+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WP with toddler.

mbstewart

Jun 12, 2014
Hi,

I've lived and worked in Alberta a few years back, now wife and i would like to go back and do the same again with the view to doing PR.

I've read it a thousand times but can't seem to grasp the answer to this question: if we're taking our 18 month old with us, do I need an extra application for him? Or do we simply list him on our applications and get processed all together? Wife and I applying for open permits, wife is Registered nurse and is actually registered in Alberta currently, me i'm a graphic designer/photographer.

Thanks guys!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

If you are visa-exempt, then you can ask for a visitor record for your child when you arrive in Canada to match your work permit length. If you aren't visa-exempt, then you must apply for a TRV for your child; you can submit the TRV app with your work permit apps.

How do you and your wife qualify for OWPs?

mbstewart

Jun 12, 2014
Thanks so much for the prompt response. We're Australian Citizens so definitely not visa-exempt (if i'm understanding you).

When we obtained visas back in 2009, we received authorisation for open work permits, this was via the old WHP website that used to be available. We're only applying for the open permits as that's all i'm familiar with. I'm not too familiar with all the other types of permits, and given it was one of the options when doing the questionnaire online, I just chose it for both of us because what i thought was correct.

If you have knowledge that would suggest otherwise, please feel free to say. It is definitely a little more confusing this time around compared to some years ago. And I get the impression a TRV for our 18 month old is what we need to do, so i'll look into that as well.

Many thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Visa-exempt means that you don't require a TRV to visit Canada. As Australians, you definitely ARE visa-exempt.

Refer to your permits as IEC/Working Holiday instead of Open Work Permits. Though it is a type of open work permit, saying OWP instead of IEC/WH on this forum might cause you to receive some incorrect advice, as there are some other forms of OWPs.

You will NOT need a TRV or any form of visa ahead of time for your child. You guys don't even qualify for TRVs because you are visa-exempt. When you arrive in Canada and get your work permits, you can ask the border officer for a visitor record for the child for the same duration as your work permits.

mbstewart

Jun 12, 2014
Canuck_in_UK,

Thanks very much for your timely and accurate response. As you've picked up already, this time i've become somewhat more confused. The difference a few years make :)

It's all making more sense now, and if I get a little stuck again I sure know where to find a possible answer.

Thank you for being understanding and thanks for taking the time to answer.

sincerely,