Waived
Passport Req..
26th July 2010 /Reissued 12th May 2011
VISA ISSUED...
19th July 2011
LANDED..........
25th April 2012 at Toronto
Hello Everyone,

I have been away from this forum for quite some time, however I did find some time today to return and share my experience and story of my first 6 months of life in Canada.

I landed in April and when I came here I didn't leave my job in India. I took a three weeks vacation from my job to come to Canada and complete my landing formalities and go back. However Canada didn't let me go back. Was it good or bad, you can decide yourself after going through the post.

My relatives were already living here, they started insisting me to apply for jobs. I had an IT background and had no idea whatsoever about the IT job market in Canada. Anyhow, I started applying for different positions on different job boards and slowly started getting some responses. The biggest difference was the number of contract jobs being offered to me, which is very uncommon in India. In India you either work for a private company or for government. But there are hardly any contracts. I got two offers for short term contracts within weeks of applying. However because of my Indian background I wanted to go for a permanent job (Keep in mind that I still hadn't left my job in India and always had the option of going back.)

However after my 3 weeks of vacation got over, I started getting calls for my manager. With some pursuance I managed to extend my vacation for another one week and he also gave me permission to work from here for another two weeks. (God bless him, he was the best manager I ever had) I started working in night shifts, logging in from Toronto, for a job that was in India, and was servicing clients in Europe (Phew) However after continuing for two more weeks, my manager finally asked me to take a decision. And I don't know why, I decided to quit my job in India and stay here. This decision was more difficult than you would imagine. I still hadn't vacated my apartment that I used to rent in Bangalore. My car was still parked in parking lot of my building. Luckily I had a cousin living in the same apartment building. He took all my stuff and placed in his apartment and sent my car to my native place in Punjab.

So here I was in Canada, without a job or enough clothes to wear. However I kept applying for jobs and in July, I got one offer for a permanent IT consultant job in Calgary. I was confused again, should I stay in Toronto, where I have relatives to support me, or move to Calgary, where I don't know anyone and is famous for its harsh winters. But luckily I didn't have to go there, I got another offer for a job in Toronto and started at the end of July. After one week's orientation I was directly assigned to a project.

I have been working on that project for almost 4 months now. It is very fast paced and pressuring. I don't know if this is a norm in Canada, or is it specific to this project only. Someone who has broader experience in Canadian IT sphere will be able to comment.

So the big question, am I happy and do I think that my decision was correct or not. I don't know yet. There is a hell lot of difference between going to a country as a tourist and making an alien land your home. I was lucky that I didn't have to do an odd job and got a well paying job to start with. However I am still living with my relatives. I was rejected twice in road test and have just managed to get my G2 licence and going to get my new car on Monday. The car insurance costs are extremely high in Ontario. After I acquire my car, the next step is to move to a place of my own. Winter is arriving and the days are becoming shorter. The weather is gray and very depressing.

But on the other side, there is the beauty of fall as well.

I still my miss my family and friends back home. My job back in India was more laid back and relaxing. Here I am on call 24X7. Again, am I happy or not, I don't know yet. The life that I left behind was not bad either. My future life in Canada doesn't seem too bad either. I think I just need more time, before I actually start thinking, that Toronto is home now !!

muscattocanada

Star Member
May 14, 2011
muscat
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
Mar 2010
AOR Received.
APR 2010... 2nd AOR Aug 2010
File Transfer...
july 2010
Med's Request
15th Feb 2012
Med's Done....
5th may 2012
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
Dec 18th 2012
VISA ISSUED...
feb 23rd 2013
Good start ..... are you into programming or h/w networking ....

cyma

Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 25, 2009
Doc's Request.
February 3, 2010
Med's Request
March 8,2012
Med's Done....
April 4,2012
Passport Req..
PPR1 received on October 18 (Alhumdolilah).........PPR2 received on November 16 (Alhumdolilah)
LANDED..........
InshaAllah this year or early 2013
simsinghgill said:
Hello Everyone,

I have been away from this forum for quite some time, however I did find some time today to return and share my experience and story of my first 6 months of life in Canada.

I landed in April and when I came here I didn't leave my job in India. I took a three weeks vacation from my job to come to Canada and complete my landing formalities and go back. However Canada didn't let me go back. Was it good or bad, you can decide yourself after going through the post.

