+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong year on confirmation of permanent residence - no SIN - HELP!

FraFra

Jan 26, 2015
Hello everyone I have a question for you.

I arrived on January 16, 2015 at the Vancouver International Airport from Germany and finally became a PR in Canada through family sponsorship (stamp of arrival in my passport proofs this). The border officer signed my Confirmation of Permanent Residence and I was so happy everything worked out well...until I arrived at Service Canada to find out that the border officer accidentally wrote down 16 Jan 2014 instead of 16 Jan 2015 on the section 'Became P.R. on:' :eek:
Service Canada told me that they can't give me an SIN number since I can only apply for one within the first 90 days with these temporary papers. When I called the Immigration Canada hotline they told me that I have to send in a request by mail to change these papers (which I did right away) but this can take up to 6 month (!!). I called Service Canada again and they told me that only with my actual PR card which will arrive in about 45 days they can issue a SIN number. :(
Without a SIN number I can't legally work in Canada. It wasn't my fault the officer wrote down the wrong year. Is there nothing I can do to get this number faster?
Thanks so much for your help!

PS: On the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website it even says that: You entered Canada at the Vancouver International Airport office on January 16, 2015 and became a Permanent Resident. Could I use this?

RWoods

Dec 9, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 16, 2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF - September 10, 2014
File Transfer...
August 7, 2014
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
LANDED..........
January 10, 2015 - YAY!!!!
I too had the wrong date on my Copr papers. I landed January 10th but the officer wrote January 15th. It was Service Canada who noticed it in my case too when I went for my SIN#. For me since the dates are only 5 days apart I'm not going to worry about it. I am guessing this happens quite a bit.