+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong visa type

chaoliu

Jun 22, 2019
Hi I applied a visitor visa and got approved. However when I got my passport back this morning, I found they made a mistake and issued me a student visa instead of visitor visa. How can I get help to fix this?

Yaha14

Jun 11, 2017
If you are inside Canada: Call the IRCC Call Centre (1-888-242-2100), from within Canada only, Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm local time, except for statutory holidays). To speak to an agent, navigate through the automated messages by pressing 3-4-1-0.

chaoliu

Jun 22, 2019
If you are inside Canada: Call the IRCC Call Centre (1-888-242-2100), from within Canada only, Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm local time, except for statutory holidays). To speak to an agent, navigate through the automated messages by pressing 3-4-1-0.
Thanks! I'll try that on Monday.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi I applied a visitor visa and got approved. However when I got my passport back this morning, I found they made a mistake and issued me a student visa instead of visitor visa. How can I get help to fix this?
You don't need to do anything. A TRV is a TRV.

chaoliu

Jun 22, 2019
Please call IRCC and clarify/sort it out before travelling. A student visa and a visitor visa are very different as they carry different requirements.I know of someone who was turned away at Toronto airport 3 months ago because she had the wrong visitor visa.She had the business visitor visa valid for 10 years yet she wasnt coming for business but to visit family and friends.
You will enter as a visitor.
Thanks for all the help. I just did a bunch of calls. IRCC told me to contact VFS global. VFS told me to contact consulate. Consulate told me they don't have access to the applications and send me back to VFS. So now I'm stucked in a loophole.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for all the help. I just did a bunch of calls. IRCC told me to contact VFS global. VFS told me to contact consulate. Consulate told me they don't have access to the applications and send me back to VFS. So now I'm stucked in a loophole.
You aren't in a loophole. This is not the first time that this has happened. CBSA decides what status to give you when entering. You will be allowed in as a visitor.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Please call IRCC and clarify/sort it out before travelling. A student visa and a visitor visa are very different as they carry different requirements.I know of someone who was turned away at Toronto airport 3 months ago because she had the wrong visitor visa.She had the business visitor visa valid for 10 years yet she wasnt coming for business but to visit family and friends.
Everyone "knows someone". If you search the forum, you will find threads of business visitors who entered for tourism purposes without issue.

A TRV is a stamp in a passport allowing a person to board a commercial carrier to Canada. It has nothing to do with status in Canada, which is granted by CBSA upon entry. A study permit has very different requirements than visitor status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
This quote irritates me! Yes i know someone who was turned away three months ago and that remains a fact.To respond by a dismissive statement that "everyone knows someone" makes me feel like throwing some nasty words to you but i will let it go for now.You can advise the OP however much you like and your advise could be right or wrong but you cant argue with the fact that i know someone who was turned away 3 months ago.
Go right ahead with whatever words you want to say. This is a public forum and no one here knows if you are telling the truth or not. People make things up on this forum all of the time. The "I know someone" cliche is used on here a lot, often to provide wrong information. That is why it tends to not be something we give credence to.

In regards to the friend you speak of, no one knows the full story of what happened, including you, as you weren't there. Perhaps she lied about her intentions or had some other issue that led to her being refused.