My relatives were already living here, they started insisting me to apply for jobs. I had an IT background and had no idea whatsoever about the IT job market in Canada. Anyhow, I started applying for different positions on different job boards and slowly started getting some responses. The biggest difference was the number of contract jobs being offered to me, which is very uncommon in India. In India you either work for a private company or for government. But there are hardly any contracts. I got two offers for short term contracts within weeks of applying. However because of my Indian background I wanted to go for a permanent job (Keep in mind that I still hadn't left my job in India and always had the option of going back.)

However after my 3 weeks of vacation got over, I started getting calls for my manager. With some pursuance I managed to extend my vacation for another one week and he also gave me permission to work from here for another two weeks. (God bless him, he was the best manager I ever had) I started working in night shifts, logging in from Toronto, for a job that was in India, and was servicing clients in Europe (Phew) However after continuing for two more weeks, my manager finally asked me to take a decision. And I don't know why, I decided to quit my job in India and stay here. This decision was more difficult than you would imagine. I still hadn't vacated my apartment that I used to rent in Bangalore. My car was still parked in parking lot of my building. Luckily I had a cousin living in the same apartment building. He took all my stuff and placed in his apartment and sent my car to my native place in Punjab.

So here I was in Canada, without a job or enough clothes to wear. However I kept applying for jobs and in July, I got one offer for a permanent IT consultant job in Calgary. I was confused again, should I stay in Toronto, where I have relatives to support me, or move to Calgary, where I don't know anyone and is famous for its harsh winters. But luckily I didn't have to go there, I got another offer for a job in Toronto and started at the end of July. After one week's orientation I was directly assigned to a project.

I have been working on that project for almost 4 months now. It is very fast pacnd pressuring. I don't know if this is a norm in Canada, or is it spthis project only. Someone who has broader experience in Canadian IT sphere will
So the big question, am I happy and do I think that my decision was correct or not. I don't know yet. There is a hell lot of difference between going to a countrys a tourist and making an alien land your home. I was lucky that I didn'have to do an odd job and got a well paying job to start with. However I am still living with my relatives. I was rejected twice in road test and have just manged to get my G2 licence and going to get my new car on Monday. The car insurance costs are extremely high in Ontario. After I acquire my car, the next step is to move to a place of my own. Winter is arriving and the days are becoming shorter. The weather is gray and very depressing.

I still my miss my family and friends back home. My job back in India was more laid back and relaxing. Here I am on call 24X7. Again, am I happy or not, I don't know yet. The life that I left behind was not bad either. My future life in Canada doesn't seem too bad either. I think I just need more time, before I actually start thinking, that Toronto is home now !!
Dear Simsing,
Although am from Pakistan . But I can understand your mix feeling
Becoz I am predicting same I'll feel after six month stay. I have same
noc. Enjoying smart job with smart salary . And
verry confused what to do I have relatives in toronto and don't want to Calgary
Because of its chilled weather.
But one thing is diff that I will move with my family before April 2013
InshaALLAH. Sorry junked typed below due to T9 mobile issue.
Bohhggffjkkx , vghhherycftgbjjdd smnjjhhghart

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
simsinghgill said:
Hello Everyone,

I have been working on that project for almost 4 months now. It is very fast paced and pressuring. I don't know if this is a norm in Canada, or is it specific to this project only. Someone who has broader experience in Canadian IT sphere will be able to comment.

So the big question, am I happy and do I think that my decision was correct or not. I don't know yet. There is a hell lot of difference between going to a country as a tourist and making an alien land your home. I was lucky that I didn't have to do an odd job and got a well paying job to start with. However I am still living with my relatives. I was rejected twice in road test and have just managed to get my G2 licence and going to get my new car on Monday. The car insurance costs are extremely high in Ontario. After I acquire my car, the next step is to move to a place of my own. Winter is arriving and the days are becoming shorter. The weather is gray and very depressing.

Thanks for sharing bro, I will be landing in Jan Inshallah,
could you tell me whats the market like for SAP professionals?

thx.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
simsinghgill said:
This is the norm.

Congratulations on finding a job so quickly and good luck with your life in Canada.