+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2017 Parent sponsorship application documents

viviancheong

Apr 27, 2017
Hi I was selected for submission of PGP application recently, however when go through the income requirements, I have some confusions.

I landed in August 2014 and my income for 2014 was a mixed of foreign income (USA) and Canadian income, however when I filed the tax form they did ask for foreign income, so my total income in 2014 was 58400 CAD equivalent. However, as I filed as a non resident since I live less than half a year, the taxable income on line 150 is only 12,780 (I only worked part time). Can I submit the income document such as pay slips from my employment in the first half of the year in USA to show that I met the income requirements to sponsor my parents?

Any help greatly appreciated.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
viviancheong said:
Hi I was selected for submission of PGP application recently, however when go through the income requirements, I have some confusions.

I landed in August 2014 and my income for 2014 was a mixed of foreign income (USA) and Canadian income, however when I filed the tax form they did ask for foreign income, so my total income in 2014 was 58400 CAD equivalent. However, as I filed as a non resident since I live less than half a year, the taxable income on line 150 is only 12,780 (I only worked part time). Can I submit the income document such as pay slips from my employment in the first half of the year in USA to show that I met the income requirements to sponsor my parents?

Congratulations! You just successfully robbed a chance for another family to reunite with their parents. You are not eligible period! And you should know this before submitting the lottery and take a valuable chance from another family.

missingmymom

Star Member
Jul 26, 2016
viviancheong said:

You need to meet the financial requirements for all 3 years to be eligible to sponsor.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
viviancheong said:

Income earned while not living in Canada does not count. You don't qualify, so don't bother submitting an app.

viviancheong

Apr 27, 2017
Rob_TO said:
Income earned while not living in Canada does not count. You don't qualify, so don't bother submitting an app.
Sorry but I can't find anywhere that shows income must be in Canada? I live only partially in Canada in 2014 but I do file the global income in my tax return

viviancheong

Apr 27, 2017
missingmymom said:
You need to meet the financial requirements for all 3 years to be eligible to sponsor.
Yes I do meet income for all 3 years, only 2014 it is a combination of income from US and from Canada as I migrated mid year, however I do have to file global income in my tax return

missingmymom

Star Member
Jul 26, 2016
viviancheong said:
Yes I do meet income for all 3 years, only 2014 it is a combination of income from US and from Canada as I migrated mid year, however I do have to file global income in my tax return
Well if you are in doubt you can always call cic and verify
1-888-242-2100.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
viviancheong said:
Thank you I will call them to verify
Here is the link to details: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf

5.30. Financial requirements
The financial test is needed to prove that sponsors can support sponsored persons
for the period of the undertaking. For more details, see Minimum Necessary Income
Requirement: Low-Income Cut-Off levels (LICO), section 5.32, Exception to Minimum
Necessary Income Requirement, section 5.33 and Low Income Cut-Off and Quebec
Income Scale, Appendix F.
Financial resources:
• may include the resources of the sponsor’s spouse or common-law partner if the
sponsor’s financial resources are inadequate and the sponsor’s spouse or
common-law partner declares their resources as income on their Canadian tax
return and they co-sign the undertaking.
• cannot include pooled resources from other relatives to meet the income test.

Financial resources must originate from Canadian sources for the following reasons:
• employment income abroad is not a reliable indicator of future or stable
employment in Canada.
• CPC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada.
• converting foreign income into Canadian dollars is resource-intensive.

• in cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from
Canadian sources.

5.31. Exceptions to Canadian income rule
The exceptions to the Canadian income rule are as follows:
• sponsors who commute from Canada to work in the U.S.A. can use their U.S.
employment income provided it is declared as income on their Canadian income
tax return;
• sponsors living in Canada who declare income from foreign sources on their
Canadian tax returns, can use this foreign income to meet the financial
requirements for sponsorship.

Discretionary approval of financial requirements is not possible.

Call centre may or may not give you the correct answer. Either way you don't qualify, and your app will be rejected in 2-3 years time if you try.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
viviancheong said:
As Rob has clearly stated, your foreign income will not be considered. You don't qualify, so there is no point in submitting an app.

M

mikeymyke

And dont be like some people here who mistakenly believe they can convince CIC to reconsider their app despite not being eligible. Dont take someone else's spot

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
viviancheong said:

You were selected by CIC so that means you should be eligible. I think you should apply to give it a try. Don't waste your spot. Only if you apply will you know for sure. If you don't apply then you surely have no chance. And there is no guarantee that you will be selected next time. Submit all your income ducoments such as pay slips from employment etc. I think the new government is very compassionate and will consider you case favorably.

MissFrowz

Star Member
Oct 16, 2014
Visa Office......
Vancouver
nayr69sg said:
You were selected by CIC so that means you should be eligible. I think you should apply to give it a try. Don't waste your spot. Only if you apply will you know for sure. If you don't apply then you surely have no chance. And there is no guarantee that you will be selected next time. Submit all your income ducoments such as pay slips from employment etc. I think the new government is very compassionate and will consider you case favorably.
This is terrible advice. Even if you don't meet the minimum income by $1, your application will be refused. It amazes me how people think they can just bend the rules. I really hope CIC fixes the system next year and verifies income before people submit expressions of interest. The amount of people that have indicated they received invitations and are not eligible is ridiculous. What a complete waste for others that have been planning for years and met the requirements.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
MissFrowz said:
This is terrible advice. Even if you don't meet the minimum income by $1, your application will be refused. It amazes me how people think they can just bend the rules. I really hope CIC fixes the system next year and verifies income before people submit expressions of interest. The amount of people that have indicated they received invitations and are not eligible is ridiculous. What a complete waste for others that have been planning for years and met the requirements.
There seems to be some rumour that if you apply and pay $550 and are deemed not eligible then you will be barred from applying again for 2 years and have the $550 forfeited?

But does that mean that I can throw my hat into the lottery again and rob someone of their spot for the next 2 years?

Strange that CIC will take your money and then bar you for 2 years, but allow you to enter the lottery without any penalty.

I think the whole of Canada should take part in the lottery. All 36 million of us. It would ensure that there are almost ZERO PGP coming in.

viviancheong

Apr 27, 2017
I am confused! Have been spending the whole day calling the IRCC call center but could not get through. Anyone know any email address we can write to? I do not want to submit an application that will be refused later and waste my chance next year, if I am short of certain amount, is there anyway to overcome it as I do not want to waste the lottery ticket