+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you: someone please clarify??

juice

Jan 28, 2010
From the CIC website, quote,
You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
are in prison or
have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

The point I'm concerned with is this government assistance thing. Our application is pretty much complete, I just need Jo's police clearance and my Option C when I get back to Thailand. But what's been nagging away at me is this:
what if the potential sponsor (me) was formerly a disillusioned youth, who didn't know what he or she wanted in life and fell on hard times and required government assistance, and became for some time what some people might call a "welfare bum". This happened to me when I was 17-19 years old so we're talking 25 years ago.
Is this going to negatively impact on me now?

bflava

Star Member
Feb 2, 2010
You dont need to worry as u are not in jail and as i recall is 25 yrs ago,, wowo , forget it and go ahead with your application n good luck..

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Juice: you've misquoted what the guidebook says. What it actually says on page 10 of the Sponsor's Guide is:

You are ineligible to sponsor if:
•you are in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability....

That means you can't sponsor if you are currently on social assistance. The fact that you were 25 years ago is totally irrelevant. Get your application in the mail and stop worrying. Good luck!

rk2009

Nov 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Was Buffalo now NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
28-10-2009
Med's Request
30-11-2009
Med's Done....
22-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-1-2010
VISA ISSUED...
12-2-2010
LANDED..........
30-04-2010
ariell said:
Juice: you've misquoted what the guidebook says. What it actually says on page 10 of the Sponsor's Guide is:

You are ineligible to sponsor if:
•you are in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability....

That means you can't sponsor if you are currently on social assistance. The fact that you were 25 years ago is totally irrelevant. Get your application in the mail and stop worrying. Good luck!
Well said, rated you up!

juice

Jan 28, 2010
Okay, thanks ariell. I was quoting the CIC website not the guidebook. But anyway, thanks for clarification, now I get it!

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, the information should be identical in the guidebook or the website, but out of curiosity I took at look at the CIC website. http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp It does actually say:

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:
received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
But I am willing to bet my boots that that is an error on their site. They definitely could not refuse you for previously receiving gov't assistance -- they could only deny if you are currently on assistance.