Sep 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

I've just gotten a email asking me (the sponsor) and my wife (the applicant) to write our written intentions on how and when we plan to move to Canada. My question is that, I've already provided them with this info including a letter from a uncle stating he will provide a home, food and work at his company, etc during my stay here, however more info is needed.

My wife and I applied for her to sponsored last December, now I've moved back to Canada three weeks now, living at my uncles place, with shelter, food and currently searching for a job. What kind of a written intention would i need to write and what kind of written intention would my wife need to write, examples would be great if you could provide any.

Thank you in advance!

I

iarblue

Just write a essay on it,supply it to them they may have overlooked the other.Just tell them all your plans for your life in Canada get your spouse to do the same.

rachel6992

Star Member
Oct 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 5th 2010
Passport Req..
July 19th 2010
LANDED..........
August 11, 2010
They sent us the same email, and we also had included a letter from my aunt, basically stating the same thing that your uncle did. We sent another copy of the letter (in case they had misplaced it), plus a detailed letter of what our plans are once we get to Canada, and a letter from my current employer stating that I would be eligible to apply for a transfer to a hotel in Vancouver. Hopefully this is enough!
It's hard to make concrete plans when you have no idea how long the process will take. It seems like that would be somewhat logical to them, but I guess not...

Good luck!

Berti

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rachel6992 said:
They sent us the same email, and we also had included a letter from my aunt, basically stating the same thing that your uncle did. We sent another copy of the letter (in case they had misplaced it), plus a detailed letter of what our plans are once we get to Canada, and a letter from my current employer stating that I would be eligible to apply for a transfer to a hotel in Vancouver. Hopefully this is enough!
It's hard to make concrete plans when you have no idea how long the process will take. It seems like that would be somewhat logical to them, but I guess not...

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, just wondering did you and your spouse send in one explanation letter or two, I mean it asks that you and your spouse to send in a letter explaining how, when and why you want to move to Canada? was an essay type of letter, short or long... sorry just want to get advice from those who already been down that road and can offer the best advice.

rachel6992

Star Member
Oct 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 5th 2010
Passport Req..
July 19th 2010
LANDED..........
August 11, 2010
Well we briefly explained it on the application. Then when they asked for more proof, we sent a letter - about 4 brief paragraphs. It basically explained our situation now (why I haven't moved back to Canada yet), what our plans will be, and an expanation of the attached proof.

Hope this helps!

ChristyandRob

Mar 26, 2010
Nova Scotia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-03-2010
File Transfer...
23-04-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
09-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2010
LANDED..........
01-10-2010
We put together a Word document with a table. In the first table we wrote 'action points' and in the second column we wrote dates. In a third column we wrote how we were going to go about doing it and expected timeframe (e.g. April 2010 - Begin searching Monster.Ca and sending off job applications. Source shipping companies and request quotes. Speak to the vet about getting inoculations for our three 3 cats. Etc.)

Happy to send you a copy of what we did by PM if it helps

Berti

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@rachel6992 would you be able to send me a sample copy via email?

@ChristyandRob yes please, a sample would be very helpful, I'm just having truble thinging what to put down, so if you can please do send it to me. Thanks in advance.

rachel6992

Star Member
Oct 31, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
April 5th 2010
Passport Req..
July 19th 2010
LANDED..........
August 11, 2010
Hi Berti,

I don't have the letter we sent saved on my computer. I'll get ahold of it and forward it to you - it may take a couple of days. Anyway, as soon as I get it I'll send it over.

Take care!!

Rachel

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Rachel and Christy - could you post your examples on here, so we all could see them? I'm sure lots of people would like an example of what kind of letter to write.
Thanks.

Berti

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Rachel6992, I appriciate that. Yes I can wait no problem, i really appreciate your help.

ChristyandRob

Mar 26, 2010
Nova Scotia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-03-2010
File Transfer...
23-04-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
09-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2010
LANDED..........
01-10-2010
canadianwoman said:
Rachel and Christy - could you post your examples on here, so we all could see them? I'm sure lots of people would like an example of what kind of letter to write.
Thanks.
Hi Berti / canadianwoman: Here is a short sample from our doc (which was nearly 2 pages in length, once we finished typing out all the action points in detail). Sorry about the formatting. Originally, 'Time Period' and 'Action Point' were in two separate columns.

