+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Young Mexican College student planning to move out (Questions)

wndr

Jan 17, 2014
Hi there, I have a couple of questions in regards to immigrating to Canada, living and working there. I was born in the U.S and moved to Mexico around I was 13. So my English level is decent and I've had no problems with it. I am currently studying Animation and Visual effects in Mexico. By the time I graduate, I plan to move to Canada. Why Canada? I love cold weather, life style is decent, all around better (As what some of my Canadian friends say). Plus I have a really good friend or two over there.

My plan is to work there on some low wage job while I build up my professional skills as a Conceptual Artist on my own. I'll be also working freelance until I get a job offer around Canada or another country.

So I have a couple of questions regarding my life plan in Canada. How hard will it be to get my visa/papers worked out? How much time will all the processing take? Taking into consideration what I actually want to do (getting a simple low wage job and living there), what immigration programs would be recommended? Do I need a work visa in able to work on a low wage job? Can I move to Canada and get my papers/visa worked out there myself?

That is all. Would appreciate greatly your answers! Thanks.

-Christopher

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't "move" to Canada until you are authorized to do so (i.e. have a work permit or have been accepted as an immigrant).

Yes - you need a work permit to work a low wage job. To qualify to apply for a work permit, you will first need to find an employer in Canada who is willing to offer you a job, that employer will then have to apply for a Labour Market Opinion and as part of this process, prove they could not hire a Canadian for the role and therefore need to hire you. Once you have the job offer and approved LMO, you will be able to apply for the work permit. You may be able to skip the LMO if you are able to secure a job offer in your profession and your profession falls under NAFTA. To be approved for the work permit, you will have to demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. Your job should also make sense in light of your education and any past experience. Otherwise this increases the chanes your work permit will be refused. If you do get a work permit and move to Canada, you should note that it will be illegal for you to work freelance for any clients / companies who are located in Canada. However you can certainly work freelace for clients / companies outside of Canada.

Canada's immigration programs are outlined below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

You will need job experience and/or a job offer in Canada to qualify to apply. There will also be other criteria you must meet (each program has its own rules).

wndr

Jan 17, 2014
Thank you, once getting a work permit and get job experience can I then apply for permanent residence?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
wndr said:
Thank you, once getting a work permit and get job experience can I then apply for permanent residence?
Not necessarily. It depends on a number of things - including what provice you're working in, if your job is skilled or not, and if the job offer is permanent. Again, the rules differ from program to program. So the best thing you can do now if you are serious about your plans is spend time reading through the immigration program requirements in detail.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

scylla said:
Not necessarily. It depends on a number of things - including what provice you're working in, if your job is skilled or not, and if the job offer is permanent. Again, the rules differ from program to program. So the best thing you can do now if you are serious about your plans is spend time reading through the immigration program requirements in detail.
Probably best bet to experience working in Canada (assuming he is a dual US/Mexican citizen) is to apply for the IEC for Mexico for a 1 year working holiday visa. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx?menu_id=76

wndr

Jan 17, 2014
Okay, thank you all for the responses. So you will have to excuse myself as I still have a couple of questions. Just little gaps that I still haven't solved myself.

So, after getting the work visa and working there say, 2 years. What will I have to do in order to extend my work visa time limit? Would I have to apply for another one? When will I be able to apply for a permanent residence? Sorry for these questions. I'm just getting pretty depressed knowing it's going to take a whole lot of time and money. And have a high chance of not even being able to get to Canada and live there. All of the hopes and dreams just getting crushed by papers saying "you can't live here".

wndr

Jan 17, 2014
Bump and edit. I would like to know if I could get a Temporary Visit Visa to Canada, Find a job there and apply for a work permit?