+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Yes another question about work hours during co-op term :)

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi,

First of all thanks for clicking on my question link...here goes:

I am currently on co-op work term, still waiting for my work permit since over 3 months...my questions are:

1) While in co-op work term can a student work 40 hours (full time with co-op work permit) and 20 hours part time (with study permit work allowance) ?

2) is there a maximum number of hours one can work while on co-op work term? meaning is 40 hours max or the sky is the limit (or in this case the number of hours in a week) ?

3) if i am on co-op and i also take just one course from college/Uni, can i still work the maximum allowed
hours (referenced in question 1 & 2) while in co-op and also being part time student ?

4) If a person is not in co-op or could not find co-op, can they then work the maximum number of hours allowed? and what would be the maximum allowed in this case (40 or even more i.e. upto the max number of hours in a week) ?

5) if a person can not find co-op, and it is the designated break semester (which is in winter term) and also taking a course from college, can they still work full time or will the regular 20 hour max work hour restriction apply.....Considering they are taking a course from college (which makes them also part time student)?

Thanks if people can reply with short answers and hopefully any valid reference links to back this up.

Have a nice day !

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
How are you both on coop work term AND waiting for work permit? Coop is normally required to be done to graduate.

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi,
I meant i am waiting for my co-op work permit. That's a separate work permit compared to the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). The co-op work permit is usually valid for the 4 months during which a student is in co-op term. Its part of the study program of certain degrees/diplomas.

Yasamannasa

Nov 1, 2019
Hi,

I am currently on co-op work term, still waiting for my work permit since over 3 months...my questions are:

1) While in co-op work term can a student work 40 hours (full time with co-op work permit) and 20 hours part time (with study permit work allowance) ?

2) is there a maximum number of hours one can work while on co-op work term? meaning is 40 hours max or the sky is the limit (or in this case the number of hours in a week) ?

3) if i am on co-op and i also take just one course from college/Uni, can i still work the maximum allowed
hours (referenced in question 1 & 2) while in co-op and also being part time student ?

4) If a person is not in co-op or could not find co-op, can they then work the maximum number of hours allowed? and what would be the maximum allowed in this case (40 or even more i.e. upto the max number of hours in a week) ?

5) if a person can not find co-op, and it is the designated break semester (which is in winter term) and also taking a course from college, can they still work full time or will the regular 20 hour max work hour restriction apply.....Considering they are taking a course from college (which makes them also part time student)?

Thanks if people can reply with short answers and hopefully any valid reference links to back this up.

Have a nice day !
Hi
Can you please tell me the answer of your first question ? if you know it

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi
Can you please tell me the answer of your first question ? if you know it

Yes, you can do so. There is a co-op work permit allowance of upto 40 hours per week. Plus, additionally, 20 hours per week based on normal semester work allowance.

Of course, working so much will cause a lot of stress, and you will not be able to concentrate as much on your co-op. Ideally it would be better if you just focus on your co-op, and get a good recommendation from your co-op company, who may also hire you for a 2nd co-op term or full time later. That's a decision you will have to take.

Reactions: jaaayy

airforce1907

Dec 23, 2018
Yes, you can do so. There is a co-op work permit allowance of upto 40 hours per week. Plus, additionally, 20 hours per week based on normal semester work allowance.

Of course, working so much will cause a lot of stress, and you will not be able to concentrate as much on your co-op. Ideally it would be better if you just focus on your co-op, and get a good recommendation from your co-op company, who may also hire you for a 2nd co-op term or full time later. That's a decision you will have to take.
you ever got your PGWP, bro? I am in the same situation as you

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Yes, I graduated last December and got my pgwp in March. Am working full time with a company now. But I made sure I was always working with in the limits of my work permit/study permit allowance. I did work both co-op and part time work during my co-op term last year, but it was because I had some financial obligations/requirements. In hindsight, in an ideal world, it would have been better if I had just concentrated on my co-op during that time

airforce1907

Dec 23, 2018
Yes, I graduated last December and got my pgwp in March. Am working full time with a company now. But I made sure I was always working with in the limits of my work permit/study permit allowance. I did work both co-op and part time work during my co-op term last year, but it was because I had some financial obligations/requirements. In hindsight, in an ideal world, it would have been better if I had just concentrated on my co-op during that time
did you list your part-time and co-op jobs in the employment history section of the imm5710?

jaaayy

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
So
Hi,

Have a nice day !

So ideally the conclusion is we can work on XYX company full time (40 hrs) (Monday - Friday ) and also we can work on ABC (part-time job) company study permit work allowance (20hrs ) (sat-sun) . I just got my co-op work permit and the status of it Is OPEN so was eager to know. Do let me know . Thankyou

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
So

So ideally the conclusion is we can work on XYX company full time (40 hrs) (Monday - Friday ) and also we can work on ABC (part-time job) company study permit work allowance (20hrs ) (sat-sun) . I just got my co-op work permit and the status of it Is OPEN so was eager to know. Do let me know . Thankyou
Short answer .... YES
Long Answer (to quote from Univ of Water co-op website):...."During your co-op term, legally, you may also work on your study permit for non-co-op creditable work for up to 20 hours/week off-campus and / or unlimited hours/week on-campus. Please consider discussing this with your co-op advisor so that you can balance your time and life expectations, and perform well in all your commitments ....."

So you can, but your work life balance would be non-existence so the weekend which should be spent for recharging your batteries, would be spent working....tl:dr doable yes, recommended (for sake of sanity) no.

Reactions: jaaayy