+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

3 months pregnant

Sinishiju

Jul 24, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Please do help me. My husband and I got the pr invitation and will be moving to canada in september 2017. I will be 3 months pregnant then. Will the delivery cost and doctor's visit be covered in any of the provinces or do we have to bear all the pregnancy costs? I have read many posts on different sites regarding this but still not clear with the answer. It seems Alberta and Manitoba does provvide pregnancy coverage even if its pre existing when u land. Please do help us. We are really tensed now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Everyone,

Please do help me. My husband and I got the pr invitation and will be moving to canada in september 2017. I will be 3 months pregnant then. Will the delivery cost and doctor's visit be covered in any of the provinces or do we have to bear all the pregnancy costs? I have read many posts on different sites regarding this but still not clear with the answer. It seems Alberta and Manitoba does provvide pregnancy coverage even if its pre existing when u land. Please do help us. We are really tensed now.
There is no "pre-existing" clause in the Canadian health care system. Some provinces have wait times for new residents, the longest of which is 3 months. If you move to one of those provinces, you will need to pay your own medical costs until coverage starts.

Reactions: Sinishiju

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello Everyone,

Only thing you have to worry about is 3 month waiting period for coverage in some provinces (like Ontario with OHIP). Where exactly will you be living?

If you happen to live in a province requiring a 3 months wait, and you arrive at 3 months pregnant, that just means you'll have to pay for all pregnancy related costs between months 3-6 out of pocket (so checkups, blood tests, ultrasounds, emergencies, etc). However since coverage would kick in before your due date, then at least the late-pregnancy and all delivery related costs would be covered.

If you move to a province with no waiting period (like Alberta), then you are covered for all costs from the beginning.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just wanted to clarify that you can't move to Alberta to get immediate healthcare coverage and then leave right after delivery. Provinces require you stay a certain amount of time or you will have to repay.

Sinishiju

Jul 24, 2017
Only thing you have to worry about is 3 month waiting period for coverage in some provinces (like Ontario with OHIP). Where exactly will you be living?

If you happen to live in a province requiring a 3 months wait, and you arrive at 3 months pregnant, that just means you'll have to pay for all pregnancy related costs between months 3-6 out of pocket (so checkups, blood tests, ultrasounds, emergencies, etc). However since coverage would kick in before your due date, then at least the late-pregnancy and all delivery related costs would be covered.

If you move to a province with no waiting period (like Alberta), then you are covered for all costs from the beginning.
Thanks Rob,

Actually we had planned to land in Ontario since its near to Maine where my sister resides. But due to the unexpected pregnancy we have to reconsider our option. Many people told us that Ontario does not provide any coverage if you are already pregnant while landing, all costs has to be spent out of our pockets and the amount may go upto $12000. So now we are palnning to land in Alberta since they provide coverage from day 1. But if you are sure Ontario will provide coveage after 3 months waiting period then we are happy to consider that too. Just need confirmation on that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you only have to wait 3 months until you get health coverage in Ontario (OHIP). You will be responsible for any doctors visits, tests, hospital visits/emergencies over the 3 months. If you move to Alberta coverage starts immediately. You will need to stay in Alberta for 183 days out of the year or else you will have to reimburse the province. If you decide to move back to Ontario you will have to wait for 3 months for your OHIP to start. Given that you are in Maine, I'm surprised you wouldn't be moving based on where you've been able to secure employment. I think that should also be high on the priority list if you have a baby on the way.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Just a word of caution. Coming to Alberta does not automatically guarantee coverage from day one (speaking from experience). I would suggest contacting them prior to making the decision to land there and ensure you are covered and the can meet the requirements to avoid back charges.

Eligible residents
An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:

1. Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta;
  2. Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at least 183 days in a 12 month period;
  3. Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory or country;
  4. Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta.
NOTE: Individuals coming to Alberta on visas or permits from Citizenship and Immigration Canada may be eligible for AHCIP coverage, depending on the type of immigration document they have, the length of time on the document and their commitment to reside in Alberta for 12 consecutive months.

When you move to Alberta from another province or country, there may be a waiting period before you become eligible for coverage under the AHCIP.
http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/registration-requirements.html

Sinishiju

Jul 24, 2017
Yes you only have to wait 3 months until you get health coverage in Ontario (OHIP). You will be responsible for any doctors visits, tests, hospital visits/emergencies over the 3 months. If you move to Alberta coverage starts immediately. You will need to stay in Alberta for 183 days out of the year or else you will have to reimburse the province. If you decide to move back to Ontario you will have to wait for 3 months for your OHIP to start. Given that you are in Maine, I'm surprised you wouldn't be moving based on where you've been able to secure employment. I think that should also be high on the priority list if you have a baby on the way.
Thanks, We are moving from India and not Maine.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So what would be an ideal option? Ontario or Alberta?
Where do you plan to live? You can't simply move to a province, use its health care system and then leave for another province. If you do that, the first province will go after you for more than the costs of the free health care you received. You need to pick the province where you plan to live and work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depends on many things: your finances, your professions, etc. Alberta and Ontario are still very diverse regions. Your cost of living will be very different depending where you settle.

Also wanted to point out that you may not qualify for maternity benefits depending on if/how long you are able to work before having your baby.
Are you eligible for EI maternity or parental benefits?
You may be eligible to receive EI maternity or parental benefits if:

• you are employed in insurable employment;
  • you meet the specific criteria for receiving EI maternity or parental benefits;
  • your normal weekly earnings are reduced by more than 40%; and
  • you have accumulated at least 600 hours of insurable employment during the qualifying period or, if you are a self-employed fisher, you have earned enough money during the qualifying period

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Many people told us that Ontario does not provide any coverage if you are already pregnant while landing, all costs has to be spent out of our pockets and the amount may go upto $12000.
Everyone who told you this is completely wrong and doesn't understand how Canadian healthcare works. In every province, there are no such things as pre-existing conditions that are excluded for coverage. Once you pass any required waiting period, you are covered for everything no matter what.

So in Ontario you are covered for all pregnancy/delivery related costs starting exactly 3 months after you establish residence as a PR here.

As others have mentioned, no matter what province you intend to move to make sure you understand the residency commitment. Most have 6 month requirements that you must live in the province for.

Sinishiju

Jul 24, 2017
Thanks everyone for the help. We have decided to move to Ottawa. Hope we get settled soon with a safe and happy delivery.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks everyone for the help. We have decided to move to Ottawa. Hope we get settled soon with a safe and happy delivery.
I would suggest you start looking for a midwife immediately upon arriving in Ottawa. In Ontario, midwife services are offered for free even to those without OHIP coverage. So this will allow for constant pregnancy related care at free or greatly reduced cost, as opposed to paying doctor/OB fees for the 3 months waiting period.

Midwives are in very high demand in many cities, so just keep in mind all may be fully booked and unable to take you as a client.