+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Your insight needed

MPVM

Mar 14, 2016
Hi guys,
Considering the latest draw, I am not sure what steps to take next :/ My score is 459, and God knows when it will see the light of day. I have already taken IELTS thrice. While my overall score went down from an 8 to a 7.5, I could only achieve CLB 9 in all four sections (LEWS) in the third attemp. The experience has been beyond frustrating. I am superbly confused as to whether I should take the test a fourth time ( in the hope of a CLB 10 which would increase my CRS score, but is equally or even more, hard to achieve), or wait for the cutoff to go down. Don't know how many rounds it will take, if at all! I am not very sure about applying to individual provinces as I guess that also costs some decent amount of money. Every IELTS attempt also costs! This is extremely confusing and frustrating, would really appreciate your insight.
Thanks a lot..

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
MPVM said:
Hi guys,
Considering the latest draw, I am not sure what steps to take next :/ My score is 459, and God knows when it will see the light of day. I have already taken IELTS thrice. While my overall score went down from an 8 to a 7.5, I could only achieve CLB 9 in all four sections (LEWS) in the third attemp. The experience has been beyond frustrating. I am superbly confused as to whether I should take the test a fourth time ( in the hope of a CLB 10 which would increase my CRS score, but is equally or even more, hard to achieve), or wait for the cutoff to go down. Don't know how many rounds it will take, if at all! I am not very sure about applying to individual provinces as I guess that also costs some decent amount of money. Every IELTS attempt also costs! This is extremely confusing and frustrating, would really appreciate your insight.
Thanks a lot..
Yes it is frustrating, but we do not have control over external factors. So, in my opinion these are the steps you can consider.

1. Try improving your scores in whatever way possible - If you are married get ECA and IELTS done for your spouse (you can get up to maximum of 30 points). Since you have got CLB9 already, I am not sure, how much of a difference would taking IELTS again make a difference to you CRS. Try to input CLB10 values in the tool and see how much difference it makes to your score http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp. It makes sense to retake IELTS only if it makes a significant difference to your score, but there is a risk that you could possibly end up with the same score. In that case, you can still use your best IELTS TRF as long as it is valid. Yes, there is a cost and time factor involved here.

2. Try for PNP - This year the quota for economic class has been reduced and there are many people entering the pool on a daily basis, so we can only guess and hope for the best. Meanwhile if you get a PT NOI from Ontario, you can give it a shot as you have 45 days to submit your application package and if you get a direct ITA in the interim, you can drop your plan for OINP and go ahead with ITA. In the worst case if you have already sent your application to OINP and then you get direct ITA in the interim, you can request OINP to cancel your application. If they have not issued you an AOR by then, then you will get your application package along with bank draft returned to you; this has worked for some people.

MPVM

Mar 14, 2016
Stanlee said:
Yes it is frustrating, but we do not have control over external factors. So, in my opinion these are the steps you can consider.

1. Try improving your scores in whatever way possible - If you are married get ECA and IELTS done for your spouse (you can get up to maximum of 30 points). Since you have got CLB9 already, I am not sure, how much of a difference would taking IELTS again make a difference to you CRS. Try to input CLB10 values in the tool and see how much difference it makes to your score http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp. It makes sense to retake IELTS only if it makes a significant difference to your score, but there is a risk that you could possibly end up with the same score. In that case, you can still use your best IELTS TRF as long as it is valid. Yes, there is a cost and time factor involved here.

2. Try for PNP - This year the quota for economic class has been reduced and there are many people entering the pool on a daily basis, so we can only guess and hope for the best. Meanwhile if you get a PT NOI from Ontario, you can give it a shot as you have 45 days to submit your application package and if you get a direct ITA in the interim, you can drop your plan for OINP and go ahead with ITA. In the worst case if you have already sent your application to OINP and then you get direct ITA in the interim, you can request OINP to cancel your application. If they have not issued you an AOR by then, then you will get your application package along with bank draft returned to you; this has worked for some people.

Thanks for such a detailed reply Stanlee :) A CLB adds 10 more points to my overall CRS score, which would take it up to 468. However, I am still confused as my score has only dropped in three attempts. Don't know if it would be worth taking it a fourth time. I am single, and have got the ECA done for my degree, so sadly there is not much scope to increase the overall score, except for retaking IELTS.
I am sorry, I haven't done much research on provincial nominations. As far as I know, once my EE profile has been made, Ontarion will send invitation on its own, right? Or would I have to apply seperately for it? If it sends out on its own, I guess I can only wait, both for, ITA and OINP.

crosstheevil

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
18-01-2016
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
N/A
I believe it's now very difficult to get 8 in all IETLS sections. There was also a 2-week delay when I got my score. Very frustrating.

http://canadianimmigrant.ca/work-and-education/express-entry-drives-more-ielts-test-takers

It's a money-making machine, the more times you take to get the "perfect" score, the more money you pay. :(

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
MPVM said:
Thanks for such a detailed reply Stanlee :) A CLB adds 10 more points to my overall CRS score, which would take it up to 468. However, I am still confused as my score has only dropped in three attempts. Don't know if it would be worth taking it a fourth time. I am single, and have got the ECA done for my degree, so sadly there is not much scope to increase the overall score, except for retaking IELTS.
I am sorry, I haven't done much research on provincial nominations. As far as I know, once my EE profile has been made, Ontarion will send invitation on its own, right? Or would I have to apply seperately for it? If it sends out on its own, I guess I can only wait, both for, ITA and OINP.
Yes, since your score is above 400 you are eligible to receive Notification of Interest from Ontario under messages in your MyCIC Account (Express Entry). Lately, Ontario has not been sending NOIs, may be because they have a huge backlog to clear (from November 2015) or some other reason which is not known. Now the best thing that you can do is wait to get NOI from Ontario or for ITA scores to come down for a direct invite. Meanwhile, if you want to know more about OINP you can check this link http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNP_EE_CAPITAL.html. You can also keep all documents ready while you wait for OINP/ direct ITA.

MPVM

Mar 14, 2016
Stanlee said:
Yes, since your score is above 400 you are eligible to receive Notification of Interest from Ontario under messages in your MyCIC Account (Express Entry). Lately, Ontario has not been sending NOIs, may be because they have a huge backlog to clear (from November 2015) or some other reason which is not known. Now the best thing that you can do is wait to get NOI from Ontario or for ITA scores to come down for a direct invite. Meanwhile, if you want to know more about OINP you can check this link http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNP_EE_CAPITAL.html. You can also keep all documents ready while you wait for OINP/ direct ITA.
Shall do that. Thanks so much Stanlee :)