TIME PERIOD ACTION POINT

February 2010 Begin collecting Common-Law Partner Visa Application documentation.
March 2010 Submit Common-Law Partner Visa Application to Mississauga
March 2010 Begin assessing the job market in Toronto and prepare a list of potential employers (we will add to this list over the coming months). Begin making initial enquiries and register on online job boards (e.g. Monster.com)

April 2010 SPONSOR NAME: Begin contacting network to let people know that he's returning to Canada, to
a) re-establish ties with friends and acquaintances
b) begin sounding out ex-colleagues, family and friends about job opportunities in Toronto for NAME / NAME

April 2010 APPLICANT NAME:
Continue to maintain contact with people she met in Canada (SPONSOR'S family and friends), to continue building a good relationship with them. This will make settling into Canada a lot easier

May 2010 Begin searching for a shipping company to forward our possessions from Germany to Toronto.

May 2010 Continue applying for job opportunities in Toronto.

June 2010 Continue applying for job opportunities in Toronto.

July 2010 Continue applying for job opportunities in Toronto.

August 2010 If X's visa is well in progress (or has been processed) in VISA OFFICE, we will book flight tickets (fully realizing that the ticket date may need to be changed / cancelled, depending on VISA OFFICE'S current processing times / decision) and notify the airline that our cats will be travelling with us. The cats have valid ‘cat passports' and we will ensure they have updated shots, if required, at this point.

August 2010 Begin lining up and confirming job interview appointments to attend when we arrive in Toronto

September 2010 Begin actively searching for rental accommodation in Toronto. SPONSOR is from Toronto, so he's familiar with the various residential areas, rental costs and leases, etc. Should we find something via the internet, once a Toronto-based family member has visited the property on our behalf and confirmed its suitability, we will make arrangements to immediately pay for and secure the accommodation. We plan to rent a pet-friendly, reasonably sized apartment within reasonable distance of a subway station. SPONSOR'S parents have a good-sized house in X, Toronto and offered us SPONSOR's old room (a large room in the basement, with its own bathroom / shower facilities) to stay in until we settle in, especially if we haven't secured an apartment before our arrival. This will allow us time to search for our own place. However, we hope to find our own place before we arrive (or as soon as possible after), to make it as easy as possible for us and the cats to settle in.

September 2010 SPONSOR and APPLICANT’s job contracts in Germany expire on 30 September 2010. We’ll begin applying for a tax refund (which we will add to our savings) and give notice to our rental agency, (our lease expires at the end of October)

September 2010 Sell possessions that we can’t take with us to Canada (dishwasher, washing machine, oven, steam oven and stove, bookshelf, sofa, kitchen unit, food processor, iron, hairdryer, lamps and APPLICANT’s small writing desk).

September 2010 Purchase air travel-suitable travelling cages for our cats (we’ll seek the guidance of the airline – we’ll probably fly with Air Canada). SPONSOR brought one of our cats from Toronto several years ago, so he’s familiar with the process.

September 2010 SPONSOR: Cancel mobile phone contract (APPLICANT has a pay-as-you-go phone, so has no contract)

October 2010 If APPLICANT’s visa is issued prior to this time, we plan to fly to Toronto at the beginning of October. Our possessions (excepting check-in / hand luggage) will be shipped ahead.

October 2010 Arrange for the refund of our 2 months’ rental deposit (c. €1250 / CAD 1720) from our rental agency

October 2010 Move to Toronto. Initially stay with SPONSOR’s parents until we find a place of our own, if we haven’t found an apartment already. Immediately begin attending job interviews and personally visiting recruitment agencies, English language schools, etc. (we’re both Business English Trainers)

In total, we have 19 actions points. Even though it was originally to show our visa office our intentions, it's also been useful as a 'to do list' because there are so many things to do when you're moving, and we've found it's hard to remember everything without some sort of list ;)

I really hope this helps someone. We've found this forum so very helpful and reassuring and we'd love to give something back somehow!

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Wow, all those action points provided much more detail than I did. I merely stated where we planned to rent prior to buying a house, the regions we were focusing on before finally deciding where to live, and a copy of the lease I arranged online.

If you are now back in Canada, you might attach a list of companies you have approached for work, and copies of any written replies. I'd make the cover letter as brief as possible, and refer to the attachments in case the Visa Officer wants to be detailed.

Of course, my advice comes with the caveat that my wife's PR application hasn't been processed yet. (It was submitted to the embassy in December; I hope they don't charge us too much for storage!! :p )

I assume the other advice is from people whose letter of intention was subsequently accepted by CIC, so give more weight to it.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
ChristyandRob, thanks. It looks really good - too much detail is better than too little, for immigration!

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
this is great! I Think I'll actually start one up now for us, what we've done already (some of those points we have begun) and work on a projected timeline of things we'd end up having to do.
Thanks for sharing!

Berti

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you ChristyandRob, that's an amazing list of plans... your list has given me ideas on how to proced with my letter of intention, again thank you for taking the time to post this for everyone to see an example of a letter of intention.