+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3 Year Sponsor- money ??? Confused

LindaB

Nov 17, 2010
Hi,

Okay so I brough my common law bf from Poland and after a year I dumped him, was not happy with him. He was in school and has no money, well has a little but should not help him get far. He told reminded me about the three year support. What can he do? How does this impact me? I'm a student too I have no money?

Also, he owes me 2K on a credit card he promised he would pay. I ahve emails stating he would pay.

Can someone help- can this guy screw me.

Thanks,

LindaB

Nov 17, 2010
Actually we are both college students- but I live with my parents. He was forced to find a place and fend for himself.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
LindaB said:
Hi,

Okay so I brough my common law bf from Poland and after a year I dumped him, was not happy with him. He was in school and has no money, well has a little but should not help him get far. He told reminded me about the three year support. What can he do? How does this impact me? I'm a student too I have no money?

Also, he owes me 2K on a credit card he promised he would pay. I ahve emails stating he would pay.

Can someone help- can this guy screw me.

Thanks,
Any social welfare money he takes from the government will probably become your responsibility to pay back.

The credit card money is a matter for small claims court.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You signed a sponsorship agreement with CIC, re-read it.

You and your partner signed a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support, if necessary.
This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.
You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.

From the form IMM 1344

Basic requirements include food, shelter, clothing, fuel, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements and health care not provided by public health, including dental care and eye care.
I promise that financial obligations or other personal circumstances over the applicable period referred to above will not prevent me from honouring this agreement and the sponsorship undertaking I signed or co-signed;
I promise that the sponsored person and his or her family members will not need to apply for social assistance benefits; and
I promise to respond promptly to requests for help from the sponsored person and his or her family members by giving money, buying items or providing services for their living expenses.

OBLIGATIONS OF THE PERSON TO BE SPONSORED
As the person to be sponsored, I promise to make every reasonable effort to provide for my own basic requirements as well as those of my accompanying family members;
I promise to ask the sponsor and co-signer (if applicable) for help if I or my family members are having difficulty supporting themselves or meeting their own basic requirements.

LEGAL AND FINANCIAL CONSEQUENCES
The co-signer, if applicable, is jointly and severally or solidarily bound with the sponsor to perform the obligations of the sponsorship undertaking and is liable with the sponsor for any breach of those obligations. If the sponsor and, if applicable, the co-signer do not provide support as required, the sponsored person can take legal action.

So if he claims social assistance benefits you are liable for them.

LindaB

Nov 17, 2010
Okay- but if he is a student does he not need to drop out of school- because is also suppose to try and make every effort to support himself.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes he has to try and make "every reasonable effort ", it may not be reasonable to you though.
He could drop out of school, he could do many things and sadly you will still on the hook for it, no matter what.

You say you are a student, did anyone co-sign the sponsorship form?

LindaB

Nov 17, 2010
WEll he is telling me that he is not dropping out of school and if he does get a job it will be part time. I can't afford to support his stupid ass. I mean- I hate him

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't want to sound over the top on this, but you did sign the agreement, did you read it?

It does not matter if you hate him, it is the legal sponsorship agreement that you are bound by.
The government is interested in the fact that they will not pay him welfare. Well they will if he claims it, but then they will recover every cent from you.

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
LindaB said:
WEll he is telling me that he is not dropping out of school and if he does get a job it will be part time. I can't afford to support his stupid ass. I mean- I hate him
That's harsh. I'm not sure of what happened, but let me suggest that no one is perfect. We all equally suck at times. We're also only here for a short period of time 60~ years, so it'd be good to try and make the best of it. If the world woke up and realized that hating one another is utterly pointless (in the grand scheme of things), and we're all stuck on this rock for a very small amount of time (without any real understanding of the meaning of our existence), perhaps people would learn to live with and love one another. It's nice to dream, I suppose...

I guess I'd like to hope perhaps you and him can work things out together, as it certainly beats having this kind of drama/burden on your shoulder for the next few years. Is there any chance to forgive and forget?

These are my two cents, and my opinion. Please keep that in mind.

LindaB

Nov 17, 2010
I don't understand how welfare works. So- he can just make up any amount he wants. I mean he needs this he says

Rent- $800 /includes everythign
Transport. $100
Food $400

That's $1,300 ...... how the heck is welfare going to give him that

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Was it only you that signed the agreement or did someone else co-sign?

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
If it was only you that signed then you are the one that is responsible. Hopefully he would be the kind of person that doesn't actually want to go on welfare and will do whatever it takes to support himself. Does anyone know if OSAP is considered welfare? He could always apply for OSAP if he intends to stay in school.

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
LindaB said:
I found someone else, who I love. Who is everything he is not.
Hmmm, sounds like it was a very well thought out decision.