020
Hello All,

My wife just got accepted to a Graduate Certificate program at Sheridan College. The course starts in September, 2021. We are planning to apply for the visa. Few questions I need answers to are given below. I would appreciate if anybody can help us with them.

1. We are not quite sure if the course will be delivered online or in-class in September. Should my wife start the application process of study permit?

2. I have neither job offer nor a study permit. Under the current circumstances, I am not allowed to travel to Canada. Is this right? I was initially planning to apply for an open work permit and support my wife while she is studying in Canada. This is no longer a choice, I guess.

3. We both have several UK visas on our passports. Would this help us get the visa?

4. Does she need to pay the tuition fee and accommodation fee before applying for the study permit?

5. Would it be wise if my wife gets her visa first, and then I apply as a dependent visitor before she gets in Canada?

Any thought or idea might help. Many thanks for your answers.
  1. The form of instruction doesn't matter. Apply for the study permit now.
  2. You do not need a job offer to apply for SOWP. But if you are depending on supporting your wife by getting a job while she studies, it may mean your finance isn't sufficient.
  3. Yes travel history always helps. Good thing you have those.
  4. Yes and No. She needs to pay for Tuition. For accommodation, you have to demonstrate that you have enough funds to cover the period of the study. You will also have to specify the amount you have for both tuition and accommodation/living expenses on the application form. A strong financial capacity is really important.
  5. Yes. Let your wife get her permit/visa first. Channel all your resources to that. Once she gets it, your chances of getting SOWP increases by 95%.
    • As her spouse you will become part of her proof of ties to home country.
    • Her financial strength increases. e.g. Instead of showing 30,000 as POF for two people, it will be for one person.

Reactions: kimkim2015