+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

20/20 in Citizenship Test - Any new thing learnt?

notalawyer

Star Member
Jul 23, 2007
This is meant to be a cool off thread.

I have seeing many post where people proudly declared "I scored 20/20" . . . showing that people take pride in smoking the examination. Aside from such post making me feel bad for not knowing what I scored (I did not bother to ask), I keep wondering if studying discover canada had added any value to my Canadian knowledge - and yes I found one. - I am more tolerant of French Canada now :p.

Can you share what new thing about Canada you learnt by taking the test? If you score 20/20 - you must contribute, any other score is excused ;D

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess you are a "better" citizen when you score 20/20 & an "average" citizen when you score 15/20 & a "bad" citizen (or not) when you score less then 15 !! ;)
End of the day whether you score 15/20 or 20/20 you are the same citizen. And poor people who score less then 15 are deemed not fit to be citizens ! What a way to test people on their citizenship "skills".

Kubik

Dec 1, 2008
I didn't learn 'from the test itself', it's the other way around; having lived here for more than 4 years and interested in Canadian geography, history and culture, I already had some info which formed most of the answers to the test questions. The only thing that surprised me was the fact that during the war of 1812 as a retaliation to the USA attack on Port Dover, Canadian troops burnt down the White House.
Anyway, back to the test again: Before and after I wrote this test, I posed some of the questions to my colleagues (Born Canadians) at work and they all looked blankly, as if I asked questions about culture, history etc of a far away country.

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
I have lived In Canada for 5 years and by reading Discover Canada I learnt a lot about Canadian history and its roots. I can see the differences between US and Canada and why they can be very different regardless of having the same roots (melting pot vs multiculturalism).
I learnt about multiculturalism in Canada how it formed and how to be more tolerant with other cultures.
I also learnt about the political structure in Canada and elections, about MP, MLA, prime minister and the Queen which was a symbol that did not make too much sense until I started reading for the citizenship.
Did not score 20/20 but I was pretty close... but regardless of the score I read to learnt about the country I was going to become part of.

torontoguy1981

Star Member
Mar 16, 2013
Tot be honest I liked it , the design, the brief info and the fact that it does give you a lot of basic info that i personally needed about the country that i am going to belong to. The only thing that I think it could be better, is just reduce the number of dates.. I counted them.. 376 dates.

Oh just for the record I scored 20 pi of 20 ... lol :p :p :p :p :p

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I learned a lot of details about Canada. I knew the big general ones already but I picked up a lot of small details.

Also, since I grew up in the US, how the War of 1812 is perceived in Canada was quite interesting. It just goes to show that a lot of history has a strong point of view.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
keesio said:
I learned a lot of details about Canada. I knew the big general ones already but I picked up a lot of small details.

Also, since I grew up in the US, how the War of 1812 is perceived in Canada was quite interesting. It just goes to show that a lot of history has a strong point of view.
thats everywhere twisted; each country try to present the history in a favorable manner.
If you ask a Russian about second world war he will tell you that they saved Europe (and that you find in history books), where in fact they occupied eastern Europe for 45yrs.

Its just a matter of perspective.

notalawyer

Star Member
Jul 23, 2007
Kubik said:
I didn't learn 'from the test itself', it's the other way around; having lived here for more than 4 years and interested in Canadian geography, history and culture, I already had some info which formed most of the answers to the test questions. The only thing that surprised me was the fact that during the war of 1812 as a retaliation to the USA attack on Port Dover, Canadian troops burnt down the White House.
Anyway, back to the test again: Before and after I wrote this test, I posed some of the questions to my colleagues (Born Canadians) at work and they all looked blankly, as if I asked questions about culture, history etc of a far away country.
Thats funny . . . I joked around with my Canadian friend that if they know the answers that they are not really Canadians :). The British troops are the ones that burnt the white house not the Canadian, the present govt is trying hard to rewrite the history of the 1812 war. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

notalawyer

Star Member
Jul 23, 2007
era1521 said:
thats everywhere twisted; each country try to present the history in a favorable manner.
If you ask a Russian about second world war he will tell you that they saved Europe (and that you find in history books), where in fact they occupied eastern Europe for 45yrs.

Its just a matter of perspective.
Well said . . . I found some of the study to be patronizing . . .having moved here from the US too, I found the war of 1812 seriously padded.