+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Yukon - Northern living allowance

Wave1rose

Jul 7, 2021
Hello All
I am currently living in Canada and recived a job offer from an organization in Yukon. Before accepting it, I need some info.

Can you please guide me about how much is the Northern living allowance for living for 6 for months in Whitehorse, Yukon? I have heard $11 per day or $30+ per day plus tax credit etc. I am quite confused as most of the websites talk about tax deductions, tax credit etc but not about the allowance. Can someone please guide me?
Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello All
I am currently living in Canada and recived a job offer from an organization in Yukon. Before accepting it, I need some info.

Can you please guide me about how much is the Northern living allowance for living for 6 for months in Whitehorse, Yukon? I have heard $11 per day or $30+ per day plus tax credit etc. I am quite confused as most of the websites talk about tax deductions, tax credit etc but not about the allowance. Can someone please guide me?
Thanks
It is not a daily allowance. It is a tax deduction (T2222: Northern resident deduction) When you fill you your taxes, you will show that you are living in Whitehorse (for at least 6 months). You can claim up to $11 per day on your tax return.

If you are married, only one person in the household can claim the deduction.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-25500-northern-residents-deductions.html