+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 years stay in Canada - PR Compliance question

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018
Hi Guys,

This forum has been such a boon over the years.
I have a peculiar question guys.
I got my PR in May 2019 and the PR card expires in May 2024. I have lived in Canada for almost 1 year and 2 months (From May 2019 till around July 2020). Came back to New Delhi, India during Covid-19 as I couldn't get a job there and got very depressed & lonely there and also was running short of funds and didn't want to spend a lot of my parents money.
I have a couple of questions:
1. How can I keep my PR status ? Can it be kept forever ? Is it actually worth doing it ?
2. Is it worth going to Canada now ? Uprooting my self again and everything. My only option is Toronto as I am a finance professional (CA, CFA). How is the job market ?
I have realized I am more of a independent worker and have trouble working under bosses who are on my head 24/7.

Thanks a ton guys

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Guys,

I got my PR in May 2019 and the PR card expires in May 2024. I have lived in Canada for almost 1 year and 2 months (From May 2019 till around July 2020). Came back to New Delhi, India during Covid-19 as I couldn't get a job there and got very depressed & lonely there and also was running short of funds and didn't want to spend a lot of my parents money.
1. How can I keep my PR status ? Can it be kept forever ? Is it actually worth doing it ?
2. Is it worth going to Canada now ? Uprooting my self again and everything. My only option is Toronto as I am a finance professional (CA, CFA). How is the job market ?
I have realized I am more of a independent worker and have trouble working under bosses who are on my head 24/7.

Thanks a ton guys
1. You need to meet the residency requirement to be able to keep PR. This means you need to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years. It's entirely up to you if it's worth doing this or not. You would need to move to Canada now if you want to make sure you can keep your status and then remain in Canada until you once again meet the residency requirement.
2. Again, your call if it's worth it to go to Canada. No one can make that decision for you. Toronto is not your only option. There are finance jobs all across Canada. Yes, most of the big banks are headquartered in Toronto. However this doesn't mean there aren't many finance jobs elsewhere.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You need to meet the residency requirement to be able to keep PR. This means you need to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years. It's entirely up to you if it's worth doing this or not. You would need to move to Canada now if you want to make sure you can keep your status and then remain in Canada until you once again meet the residency requirement.
2. Again, your call if it's worth it to go to Canada. No one can make that decision for you. Toronto is not your only option. There are finance jobs all across Canada. Yes, most of the big banks are headquartered in Toronto. However this doesn't mean there aren't many finance jobs elsewhere.
Excellent post!

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi Guys,

Thanks a ton guys
for you stay in India
good luck

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018
Most of the finance jobs outside of Toronto are not finance jobs per say, but more of data entry jobs where the value addition is less.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Most of the finance jobs outside of Toronto are not finance jobs per say, but more of data entry jobs where the value addition is less.
I again disagree. But your choice to narrow it down to just Toronto of course.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
You need to ask yourself on why would you want to move to Canada? The answer shouldn't be because "Sharmaji's kid has moved to as well" or "easy immigration" or "lifestyle". Those are often the wrong reasons behind moving. Canada offers a lot and you'll need a solid reason to commit.

Finance is a broad category. The conversation would be more meaningful if you can share:
1. The job title you are chasing: is it an analyst, Finance manager, etc?
2. You said you couldn't land a job - were you ever able to figure out what was wrong with your job search? Have you asked anyone in your field within Canada to review your job application and provide a feedback?
3. About your Independent worker comment - North American culture is generally geared towards ownership and micromanagement isn't the biggest problem.
4. About feeling lonely - you need to introspect here. You need to understand the root cause. It is rarely the country.
5. "Uprooting my self again and everything." - you can get a job and land in Canada too if you can fix #2. You won't be financially uprooting yourself here that way(if that's what you mean). If you mean't uprooting socially - that goes into #4.

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018
Thanks for the clarity !

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018
You need to ask yourself on why would you want to move to Canada? The answer shouldn't be because "Sharmaji's kid has moved to as well" or "easy immigration" or "lifestyle". Those are often the wrong reasons behind moving. Canada offers a lot and you'll need a solid reason to commit.

Finance is a broad category. The conversation would be more meaningful if you can share:
1. The job title you are chasing: is it an analyst, Finance manager, etc?
2. You said you couldn't land a job - were you ever able to figure out what was wrong with your job search? Have you asked anyone in your field within Canada to review your job application and provide a feedback?
3. About your Independent worker comment - North American culture is generally geared towards ownership and micromanagement isn't the biggest problem.
4. About feeling lonely - you need to introspect here. You need to understand the root cause. It is rarely the country.
5. "Uprooting my self again and everything." - you can get a job and land in Canada too if you can fix #2. You won't be financially uprooting yourself here that way(if that's what you mean). If you mean't uprooting socially - that goes into #4.

Answers below:
1. I am a CA/CPA and a CFA and work in the investment banking space. Run a own CA/CPA firm. So a comparable job/independent opportunity would be appreciated.
2. I did everything I could. Graduated in MBA from a world renowned University in Toronto. Maybe because of COVID I couldn't get a job.
3. Cant comment anything.
4. Trying to figure myself out.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Answers below:
1. I am a CA/CPA and a CFA and work in the investment banking space. Run a own CA/CPA firm. So a comparable job/independent opportunity would be appreciated.
2. I did everything I could. Graduated in MBA from a world renowned University in Toronto. Maybe because of COVID I couldn't get a job.
#2 - Get a feedback from someone in Canada (who has experience and hires folks in your space). Pay them for an hour worth of their call. Degrees are becoming meaningless in the modern workplace - that alone isn't sufficient. Benchmark your skills realisitically and see what percentile candidate you really are. If you are in the top 75 percentile scores, focus on improving your job search process, if you are top 95 percentile - just apply and don't worry. But if you are ranked below 75 percentile, focus on your skills. If I am being truthful, most people have a below "75 percentile problem" (math agrees with me there :D). Figure this part out asap as you are literally running out of time.

As you are running a CPA firm, why not move to Canada, live cheap, keep running the firm (and apply for jobs/talk to people?). You can also provide cheap offshore CPA services to Canadians too - test this assumption with a modest $400-1000/mo search ad campaign targeting CPA keywords.

Don't operate in vacuum. I see companies like these provide offshore CPA services flawlessly: https://bookkeeperlive.com/ and the retention is usually very high too as CPA isn't a low frequency usage service, it is high frequency service that's needed for life.

roy1947

Star Member
Oct 8, 2015
looks like you want to stay in India but seek validation for your decision.
compare COL vs disposable income and do what you do.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Answers below:
You likely make a very comfortable living currently in India. If it is lifestyle or money you are unlikely to be able to do better in Canada. India is such a huge market while the finance field in Canada is saturated with good applicants.

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018
#2 - Get a feedback from someone in Canada (who has experience and hires folks in your space). Pay them for an hour worth of their call. Degrees are becoming meaningless in the modern workplace - that alone isn't sufficient. Benchmark your skills realisitically and see what percentile candidate you really are. If you are in the top 75 percentile scores, focus on improving your job search process, if you are top 95 percentile - just apply and don't worry. But if you are ranked below 75 percentile, focus on your skills. If I am being truthful, most people have a below "75 percentile problem" (math agrees with me there :D). Figure this part out asap as you are literally running out of time.

As you are running a CPA firm, why not move to Canada, live cheap, keep running the firm (and apply for jobs/talk to people?). You can also provide cheap offshore CPA services to Canadians too - test this assumption with a modest $400-1000/mo search ad campaign targeting CPA keywords.

Don't operate in vacuum. I see companies like these provide offshore CPA services flawlessly: https://bookkeeperlive.com/ and the retention is usually very high too as CPA isn't a low frequency usage service, it is high frequency service that's needed for life.
Useful insight ! Thanks ill do that.

freekyguy007

Jul 17, 2018
You likely make a very comfortable living currently in India. If it is lifestyle or money you are unlikely to be able to do better in Canada. India is such a huge market while the finance field in Canada is saturated with good applicants.
Agreed India is a good 'investor' market.