App. Filed.......
18-03-2010 CIO / 01-06-2010 VISA Office
Doc's Request.
25-05-2010
AOR Received.
25-05-2010 CIO/ 26-09-2010 VISA Office
Hello all.
Just a very simple query.
Do we need to send a written statement of your language proficiency (with supporting documentation) with the application to CIO Sydney? Whilst the checklist does not mention this, the instruction form for completing the application forms is slightly ambiguous on this matter and states that a CIC officer will evaluate your language ability?
Appreciate any guidance on this matter.
FYI. Have collected ALL docs and am sumbitting to CIO on 15 March!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you don't need to send a written submission or IELTS to the CIO but keep in mind that unless English is your mother tongue, it's advisable to take the IELTS rather than try for a written submission.

PSSAUKCY

Mar 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2010 CIO / 01-06-2010 VISA Office
Doc's Request.
25-05-2010
AOR Received.
25-05-2010 CIO/ 26-09-2010 VISA Office
THX V. MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY

sunshy

Star Member
Mar 15, 2010
my question is it is advisable but is it compulsory? after 10th april i can understand that it is risky but if you have already applied can you send further documents without them asking you for ielts. havnt they advised us not to send further documents otheer than the application

Leon said:
No, you don't need to send a written submission or IELTS to the CIO but keep in mind that unless English is your mother tongue, it's advisable to take the IELTS rather than try for a written submission.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is not compulsory to take IELTS. Just advisable. What has happened in some cases is that they ask you for IELTS and in other cases they don't ask your for IELTS but give you whatever points they feel like, sometimes no points at all. This has caused some people to go below 67 points and get refused.

bhac

Sep 13, 2009
It looks strange but it s true , without ielts , one is at the mercy of visa officer.

canadp

Feb 25, 2009
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2010
LANDED..........
29-07-2010
For Everbody who is going to submit FULL APPLICATION :

It is better that you give IELTS if you need more than 8 points in language efficiency.

I submitted written document where as I needed 10 points to reach 67 points.

I was not sure that they will provide me a chance to go for IELTS. ( Fortunately I got that )

They awarded me 8 points and request for IELTS.

I got overall 6.5 band and submitted it. which was not enough for getting 10 points. ( Fortunately I got medical & RPRF Request )

So I suggest you to submit IELTS with full application.

In case, if you have already submitted full application without IELTS then wait till you get IELTS request.

But during the time , start preparing for your IELTS exam ( JUST PREPARE BUT DO NOT GO FOR EXAM ).

Once you receive IELTS request then go for exam and submit it.

Thanks

canadp

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-04-2010 (Reached Ottawa May 4 2010)
Interview........
waived
PSSAUKCY said:
Hello all.
Just a very simple query.
Do we need to send a written statement of your language proficiency (with supporting documentation) with the application to CIO Sydney? Whilst the checklist does not mention this, the instruction form for completing the application forms is slightly ambiguous on this matter and states that a CIC officer will evaluate your language ability?
Appreciate any guidance on this matter.
FYI. Have collected ALL docs and am sumbitting to CIO on 15 March!
This is what I wrote and got my English language requirement waived by the visa office:

Proficiency in English Language – Letter of explanation

Dear Immigration Officer:
I pursued my PhD studies at the University of XXXXXXX USA from year 2000 to 2004 and received a PhD degree in XXXXXXX (subject) in XXXXX (year). I successfully completed the English proficiency requirements which were a necessary prerequisite for joining the PhD program by securing 623 points in the Test for English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and 600 points on the Verbal section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). These requirements have been mentioned in my PhD transcript which has been attached with the application.
As a part of my current job requirement, I am engaged in training undergraduate students in cell culture and molecular genetics and possess the required fluency in English for conducting these activities. I am also actively engaged in scientific research publication at the highest level in the United States. I have authored over 19 research publications and 30 abstracts during my research career. I am also involved in writing research proposals for securing funding from federal and private grant agencies in the United States. I am a reviewer for 9 scientific research journals and my duties include reviewing scientific manuscripts for suitability for publication in the journals; thus I act as a judge of other peoples scientific research work. Thus from the period of August 2000 to December 2007, I have used English as a medium of instruction for satisfying my academic and job requirements. Please see the employment contract and the letter from the employment agency as evidence for the above.
Additionally, I have completed 12 years of primary and secondary education, 4 years of undergraduate education and 2 years of post-graduate education using English as a language medium. I attended the XXXXXX (name of the school)in XXXXXXX (name of the city), India during my 1st to 12th grade and received instruction in English thorough out this period. English was my first language for my Senior Secondary Certificate as well as my Higher Secondary Certificate examinations. Thus I have been trained in English from my 1st grade till my post-graduate studies. Please see the attached copies of these certificates as evidence.
The official documentation for the requirement of English in my education and job settings should act as proof of my English language proficiency.

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it will depend... in ur case, ur studies, where the medium of instruction was english, and high points on education has reduced the need for points on language.

for everyone - it may not be advisable.

Joey

Apr 2, 2010
Can I use the interview notes of an immigration officer from a previous Canadian immigration application as proof of language proficiency?

In that letter, the immigration officer stated that I can understand intermediate French, and that I speak and understand English fluently.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As I am sure has been said here before, IELTS and TEF are the only proof of language skills that CIC will accept without a doubt. If you use anything else, you are at the mercy of the IO. You can definitely use interview notes from a past interview with an IO as a part of a written submission but it's is up to the IO who is processing your new application if they accept that or not.

sunshy

Star Member
Mar 15, 2010
ok so now that my full application is already submitted can i make a case specific inquiry and ask them that i want to submit ielst result? ( i am appearing for the exam)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunshy said:
ok so now that my full application is already submitted can i make a case specific inquiry and ask them that i want to submit ielst result? ( i am appearing for the exam)
Yes, you can do that or you can wait and see if they ask you for IELTS. The problem with waiting seems to be that you don't know for certain what will happen. Usually they will give you the chance to take IELTS if they don't believe your written statement but in some cases it has happened to people that they were not given the chance but given some number of points lower than they had asked for, in some cases zero.