+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours). Problem!

pultyn

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
So CIC officially says:

30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Which I don't know for sure how to read.

I have closed 1-year long WP which ends up on July 31st. At this moment I have worked for about 1050 hours. So, 510 hours left. Company is going to be closed within 2 or 3 months which creates brand new immigration problem for me (I got used to t already. No surprised at all).

If I complete necessary hours by the end of April and then stay employed there without getting pay or with minimum pay, will it be approved by IRCC? What to do in situation like this? Anyone?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pultyn said:
So CIC officially says:

I have closed 1-year long WP which ends up on July 31st. At this moment I have worked for about 1050 hours. So, 510 hours left. Company is going to be closed within 2 or 3 months which creates brand new immigration problem for me (I got used to t already. No surprised at all).

If I complete necessary hours by the end of April and then stay employed there without getting pay or with minimum pay, will it be approved by IRCC? What to do in situation like this? Anyone?
You don't just need the necessary hours - you also need 52 weeks of work. When did you start working?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
pultyn said:
So CIC officially says:

CIC says this so that people who work PART-TIME (fewer than 30 hours per week) can calculate their full-time equivalent experience.

You do not say how many hours you work per week. But if you work full-time, you do not count hours at all. You simply need one full calendar year (52 weeks) of employment. Full-time is defined as "30 or more" hours per week, which means there is no difference if you work 30, 40, or 80 hours per week, it is all the same, "full time."

To be eligible for the CEC program, you need a MINIMUM of one year of full-time work in Canada, or the equivalent in part-time work (which, by definition, will take longer than one year.

As far as working with no or minimum pay - if you have a closed work permit, that means you probably have an LMIA, which outlines the terms under which you must work, including minimum salary. Your employer cannot legally pay you less than what is on the LMIA. And while you can "volunteer," that is not considered work experience for the purpose of express entry.

pultyn

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
It's closed permit but LMIA exempt one. It's IEC - Young Professionals category. I work 45h a week. So it doesn't matter how many hours I have. I need to work a year and have minimum of 1560h, right?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
pultyn said:
It's closed permit but LMIA exempt one. It's IEC - Young Professionals category. I work 45h a week. So it doesn't matter how many hours I have. I need to work a year and have minimum of 1560h, right?
You need to work at least one year if you are full-time.

asd1985

Nov 27, 2015
Question: I have an Inc. say,1234 Quebec inc.

Can i show myself as an employee of this Inc.? I have an ITA right now with 526 points, but i did not check the "self-employment" box while filling out Canadian WE, since i'm not sure if this counts as self employment or not. I've tried to ask them this 5-6 times but they don't answer any questions regarding EE on the phone.

Thoughts?

If i decline, will this hurt my profile? If i accept and then get rejected by them, will this hurt my future chances?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
asd1985 said:
Question: I have an Inc. say,1234 Quebec inc.

Can i show myself as an employee of this Inc.? I have an ITA right now with 526 points, but i did not check the "self-employment" box while filling out Canadian WE, since i'm not sure if this counts as self employment or not. I've tried to ask them this 5-6 times but they don't answer any questions regarding EE on the phone.

Thoughts?

If i decline, will this hurt my profile? If i accept and then get rejected by them, will this hurt my future chances?
So, you already know I think you should check the self-employment box on this one.

If you decline, your profile will remain active, and you can make that change, and see what your new score will be.

If you apply, and your application is later refused (after waiting months), you will have to start again by creating a new profile...

Are you still self-employed or do you have full-time employment now?

asd1985

Nov 27, 2015
jes_ON said:
So, you already know I think you should check the self-employment box on this one.

If you decline, your profile will remain active, and you can make that change, and see what your new score will be.

If you apply, and your application is later refused (after waiting months), you will have to start again by creating a new profile...

Are you still self-employed or do you have full-time employment now?
So sorry. For some reason, i never got any notification for this post so i never replied. :(

Well, as it stands, i'm about to decline the ITA for the reason you specified above. My current score (assuming i check the "self-employed" box and get ZERO points for "WE in Canada") will be 433.

So i do not know if after declining, i will get another ITA straight away or not, but theoretically i can get one if the cut-off doesn't rise.

If the score keeps going up, then by end of April, i'll be eligible to take IELTS again anyway.

Thanks for replying to my post and let me know if you have something to add. I appreciate it!