+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wrong status on TRV as visitor instead of student

gunnu3007

Sep 4, 2021
Im currently a student in canada and i recently applied for temporary resident visa under the valid study permit.
Issue starts as my temporary resident visa is approved as visitor and i currently have a family emergency to attend by september 15th.

As my status is set to visitor on my temporary resident visa and having a legal document as study permit, i have these following questions

1.How can i face CBSA officer when i return after the family emergency? if they just ask why do i have visitor visa on valid study permit - what do i answer? if i dont answer to that question properly will i get deported?
2.I have seen on IRCC webpage that if a temporary resident's visa changes from student to visitor do i loose the chance to apply for work permit or extend study permit in the near future?(my study permit is still valid will it create problems while i apply at PGWP?)

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Im currently a student in canada and i recently applied for temporary resident visa under the valid study permit.
Issue starts as my temporary resident visa is approved as visitor and i currently have a family emergency to attend by september 15th.

As my status is set to visitor on my temporary resident visa and having a legal document as study permit, i have these following questions

1.How can i face CBSA officer when i return after the family emergency? if they just ask why do i have visitor visa on valid study permit - what do i answer? if i dont answer to that question properly will i get deported?
2.I have seen on IRCC webpage that if a temporary resident's visa changes from student to visitor do i loose the chance to apply for work permit or extend study permit in the near future?(my study permit is still valid will it create problems while i apply at PGWP?)
Seeing as fully vaccinated visitors will be allowed in Sept 7, you shouldn't have any issues at the border as long as you are fully vaccinated. Make sure you have your valid study permit with you.

Jan 24, 2022

Hi, could you please update your experience when you returned to Canada? Did you face any problem? I have the same issue.

Last edited: