+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Your advice: received PR card but not going to live in Canada

balidan

Sep 28, 2020
Hi,

I got Canadian PR card, but then moved to the US and got green card. I have decided to live in the US. I live in the US for almost last 3 years. It means that I am going to lose Canadian PR status.
My question:
Should I write a letter to Canadian Immigration Office telling that I will not be able to live in Canada (I just want to be polite with them, do not expect any exception for me) or I may just let my status expire.

Thanks

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
There is no expiry for PR status, expiry is only for the card. you will still be considered a PR until you renounce it.

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
Hi,

I got Canadian PR card, but then moved to the US and got green card. I have decided to live in the US. I live in the US for almost last 3 years. It means that I am going to lose Canadian PR status.
My question:
Should I write a letter to Canadian Immigration Office telling that I will not be able to live in Canada (I just want to be polite with them, do not expect any exception for me) or I may just let my status expire.

Thanks
You will not meet the residency obligation and once your PR card expires you will not be able to renew this. See below. You will loose your PR status by not meeting residency obligation. If you have no plans to stay in Canada then I recommend that you renounce it
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

balidan

Sep 28, 2020
Thanks for your inputs.

Actually, in the future I may apply for Canadian PR again.

How this would affect my future application? Is a big red flag, if I got PR but failed to live in Canada.