+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Writing task 2 - can I make up facts?

MikeGlorious

Mar 16, 2013
Hi there.

I'm taking my IELTS exam in April.

I'm concerned about the writing section.

For example, a topic would be:

"The use of CCTV (close circuit television) cameras in streets, stations, shops and other public places has increased rapidly in recent years. Although we are told that these cameras help in the fight against crime, some people are opposed to their use. They believe that everyone has a right to privacy. (serve more as an invasion of our privacy than as a protection of our safety). To what extent do you agree or disagree?"

For example, can I make up facts or state something as a fact even though it might actually not be in one of my supporting paragraphs?

Ex.:
"Many agree that CCTV cameras help reducing the crime rate. As an example, the reports from one of the states in the US said that after the installation of CCTV in shops and stations, the amount of vandalism and roberries were reduced by 50%."

So I made up the "50%" part, and I don't remember the exact state that saw those results, either.

I think there was an article somewhere on the net about how much these cameras helped with crime there, but obviously, I do not remember the exact numbers.

So is it okay to make up facts or what should I do instead to support my arguments when I don't know any real-life examples?

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
as long as you don't write something too crazy, you should be fine.